AAA State Champions?

kickgrass

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said nothing about the coach being a "baller". But even you and I with our limitted "middle-aged" athleticism, can breakdown and demonstrate a basic fundamental skill/move. I see club players get lazy because the coach doesn't stay on the the simple fundamentals of receiveing the ball with your toe up. But if a coach has never experienced the ball "doinging" away off a "toe down" or "hard foot", then they just yell "don't lose it" not "get your toe up & soften your leg". Tactics aren't worth the paper they are printed on if your team can't exacute the fundamentals. HS play is sloppy often because there is very little time spent on drilling the fundamentals. Most coaches don't want to take the time to modulate a training session and simply spend most of their time scrimmaging where the majority of the players will watch 2or3 players involved in the play. Can you imagine what it would be like if our athletes speant even 20-30 minutes of the HS practice on individual and partner skills? But that would take some planning and be more demanding than sending them on a run and returning to some shooting drill or scrimmaging. Tactis are overated until you get to the highest level! The rest of the world dominates us because they are "more skilled". Give me 11 players who have great fundamentals and I will smoke your team of tactics in my "hoo...kah" pipe!

OK... I'll say it.... I am sick of watching HS "kick ball" and the "let's race o the ball" game. Keep-away anyone?

I do however agree with the "Psycho-babel" part... coaches who can pull on heart strings and create a healthy team environment have a BIG edge.

You seem really down on the high school game. Are there opportunities available for those players who want a higher level than high school during the high school season? I'm not sure if there are teams or even individual kids that don't play high school ball but maybe that is something someone would want to consider doing.

Cougette, I agree that there are good and bad coaches at both HS and club. I will not name the names of the ones that I think are best, because some would infer that the coaches that are not on the list are bad. I respect anyone who will take their time to coach HS soccer. Considering the small stipends that HS coaches get, when compared to the time they give, obviously it is for the love of the game and the kids. As a father of a player I appreciate and respect that.

As I have said before, coaches at some schools may know very little of the game, but without their willingness to take on the task, those kids would not be able to field a team. Most on here have interests in teams that compete at the higher level, but for those at the lower levels, just being able to wear your school colors and compete is something special.

I just wanted to know to be able to compare our schools program to those of coaches which are percieved to be better. Not in a bad way at all. Just to know what to look for. You are right some schools would not have programs without some coaches stepping forward and putting themselves out there. I personally feel Williamson County has some of the best HS coaches out there but then again I am partial to all its teams but others might feel differently.

Have you ever compared the highschool stipend to what a club coach makes? There is quite a difference there.

Please keep in mind that some coaches fees are also paid by the parents as a component of their participation fees. Very few, if any, of the "elite" or perennial programs seasonal budgets are covered by the high school allowance. Some of those budgets, if not most, can be 3 or more times the school allocation which can be compiled with fund raising. In short, the good coaches at the good programs can be fairly compensated for their time.

"It cracks me up when I hear club coaches claiming that you don't develop during the high school season. Actually, it's the opposite. Because of the reasons I've given, you develop more during those 3 months than you would if you stayed with the same club. Regardless of your coach! "

That has to be the funniest comment I've read on this message board so far. If High school soccer is so good at developing players, then why do college coaches recruit from club teams and tournaments???? How many college coaches have you seen at high school games? I bet it doesn't even compare to the number of college coaches at high level club tournaments, but then again, it sounds like you haven't been to many, if any, of those type of tournaments. The "3 month" argument is not entirely accurate as most HS teams, including my daughters, begin training long before the season starts. And while club coaches may technically have thier players for more months than a high school coach, HS coaches can train almost every day of the week compared to a club team's 2 or 3 days a week. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some great HS coaches in TN (especially in the DII division - Baylor, Hutchison, BA, BGA, Harpeth Hall), but there are probably more weak coaches than strong ones...just my opinion.

TNHSsoccer, this will be so easy I'm embarrassed to write it:

College teams recruit at club tournaments because they can see multiple teams play multiple games over a weekend, as opposed to one high school game one night. Also, in Tennessee, the high school season coincides with their seasons, so the college coaches don't get out much to watch younger players.

Do the math: Would you want to spend a portion of your recruiting budget and time traveling to watch one game or possibly a dozen or so games in one trip?

That was easy!

Try again. If you're lucky, I won't notice it and embarrass you again.

TNHSsoccer, this will be so easy I'm embarrassed to write it:

College teams recruit at club tournaments because they can see multiple teams play multiple games over a weekend, as opposed to one high school game one night. Also, in Tennessee, the high school season coincides with their seasons, so the college coaches don't get out much to watch younger players.

Do the math: Would you want to spend a portion of your recruiting budget and time traveling to watch one game or possibly a dozen or so games in one trip?

That was easy!

Try again. If you're lucky, I won't notice it and embarrass you again.

This is fun!!! and I'm certainly not embarrased. I would only be embarrased if I was wrong...and I'm not wrong on this one. I have an idea, why don't you ask college coaches why they don't come to high school games. Or do you even know any? I know plenty and can certainly do the research for you if you like. You are right in that coaches can go to club tournaments and have the opportunity to see multiple players and multiple games, but the fact remains that college coaches recruit from club teams because that is where the talent is and developed. Why don't you ask coach MacDonald at FRA or coach Johnson at BA...they are both former college coaches and currently coach high school. I'd be willing to bet they agree with me!

While I dissagree that the highschool coaching is mediocre at best (a personal slap in the face for a lot of people on this board including myself) I would agree that the number 1 recruiting tool for a highschool player is to play club soccer on a top D-1 team.

A lot of highschool coaches have coached on the college level (FRA, Pifer at CAK and myself, Johnson) but we CHOSE to coach in highschool. Don't belittle all that we do, to say that we are not up to the level of club coaches.

This is fun!!! and I'm certainly not embarrased. I would only be embarrased if I was wrong...and I'm not wrong on this one. I have an idea, why don't you ask college coaches why they don't come to high school games. Or do you even know any? I know plenty and can certainly do the research for you if you like. You are right in that coaches can go to club tournaments and have the opportunity to see multiple players and multiple games, but the fact remains that college coaches recruit from club teams because that is where the talent is and developed. Why don't you ask coach MacDonald at FRA or coach Johnson at BA...they are both former college coaches and currently coach high school. I'd be willing to bet they agree with me!

It doesn't make sense for a college coach to come to a high school game to watch one or two players. High school teams have kids from Under 14 to Under 19 playing on the same team. Talent is developed at the club level, talent is present at both levels. A high school team has varying degrees of skill among players that would not really appeal to a college coach. They are looking for players that have potential to play at the college level, and going to a club tournament makes a whole lot more sense. Most players on most high school teams don't aspire to play at the next level. It doesn't have to be a put down of the high school programs.