District 11aa

wareagleblue

WOW! That's like the nicest thing theglove has ever said about Harpeth. But papatiger, surely if you saw the game Tuesday night you can't possibly say that the defense had nothing to do with it. Waverly did not run a set play all night, they couldn't. They were pressured and took numerous bad shots, several of which went in, and when they didn't go in, Waverly absolutely did a better job rebounding than Harpeth did. Without the free throw attempts, Waverly would have gad another single digit scoring quarter. Neither team was impressive, but anytime I watch a game I try to pick up some sets that a team runs, it was obvious that Waverly was not effective in doing so at any point in the night. Also, I would think that any defensive minded coach, which this guy at Harpeth appears to be, woul be happ holding a team around 37-38 points per game. Bottom line is if, if, if, if, Harpeth would have been more efficient offensively they might have doubled up Waverly's score, but do we really want to get into the "if this would have happened or that wouldn't have happened" nonsense. The only hing that really matters is that Waverly didn't hit those free throws and didn't cash in on those opportunities and Harpeth continues to win games. It doesn't matter if it's pretty or if it's ugly, bottom line is that it is a win. Playing hard on the defensive end sometimes equals less effective offense, but it is also an indicator of how hard a team works and how much heart and desire they have to win ballgames.

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas. I didn't realize that Harpeth had only lost one game in the state, maybe I'll wait to trash them more when they lose again.

Well all I ask is next time know a little more about the team that you are trashing :thumb: but you are right about "ifs" and "buts" :D but papatiger you can go back and look I never said defense won the game for Harpeth last night

Defense did win the game for Harpeth. Waverly could not get a clean shot off all night. Harpeth is a very defensive team and props to the coach for instilling that into his players just not sure if their new style of play will give them the success they have had the last 2 years.

But like I have said they lost 3 key players from last year and 5 players the year before they are far from the same team I also don't think we have seen the best basketball they can play just watch out if the teams starts to peak around tourny time

Harpeth has a very good team. But my whole point is, Waverly is no push over either. They pushed Harpeth and Cheatham County both to the wire. Both still have to come to Waverly too! Could be a very interesting District tournament. Harpeth may have not played a great game, but neither did Waverly. Could it not have been both defenses are good? And as far as plays, Waverly pretty much runs a motion offense all the time. Edited by papatiger

I have seen Harpeth play several games this year. They are a good team, not a great team. When the year started they had 4 players with varsity expereince. They are extremely young off the bench and it shows some nights. They have started a Freshman post most of the season and the first two subs are Sophmores with no experience. Come tournament time the young players will have had a seasons worth of experience and should make a difference. The coach should be commended for for the work ethic and discipline he has instilled in these young ladies. It will payoff in the future. Word is they have a 8th grader crossing the street next year that is the real deal and could possibly be the best all around player that Harpeth has ever had.

It absolutely could have been that both teams played tough defense, although many of Waverly's baskets came when the Harpeth defense made mental errors. The Harpeth girl's are still learning the basic fundamentals of man to man defense but are just good enough athletes to pressure the basketball to the point that entry passes are unavailable. I have noticed that most baskets come from the helper's man. When they learn how to hedge and recover or how to properly play helpside defense from the weak side wing, they will be extremely tough. As far as the Waverly motion offense goes, I felt like they struggled with that as well. Harpeth forced the ballhandler to penetrate and make hasty decisions. I guess it would be safe to say they took less quality shots and turned the ball over more often than having quality looks at the basket.

Dude i couldn't agree with you more. I am not from Harpeth but I try to watch a few of their games every year and the first thing I said at the end of the Harpeth-Waverly game tonight is wow their style of play has took a dramatic turn for the worse.... Harpeth girls basketball has always been about scoring and why fix it if it isnt broken. If you look at past seasons they have always been successful and their scores have generally been high. This defense crap worked agaisnt Waverly but it will faulter elsewhere. Coaching is a huge part of our district. You take Cheatham for example they are always good no matter how much raw talent is on the roster. Coach Carr is the best Coach in the district and it shows. And if Coach Carr were coaching Waverly they would have won tonight and Waverly would also be winning the district. Look for Cheatham or Sycamore to take the district.

Then according to your logic the Cubs should be undefeated in the district. Unless your saying Waverly has more raw talent than anyone else. However, last time I checked the Cubs have lost. Seriously, Coach Carr is a very good coach with good talent for the last several years and you need to let whatever your issue is with Waverly's coach go.

Edited by Is That Right

I have seen Harpeth play several games this year. They are a good team, not a great team. When the year started they had 4 players with varsity expereince. They are extremely young off the bench and it shows some nights. They have started a Freshman post most of the season and the first two subs are Sophmores with no experience. Come tournament time the young players will have had a seasons worth of experience and should make a difference. The coach should be commended for for the work ethic and discipline he has instilled in these young ladies. It will payoff in the future. Word is they have a 8th grader crossing the street next year that is the real deal and could possibly be the best all around player that Harpeth has ever had.

There is a good player coming across the street next year, but the losses of Mendenhall, Richardson and Flippo will be alot to overcome. Harpeth will really be young next year. They need to do it this year. :thumb:

There is a good player coming across the street next year, but the losses of Mendenhall, Richardson and Flippo will be alot to overcome. Harpeth will really be young next year. They need to do it this year. :D

Mendenhall, Richardson, and Lawrence are the seniors for Harpeth. Flippo is just a junior. I heard the good player was going to a private school next year.

Besides, Sycamore has 5 good players coming from the middle school, where they are a lock for the conference championship.

Then according to your logic the Cubs should be undefeated in the district. Unless your saying Waverly has more raw talent than anyone else. However, last time I checked the Cubs have lost. Seriously, Coach Carr is a very good coach with good talent for the last several years and you need to let whatever your issue is with Waverly's coach go.

Not Waverly's coach that lost that one. Two determining factors helped Harpeth win. 1. Waverly shot 7-17 from the free throw line in the fourth quarter, some front ends 2. And the biggest reason, Mandy Mendenhall was unstoppable, she is the District MVP in my book.

Haven't seen Sycamore play yet, will tonight, but in my opinion, Harpeth is much better than Cheatham County.

Edited by papatiger

It would be very suprising if the "good player" went to a private school next year considering her parents along with a couple of other families are probably the biggest Harpeth supporters in the community. From what I understand, her sister leaving the team had nothing to do with the team or with the coach, it was simply a medical issue. I am not sure where you get your information but would have to believe you have been misinformed wareagleblue.