AAA State Champions?

kickgrass

The current way of getting to the state is the best way that they have under the current districting/regional set-up. We all know there are strong districts/regions and weak districts/regions across the state. The current set-up takes the top 2 teams from each district to the region and weeds out the weak region, then the sectional in many cases further weeds out the weaker areas. If 2 teams from the same district advance through all of that then they both deserve to be at the state quarterfinals.

As we all said many times the team that can put together the big run and peak at the right time will prevail. Seems to me that CAK and Beardon both showed how that theory is correct. Not many folks picked either of those to win it prior to the start of the tournament. Congrats to both for their success.

The most successful High School coaches are the ones that have the good players delivered to them. Very few develop players. Not very many teams in Chattanooga had players that did not play club ball. These players were developed elsewhere. Now having said that, the coaches in Chatt. were very good at managing games and motivating their players to succeed, which is also good coaching. I personally don't think that under TSSAA restrictions, High School coaches have the time to develop players. So the newly proposed rule regarding club participation will continue to keep the weak teams down. I don't think you can judge high school coaches on the 8 at the state tournament, or discredit the rest. Does the TSSAA offer any clinics for high school soccer coaches? I think that we are just coming in to a generation of men and women at the coaching/teaching level that have actually played and love the game and I would not be surprised to see it iomprove over the next few years.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have said this for 4 years now you lose you have a better shot at winning state

example: last year region 4 we(tullahoma) knew if we got beat by siegel we would advance futher than they them at state and siegel deserved to be their more than we did

what do you think farragut is feeling right now they're like whats wrong we beat bearden 3 times(and i don't care who controled the games) but bearden wins the state title

its like what else do we have to do

well to put ot bluntly YOU LOSE

as sad as this is it's completely true...and i don't know if there really is a solution to it where everyone will be happy...but then again not everyone ever is happy at once and i honestly don't think anything will change about the tournament in the near future

But you know, Farragut is the ONLY team that is scratching their head. They didn't win when it came crunch time, simple. Bearden did what it had to do for several games, beating the best ranked teams and that's what championships are all about. In fact, I would much prefer more teams in the playoffs than fewer, because that is what makes the cream rise to the top. It was Bearden's year. They win a championship and all you can think of is why they shouldn't even be there! Why is that not OK with you MJUHB? Not your team, your region, your pick? Just sounds like sour grapes to me.

The mediocre statement is "as a whole". Of course, there are some coaches that grade at the top, but the curve is by far in favor of the bottom. How many HS coaches are doing anything to develop talent in the off-season other than say, "play club". To many of the schools credit, they have tried to get some local (licensed) coaches involved.

I would guess that there are fewer than a dozen coaches that even hold a license or attend any kind of clinics.

Edited by papa-K

The mediocre statement is "as a whole". Of course, there are some coaches that grade at the top, but the curve is by far in favor of the bottom. How many HS coaches are doing anything to develope talent in the off-season other than say, "play club". To many of the schools credit, they have tried to get some local (licensed) coaches involved.

I would guess that there are fewer than a dozen coaches that even hold a license or attend any kind of clinics.

i will agree with your statement

But you know, Farragut is the ONLY team that is scratching their head. They didn't win when it came crunch time, simple. Bearden did what it had to do for several games, beating the best ranked teams and that's what championships are all about. In fact, I would much prefer more teams in the playoffs than fewer, because that is what makes the cream rise to the top. It was Bearden's year. They win a championship and all you can think of is why they shouldn't even be there! Why is that not OK with you MJUHB? Not your team, your region, your pick? Just sounds like sour grapes to me.

all i care about whats fair to the kids

the playoff system we had from 1997 to 2002 worked because every game meant something until the tssaa got greedy and now certain games mean nothing

i have said the same thing about houston and collierville the last 2 years instead of them complaining they thank for the work i have done

Edited by mjuhb

The mediocre statement is "as a whole". Of course, there are some coaches that grade at the top, but the curve is by far in favor of the bottom. How many HS coaches are doing anything to develop talent in the off-season other than say, "play club". To many of the schools credit, they have tried to get some local (licensed) coaches involved.

Clinics would be a big improvement, but I also think the USYSA licenseing process is flawed in that you must be able to actually play and perform the movements to get the license. You don't have to be able to play the game to be a good coach. You have to be a student of the game and have the skills to get players to perform at their best.

Clinics would be a big improvement, but I also think the USYSA licenseing process is flawed in that you must be able to actually play and perform the movements to get the license. You don't have to be able to play the game to be a good coach. You have to be a student of the game and have the skills to get players to perform at their best.

the main thing is doing drills and teaching skills the proper way thats the main flaw with soccer in this country not everyone does everything the proper way they do their way

the best way to learn to teach those skills is learn them and preform them your self

if i don't know the proper way do something i do it all until find out the proper way to do it

proper practice prevents poor performance

The emphasis during the high school season is TEAM development, not individual development (although some individual development must take place). The high school season mirrors the college experience, in a way. The players learn new roles with new players and quickly try to form the best team possible. In that way, the individual players DO develop. Clubs have 9 months to develop individual skills. Diminishing returns would kick in if they played under the same coaches for all 12 months. The extra 3 months would be spent rehearsing the same old stuff. That's why you generally don't see much adjusting going on at the club level. Playing new roles, under new coaches, with new teammates (essentially, taking the players out of their comfort zones) can do nothing but help the high school players in their overall development. It cracks me up when I hear club coaches claiming that you don't develop during the high school season. Actually, it's the opposite. Because of the reasons I've given, you develop more during those 3 months than you would if you stayed with the same club. Regardless of your coach! The best high school coaches have to have a balance of soccer knowledge and managing ability. Sure, having coaches with lifelong soccer experience would be great, but not essential to be a good and beneficial high school coach.

Many high school coaches wouldn't make good club coaches, but many more club coaches would struggle at the high school game.

This from someone who has seen it all and enjoys watching the high school game much more than club games.

all i care about whats fair to the kids

the playoff system we had from 1997 to 2002 worked because every game meant something until the tssaa got greedy and now certain games mean nothing

i have said the same thing about houston and collierville the last 2 years instead of them complaining they thank for the work i have done

Absolute nonsense. All the preliminary games are just preparation for the big event. But every game does mean something - preparation and discipline leading to the final three. chances r has it right. Don't like the outcome and call for a rules change? Why is it so hard to be a good sport here?

Take a look at the coaches at the state tournament. There were excellant coaches all around. I wouldn't consider all of them great coaches, but most were. Certainly there are less-than-qualified high school coaches, but most of their teams didn't make it very far.

I sure wouldn't consider all club coaches excellant. Many bad ones there. I'd say a higher percentage of club coaches are mediocre than in high school. Club coaches often do a better job of convincing parents that they are good coaches because of their year-long knocks on high school coaches and their "impressive bios" that the clubs publish. However, they often lack the management skills that high school coaches must have. I rarely see club teams make the adjustments that the good high school teams make during games.

Try taking players of all ages and different teams and putting it all together for a 3 month season. I know a lot of club coaches that couldn't do it.

So, Papa-K, go ahead and make your other claims, but I disagree with you on the knock on high school coaches.

Gotta agree with papa-k on this one. HS coaches just cannot compete with professional club coaches. Where do you think the talent comes from for the HS teams? Do you think the HS coaches develop it? Take Farragut, for example. The best thing the coach can do there is not interefere with the club players on the pitch. All he can do is screw it up. The more he lays off, the better they play. The same is true for most HS teams in the state.

The emphasis during the high school season is TEAM development, not individual development (although some individual development must take place). The high school season mirrors the college experience, in a way. The players learn new roles with new players and quickly try to form the best team possible. In that way, the individual players DO develop. Clubs have 9 months to develop individual skills. Diminishing returns would kick in if they played under the same coaches for all 12 months. The extra 3 months would be spent rehearsing the same old stuff. That's why you generally don't see much adjusting going on at the club level. Playing new roles, under new coaches, with new teammates (essentially, taking the players out of their comfort zones) can do nothing but help the high school players in their overall development. It cracks me up when I hear club coaches claiming that you don't develop during the high school season. Actually, it's the opposite. Because of the reasons I've given, you develop more during those 3 months than you would if you stayed with the same club. Regardless of your coach! The best high school coaches have to have a balance of soccer knowledge and managing ability. Sure, having coaches with lifelong soccer experience would be great, but not essential to be a good and beneficial high school coach.

Many high school coaches wouldn't make good club coaches, but many more club coaches would struggle at the high school game.

This from someone who has seen it all and enjoys watching the high school game much more than club games.

Sorry your Club experience was unrewarding. I too have watched both and club is by far the better display of skill. Its all in the competition....and there is little of that in HS soccer. That is not to say that HS soccer is not fun, it really is with the school spirit and all....but lets not say it is a "team development" experience... well maybe if you are talking about the social aspect of HS athletics. The only players that learn anything in HS season are those that don't play decent club ball.