What happens if privates sweep 1A, 2A and 3A titles this year?

tnsddeveloper

So ............ it has happened!

All private 1A final ... FCS vs. JCS.

1 of 2 finalists in 2A ... Goodpasture vs. Alcoa

1 of 2 finalists in 3A ... Lipscomb vs. Fulton

Any repurcussions?

Would have been two very interesting final fours:

GOODPASTURE

LIPSCOMB

EVANGELICAL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL

KNOXVILLE WEBB

FRIENDSHIP

JACKSON CHRISTIAN

DAVIDSON ACADEMY

ST. GEORGE'S

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so to follow the logic of this thread...all privates should forfiet as soon as playoffs start to prevent ending anyones season...becasue somehow it is worse for seniors careers to end against a private...I bet most seniors would hate the season ending regardless of the opponent being public...once again fair is what helps my team...not everyone...

Edited by JaxMan

the problem with message boards is it is hard to hear the sarcasm...I was kidding...so many comments about the number of privates I was trying to have a little fun...the system isn't perfect...but it is the one weve got...we will play in it till they tell us to play elsewhere...then we will move...and play there...we may get killed next year in 2A for instance...but we will work hard...give it our all...and realize not many come home with a gold ball...and the system may not be designed to give us one...

"Yep, and last year 1.5% of small publics won championships and 0% of privates. Of course the private bashers thought that wasn't fair either...after all, there were a couple of privates in the finals..."

you know, you really delight in that little bit of data about winning no championships last year, but the truth is the privates still won 2/3 of their playoff games, the same as this year. not actually winning a title is just a math thing.

it is a product of the number of playoff games, the number of regions with private members, and the number of times that privates have to play other privates...

all combined with a limited data base.

by my calculations, if privates win 2/3 of their games, it should come out with them taking a little over half the titles over time.

should they sweep this year, that number will be right on target.

should the 2/3 figure remain constant, eventually they will win a little over half the titles (no matter how this year comes out).

"Yep, and last year 1.5% of small publics won championships and 0% of privates. Of course the private bashers thought that wasn't fair either...after all, there were a couple of privates in the finals..."

you know, you really delight in that little bit of data about winning no championships last year, but the truth is the privates still won 2/3 of their playoff games, the same as this year. not actually winning a title is just a math thing.

it is a product of the number of playoff games, the number of regions with private members, and the number of times that privates have to play other privates...

all combined with a limited data base.

by my calculations, if privates win 2/3 of their games, it should come out with them taking a little over half the titles over time.

should they sweep this year, that number will be right on target.

should the 2/3 figure remain constant, eventually they will win a little over half the titles (no matter how this year comes out).

Ahh Laz, but the odds are highly against a sweep. In fact they favor a 1 game win for the privates or a 2 game win (which would be slightly above the population percentage but not off by much).

And we both know that we need 10 or more years of data to tell whether the multiplier is going to be valid or not...with only 1 or 2 years we just don't have a big enough data set.

Edited by Baldcoach

greetings boiled coach.

going with the 64% ratio for the year as a whole (playoffs 30 game sample vs around 200 games for the year)

the odds of a 2-game private sweep should stand at about 41%

the odds of a public sweep at about 13%

as far as waiting 10 years to draw any conclusion on the multiplier

we have some 400 games in the bank, with privates winning 2/3 of the time.

21 of 22 regular season weeks the privates won more than they lost.

with the 40 years of dominance leading up to this point i am ready to draw a conclusion....

but the conclusion is not for a higher multiplier,

even i dont think it is all about numbers.

all privates are not the same.

among that other 1/3 of the games are some people no one seems to care about.

zion and ncs have been pushed to the point of begging for mercy

(which the tssaa in its wisdom would not give).

they arent the only privates that dont hang their hat on gold balls.

sure we could work the system out so that things come out even as a whole

we could even rearrange the playoffs so that odds would be that privates would win 16% of the d-1 titles.

so we have to get the zions beaten bloody every week.

so we drive the lighthouses clear out of the tssaa.

so st andrews has to log enough miles to circumnavigate the globe to play a football schedule

so father ryan has to get beaten up weekly in order to fulfill their mission

(and goodpasture can fill a case with gold balls by abandoning theirs)

what it is all about is what is best for all the kids.

either a merit system or no classifications at all.

whoops, there is that danged soapbox again.

That's the thing, the likes of SAS and Lighthouse would benefit from being in a Division II with proper classifications, which couldn't really be put into place as they should have since there aren't enough teams in Division II. Same as David Brainerd, there's no way they need to be playing football against South Pittsburg, yet, but it was either join Division I or travel to Memphis and everywhere inbetween. Now there is just going to be a two class Division II, making it much harder for the smallest privates as well as the midsized schools that will have to compete against a Brentwood Academy. If the split could be voted in, a lot of these current Division I private schools would have it a lot easier than some might realize, playing against other 150 student schools instead of a region game against a Trousdale, Mt Pleasant or South Pittsburg. Like I said in another post, if approached and convinced they'd be in a proper class, I also believe current non-TSSAA members would consider joining and playing in a Division II, Class A in a three-class system. That would make for better travel and more even Division II matchups at the smallest level, and some of those schools have better athletes than you might think. One has had six graduates sign to play sports in college in recent years with an enrollment of 80. That's more than some schools 10 times its size.