What happens if privates sweep 1A, 2A and 3A titles this year?

tnsddeveloper

greetings boiled coach.

going with the 64% ratio for the year as a whole (playoffs 30 game sample vs around 200 games for the year)

the odds of a 2-game private sweep should stand at about 41%

the odds of a public sweep at about 13%

as far as waiting 10 years to draw any conclusion on the multiplier

we have some 400 games in the bank, with privates winning 2/3 of the time.

21 of 22 regular season weeks the privates won more than they lost.

with the 40 years of dominance leading up to this point i am ready to draw a conclusion....

but the conclusion is not for a higher multiplier,

even i dont think it is all about numbers.

all privates are not the same.

among that other 1/3 of the games are some people no one seems to care about.

zion and ncs have been pushed to the point of begging for mercy

(which the tssaa in its wisdom would not give).

they arent the only privates that dont hang their hat on gold balls.

sure we could work the system out so that things come out even as a whole

we could even rearrange the playoffs so that odds would be that privates would win 16% of the d-1 titles.

so we have to get the zions beaten bloody every week.

so we drive the lighthouses clear out of the tssaa.

so st andrews has to log enough miles to circumnavigate the globe to play a football schedule

so father ryan has to get beaten up weekly in order to fulfill their mission

(and goodpasture can fill a case with gold balls by abandoning theirs)

what it is all about is what is best for all the kids.

either a merit system or no classifications at all.

whoops, there is that danged soapbox again.

I love soapboxes! The thing I like best about yours is "what is best for all the kids." Most don't really seem to care about or consider that! I am on record as saying that we should start football season after September 1, play ten or eleven regular season games and have one bowl game possibility for teams with a better than .500 winning percentage. We could be finished by no later than Thanksgiving and teams could play whomever they wanted to play, with no regard to enrollment figures, school funding, financial aid or anything else. My humble and lightly regarded opinion is that this would be best for the kids who play football, physically, academically, socially and maybe some other way that I don't know a word for!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guess is...not what I think is right...but my guess is that the TSSAA will do little...they tend to like to leave the money machine well enough alone...I also think with the state actor issue and Brentwood academy suit hanging out there they will be slow to change until resolved...I don't pretend to understand that issue or know who is right or wil prevail...I am just betting any business will want to knw there exposure before going foreward...my bet is even if all 3 gold balls in 1A, 2A and 3A go to private schools little will change...but if it does...(sorry to be a broken record)...I hope 3 divisions come out of it not two...

Edited by JaxMan

• 2 weeks later...

The opinion has been given on here if that happened, privates would sue to join the new group.

likewise, the publics, if there is ever a vote for a complete split, will do everything possible to preclude the privates from leaving the TSSAA and forming their own organization (as in, blocking them from recognition from the national governing bodies), so that they can keep receiving the privates' dues money without having to play them.

likewise, the publics, if there is ever a vote for a complete split, will do everything possible to preclude the privates from leaving the TSSAA and forming their own organization (as in, blocking them from recognition from the national governing bodies), so that they can keep receiving the privates' dues money without having to play them.

Not only that, I think the publics are scared of the thought of not being able to regulate the "rules" the privates play under. For example, if the privates start their own org (which they will do if ALL are forced into D2), they very well may implement recruiting rules where they can recruit kids and offer scholarships. I'm very close friends with a very, very good public school baseball coach ... and he said that he once his full retirement hit (which isn't long), he would move to the private ranks for the very reason.

Instead of splitting or kicking the privates out of the TSSAA why don't the small public schools leave the TSSAA and start their own association. Let the TSSAA have their privates and let them play each other.

They already get to play each other???????

And a complete split would destroy local rivalries. Take Jackson for example. You have 3 major privates - USJ, Trinity and JCS. Then there's the publics - Northside, Southside, JCM, Madison, Liberty, and then the surrounding communities. Well, I guarantee you that the students in the schools enjoy and want to play each other - for bragging rights in Jackson. Different sports, different results. Soccer Madison beats JSC - Basketball, JCS beats Madison. There's an incredible amount of rivalry between the schools for competitiion as to they think is best, and the kids want to play these games. Split the privates from the publics and there's no incentive to play these rivalries.