District 11aa

wareagleblue

Whether you doubt that Florida is looking at her or not is irrelevant, they are/have. Most major D1 schools have made offers, but no school is locked until signing day. Her offensive talent is enough that big programs will look at her. Her defense can be improved and college coaches know how to do that. She will be fine.

As for Coach Johnson, that was actually an error on K-Town's part. He has not been a head coach before. However, he is not your everyday first-year coach. His problems will be in the administrative part of the job, not in basketball. His teams will be good, but their paperwork will be late.

As for district predictions, you are right, I do not know enough about most of the teams in this district. However, I know enough about the top two to say that the district title runs through Harpeth. Until Sycamore proves that they can beat them, something I understand they haven't done in a while, this district belongs to Harpeth. Sycamore may have the best first 8 players, but Harpeth has the best first 6. Can Sycamore apply pressure the whole game to wear them down without getting too far behind in the process? Can they be efficient enough inside or on the drive to get Harpeth in foul trouble? I do not think so, therefore, I choose Harpeth.

Who are the best 8 at Sycamore?

Who are the best 6 at Harpeth?

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All i hafta say is this is a better Harpeth team than last year and last year and all we had was 6 players that played and we beat y'll every time we played and i know u guys had more than 6 girls that played people are gonna be surprised with this years Harpeth team

Saying Sycamore had the best 8 players was actually a response to another post in this thread. I do not know who Sycamore's best 8 are. I know they have a solid first five with good size and ability. As for Harpeth, Mendenhall is hands down the best player in the district, something I don't think anyone would argue. Richardson is probably the second best player in this district, as I think her style of play has benefited most from the coaching change as it utilizes her defensive abilities. Flippo is a solid point guard who does all the things you would not expect. Their post is drastically improved, and though she is not very strong, she is solid offensively. The other little guard that starts is a solid compliment to the big three and is actually a pretty good shooter. Those five plus the 6th, whom I cannot picture in my head right now, are probably the best first 6 players not only in the district, but in the region as well. More info tomorrow after the playday.

Saying Sycamore had the best 8 players was actually a response to another post in this thread. I do not know who Sycamore's best 8 are. I know they have a solid first five with good size and ability. As for Harpeth, Mendenhall is hands down the best player in the district, something I don't think anyone would argue. Richardson is probably the second best player in this district, as I think her style of play has benefited most from the coaching change as it utilizes her defensive abilities. Flippo is a solid point guard who does all the things you would not expect. Their post is drastically improved, and though she is not very strong, she is solid offensively. The other little guard that starts is a solid compliment to the big three and is actually a pretty good shooter. Those five plus the 6th, whom I cannot picture in my head right now, are probably the best first 6 players not only in the district, but in the region as well. More info tomorrow after the playday.

So how did the play day go, I'm going to say you were probably surprised or maybe I should say disappointed. As the season progresses I think you will change your mind on how the district teams are truely ranked.

So how did the play day go, I'm going to say you were probably surprised or maybe I should say disappointed. As the season progresses I think you will change your mind on how the district teams are truely ranked.

well I'm not saying the season is going to go this way just b/c there has only been 4 days of practice but they did play like crap at the play day but that really doesnt say much b/c we haven't done all that great in play days in the past but this team does have some weaknesses and i will give u that

Nothing suprising about the playday. Harpeth struggled with their press that they have been working on for a total of three days. They didn't shoot the ball well probably due in part to the fact that they haven't been shooting the ball in practice because they are learning new plays and a new philosophy altogether. I think anyone who has seen them play in the past would not argue that if they are shooting the ball well they can be very dangerous. From a conditioning standpoint, they were in better shape than anyone might have expected. They pressed and pushed the ball in transition for 32 minutes and were still highly energized towards the end of the both games. They missed their first 12 shots and only scored three points in the first quarter of the first game, I wouldn't expect that to happen often. Against Smith County, it took the coach several minutes to adjust the press to defend 6'8 in the paint. The press forced Smith County to play faster than they wanted but in the end they just had to lob the ball in the paint for baskets. They began the summer in a similar fashion and by the end of the summer had really made major improvements, I think the same can be expected in a long season.

You are so the "typical Sycamore fan". District ranking doesn't mean a thing and neither does the title district champs from last year. It's a new year, and not the same teams. Who had the best record? As far as Harpeth's play day went, the team showed a lot of promise. It was the most unorganized day of games I have ever seen, with refs training, etc., I don't think you could really call them true games, and win/loss meant nothing. With only five days of practice with a new coach, new plays to learn, etc. the team is still trying to find themselves, and they will find their game. I'd like to see them play these teams again in a real game with real refs. I think the outcome would've been different. But again, it was more a less a day of learning what needs to be worked on, so it served its purpose. As far as your downing individual team members, why don't you grow up, and at least act like a mature adult, or are you?

You are so the "typical Sycamore fan". District ranking doesn't mean a thing and neither does the title district champs from last year. It's a new year, and not the same teams. Who had the best record? As far as Harpeth's play day went, the team showed a lot of promise. It was the most unorganized day of games I have ever seen, with refs training, etc., I don't think you could really call them true games, and win/loss meant nothing. With only five days of practice with a new coach, new plays to learn, etc. the team is still trying to find themselves, and they will find their game. I'd like to see them play these teams again in a real game with real refs. I think the outcome would've been different. But again, it was more a less a day of learning what needs to be worked on, so it served its purpose. As far as your downing individual team members, why don't you grow up, and at least act like a mature adult, or are you?

I maybe the typical Sycamore fan, what is wrong with that. I do not recall downing individual members of your team, if you would like me to just let me know. I started by asking this year's rankings not comparision to last year. I believe it was Harpeth fans that started the "last year chant".

"well I'm not saying the season is going to go this way just b/c there has only been 4 days of practice but they did play like crap at the play day but that really doesnt say much b/c we haven't done all that great in play days in the past but this team does have some weaknesses and i will give u that" quote from k-town

Word on the street is that internal problems played a factor is this true?

As for last years scrimmages I believe it was posted that Harpeth went undefeated last year and blew out Marshall Co. 100 something to 20 something.

Finally, if you had won or played decent you would have been talking out the other side of your mouth. I'll say it will get worse before it gets better (several years down the road)

I maybe the typical Sycamore fan, what is wrong with that. I do not recall downing individual members of your team, if you would like me to just let me know. I started by asking this year's rankings not comparision to last year. I believe it was Harpeth fans that started the "last year chant".

"well I'm not saying the season is going to go this way just b/c there has only been 4 days of practice but they did play like crap at the play day but that really doesnt say much b/c we haven't done all that great in play days in the past but this team does have some weaknesses and i will give u that" quote from k-town

Word on the street is that internal problems played a factor is this true?

As for last years scrimmages I believe it was posted that Harpeth went undefeated last year and blew out Marshall Co. 100 something to 20 something.

Finally, if you had won or played decent you would have been talking out the other side of your mouth. I'll say it will get worse before it gets better (several years down the road)

I can't wait till Dec. 8th, I think you will be talking out of the other side of your mouth!!

Allow me to defend the playday tha you stated to be the most unorganized. Yes, refs were in training - they have to train somewhere at some point. I assume we would rather them do this in the preseason and offseason than in the regular season. You said it all when you said win/loss meant nothing. The playday was for learning and improving, and I would be surprised if anyone could find one team that didn't improve drastically. The playday actually went quite smoothely and all games started on time and were in the right spot, and it was a well-organized event. Teams aren't the only ones who need to train, as you can tell by some of the ridiculous calls that were made :( I know they were frustrating, and I did my share of yelling, but it was an effective and well-run day.

I would love to hear about the "internal problems" because I didn't see any of that. I think at times the team was frustrated with learning a new defense and the inability to run offensive sets, but internal problems is quite a stretch. If anything, I thought that Harpeth seemed more like a TEAM than they ever have before. They didn't get down on themselves and continued to play hard until the final buzzer. One of the in-training officials was actually in the hallway talking to another about how hard they played and how if this was how all high school games were going to be then he was going to have a great time officiating high school basketball, and he was a former UT player.

Edited by aj1133

Nothing suprising about the playday. Harpeth struggled with their press that they have been working on for a total of three days. They didn't shoot the ball well probably due in part to the fact that they haven't been shooting the ball in practice because they are learning new plays and a new philosophy altogether. I think anyone who has seen them play in the past would not argue that if they are shooting the ball well they can be very dangerous. From a conditioning standpoint, they were in better shape than anyone might have expected. They pressed and pushed the ball in transition for 32 minutes and were still highly energized towards the end of the both games. They missed their first 12 shots and only scored three points in the first quarter of the first game, I wouldn't expect that to happen often. Against Smith County, it took the coach several minutes to adjust the press to defend 6'8 in the paint. The press forced Smith County to play faster than they wanted but in the end they just had to lob the ball in the paint for baskets. They began the summer in a similar fashion and by the end of the summer had really made major improvements, I think the same can be expected in a long season.

i would have to agree they didnt play to the level i have seen them play but no fears in my eye i know that this will be a great year for this new coach, he is one of the most intense coaches i think i have ever watched coach. he has plenty of knowledge of the game. and i have really enjoyed watching them over the summer. the team i saw this summer and the team i saw at portlands playday were two different teams but all with the same attitude. the will to win and never giving up. they are always intense. they have shown plenty of potential and i think state is a BIG part of there future

Edited by centerkeeper24