Where does Oak Ridge go from here?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang folks, I of all people know that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But how productive is all of this? I say we all get together at a bar somewhere, I will buy the first round. Call me here at the paper, we will arrange something.

I am very surprised that this thread has been left open as long as it has. I bet if it was a coach from middle Tennessee or not Oak Ridge, it would have been closed at the first hint of coach bashing.

But again, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sadly, I say that, but I am in a position to where I have to shut up a lot of the time. You Oak Ridge faithful know the proper way to go about handling in-house strife.

Don't close this thread the rest of the state is enjoying it to much. :lol::lol:

Tnbreakers and Tank you two need to get with Me, Ole Dad and Lost Old Dad in the Boro for Ribs. And I'm good for the third round.

Better off with wings as there are no good ribs here in the Boro. Only ones that are even halfway decent are at Corkys.

Wings at Toots or Hooters would be a much better choice.

Now I gotta get off here and go fix me something to eat as this has got me HUNGRY! :lol:

Ntheknow2,

I do have that little piece of paper that would allow me to do that, but you miss the point. I have no desire to coach OR's team, but I have seen three of my boys go through this program, and I might have a little insight on this subject. My last son finishes up this year and it would be easy to let it go, but anyone in the program knows what is happening. By the way, all three will be on scholarship, so it isn't sour grapes. Hopefully we will have a chance to meet up on the hoops circuit. :lol:

Edited by Tnbreakers

Toots in the 'Boro ... talk about bringing back the memories! What cute waitresses they had ... I think the wings were good as well.

Better off with wings as there are no good ribs here in the Boro. Only ones that are even halfway decent are at Corkys.

Wings at Toots or Hooters would be a much better choice.

Now I gotta get off here and go fix me something to eat as this has got me HUNGRY! :lol:

Come on now ImaOWL, you cannot compare the winniest coach (with 10 or more years at one school) in college football with a coach that had one good year (with loads of talent) at Oak Ridge and then came back with a 5 -5 year. And it looks like they are headed to that same record next year. HE IS HORRIBLE!!!!!!

Not to mention he complained about the Oak Ridge fans on his post game last night. Not a smart move coach.

To compare Fulmer with Stevens is just LAUGHABLE!!!!!!!!!!

I truly hate to bring this up...but it's my understanding that the OR football community wanted to bring back Gaddis....no problem for me...Joe is a good friend...but just a reminder...after the 91 Championship team that Gaddis coached...the 92 team was very talented and went 5 and 5...no playoffs..

Food for thought!

Holy Crap!

Someone else told me earlier today almost identical facts.

I will get blamed for bashing I'm sure. But I want to clear this up right now. I was wrong!!!!!!

In January I predicted the Cats to go 6-4. They will likely go 5-5. My mistake.

Ole Dad

O.r. can not even be saved by the ron brown rule.Lucky they dont play clinton now.Me pa and ollie are looking forward to see the dragons beat the cats in basketball again.

Ntheknow2,

I do have that little piece of paper that would allow me to do that, but you miss the point. I have no desire to coach OR's team, but I have seen three of my boys go through this program, and I might have a little insight on this subject. My last son finishes up this year and it would be easy to let it go, but anyone in the program knows what is happening. By the way, all three will be on scholarship, so it isn't sour grapes. Hopefully we will have a chance to meet up on the hoops circuit. ;)

No, I don't think I'm missing the point. I suppose you don't coach because you wouldn't want to be accused of Babysitting 101, would you? That blatant disrespect for people trying to do a job that you would NEVER do as a profession is the point I'm talking about. And I find it ironic that indidividuals have the audacity to accuse a coach, who had a pretty good season last year and not so good of one this year, of receiving the glory for the coach who came before him when everyone knows Oak Ridge has plenty of parents who bring their kids into the program because of their winning program. So, when you work with a program from the ground up, you let me know and then you might have a legit. gripe.

Oh, and no you won't be seeing me on the hoops circuit this year because I've hung up my basketball shoes for the love of DIV. I. But good luck with that as well.

For rivarlys sake, I hope Oak Ridge is back next year. Being related cities, the Atomic City and Model City hold football as a tradition and it has been the most anticipated game of the early football season in 5A in years past. Let's keep the winning tradition of not only this rivarly alive, but also for each programs sake.

Best of luck to Oak Ridge next year. Take it home baby.

-Bub, in Kingsport

Just for the record, when Coach Lussier didn't make the playoffs in 2001, and even until he left on his own accord, I heard pretty much the same discontent. It is hard to get a team of young athletes to follow a coach when the parents are the one who make this kind of noise. Many parents caused untold troubles for Lussier's team for many years and it was simply because they did not like the man. I supported Coach Lussier even when I disagreed with him and when a lot of the Wildcat Nation wanted him gone. Coach Lussier left on his own accord, for his own reasons, and I admire him for it. I wish him and his family only the best.

Many posts refer to the administrations refusal to hire the recommendation of a selction committee. It was just that, a recommendation. Others that were considered turned the offer down. When Coach Gaddis departed I believe there were MANY issues facing the School System regarding his employment which I sure played a lot into any decision not to rehire him. Coach Gaddis left on his own and I respect him for that decision. I wish him only the best.

If you want a change, this is not the forum for it. This forum only causes discontent and untold problems with everyone, from fans to athletes.

I do not like losing for many reasons, one I am a strong Oak Ridge fan, second losing divides the community, and third (and probably the one I hate the most) is the pain it causes these young athletes. I too had a son go through this program and saw both, the thrill of victory and the pain of defeat. Telling these young athletes they have a bad coach or disparaging the coach only increases the pain and takes some of the joy from victory.

As for this team and the Coaches. I say ignore the world and do what you came together as a TEAM to do, play the game.

It is sad to see the Oak Ridge program go from state finalist to out of the playoffs in one year. The head coach obviously had a great group of seniors that he rode to the Championship game last year. He of course choked at the Championship game by passing to set up the run when you had one of the best running backs in state history (Spencer Gulmire), a great O-line and the "DARK SIDE" defense.

Coach Stevens has a lot to work on before next year. Oak Ridge fans will not take losing PERIOD!

Of course, if we have a season next year that mirrors this year then that puts Oak Ridge in the same position they were 2 years ago. Looking for a head coach. And we know how that goes, they select a search committee, they go through interviews, select a candidate and the superintendent/outside influences reject the committees recommendation and select their own candidate. Great job on that one.

Basketball can not get here soon enough.

Roll Wildcats Roll!!!

I'm not from Oak Ridge, but i've just been listening to the complaining all year. I didn't start hearing any of this until you all lost the state championship game. All the way up to that point everyone was pretty hush and now all of a sudden he's the worst coach in the world because the talent level this year isn't like last year. To be honest, if OR is all about politics. Stop playing all the boosters kids and put the best people on the field and you all wouldn't have that problem. Oh, that is the problem and that's why basketball will be here for you after next week.