JEFFERSON COUNTY FOOTBALL

Warlock

Its time for a change. U is a nice guy and hates to lose but I really think his hands are tied when it comes to coaching due to the law suit. There are times when players have to be held accountable, disciplined, etc... and he can't do that without running the risk of more trouble. I don't think that would happen cause the players that are there now are the ones who really wnat to play ball, but it is still in the back of his mind. I not saying he needs to go, but his coaching style may need to change.???

One problem is half the freshmen team quit this year. Started out with 40+, ended up with 20, not all of those will be back next year. The freshmen need to be made a part of the team and not treated like red headed step kids. That means dressing out for the friday night games, participating in the before game meals, etc... How about going to summer camp?

The strength program needs to be worked on as well. The max bench for the team was something like 300lbs. Not strength training after summer camp needs to change. I hear Alcoa, Maryville, etc... strength train all year long. Why can't we????

Parents need to encourage participation as well. I'm sure they know students who could play but don't for one reason or another. If that means taking the kid next door to practice along with your own then do so. I'm sure there are kids that would like to play but can't due to transportation issues.

Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Jeff Co. football is without question in disarray and a far cry from what it once was or more importantly what it should be. I know nothing about Coach U, but I know Dale Schneitman and he has got to be concerned about the football program. I think the football community there, Parents and the kids should seek a meeting with the Coach and Mr. Schneitman. That area has produced many top quality players, college and pro, and some great coaches through the years. It makes no sense to me why Jeff co can't re assert itself as a perennial power. From 1982 -1987 the program was a stone cold lock to get the semi's and won in 87. However they have not been too competitive since 97'

Weight training is a year round event at Maryville and when the dead periods occur most of the community gyms allow the kids to visit their facilities to keep up with the conditioning. Having a quality Coach like Jeff Co Grad, G. Quarles is a major key but the kids, community leaders and the parents are also committed to being better and working very hard to keep the program successful. Having a silly law suit demonstrates to me things are not the norm at Jeff Co and who could win in a climate like that? If those kids were not able to play or get the field time they wanted they should have done what Shiverdecker did, find a way to transfer out or quit. That may have been a shady ordeal, I don't know, but it was within the scope of the rules and he and his family did what they needed to do in my opinion to change his environment for football. I don't blame them, if he was my kid I might have done the something given more details. You do what you have to do to be successful and anything you do in life and football is no exception.

Jeff Co is a great school and located near a great college program and man like Ken Sparks. Those things alone should really be a plus for the program.

The community needs to use this off season to change directions and come up with a plan and maybe changing the coaching staff is the right thing to do, who knows? If I were a coach there I would leave because after that suit if I did not have community support I would not want to be there. I wish Jeff Co good fortune in the future and hope they can turn it around, the kids deserve it but they got to work for it, because very little worth while falls in one's lap.

Edited by FBEmeritus

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with:

1. He is a nice guy and hates to lose

2. He MUST change his coaching style (to remain a head coach)

3. Freshman program needs to be overhauled. Need coaches that teach them the game and make them excited to be playing football.

I disagree with:

1. His hand are not tied due to the lawsuit regarding play calling, talking to middle school coaches and players, or utilizing his coaching staff.

2. Freshmen don't need to dress out on Friday nights. We need 60-70 soph/jr/sr players dressed out.

3. Parents need to quit babying their little boy. Kids are lazy, and I guess it is a reflection of their parents. Most kids will not commit to anything - and parents let them get away with it.

Disagrees:

#1-You are absolutely right. Play calling, middle school, etc..

#2: Freshmen do need to dress out to feel as though they are part of the bigger picture. They are after all the future of the team. Segregating them does more harm than good. Yo have to get them involved in the beginning and keep them involved.

#3: Bullseye!!!

I bet Alcoa would play you now as a 5A school. I believe they have been having trouble geting a full schedule.

I have heard that GQ was at Jeff County game on Maryville's off week and he was asked when he was coming home and he said it might be sooner than people think. Anyone know anything about this?

Don't start rumors like that. Why in the world he leave Maryville???

Anyone else see him at the game?? That would be big news if he was there.

Disagrees:

#1-You are absolutely right. Play calling, middle school, etc..

#2: Freshmen do need to dress out to feel as though they are part of the bigger picture. They are after all the future of the team. Segregating them does more harm than good. Yo have to get them involved in the beginning and keep them involved.

#3: Bullseye!!!

The one thing that hurts Coach U the most,IMO, is he has waited until this year to start going to the middle schools and show the football players that he wants and needs them next year and beyond. I think the kids and the kids parents are not stupid and realize this is desperation move on coach Euverard's part.

Coach Euverard should have been doing this since he came here. All this was brought about because AD Kisabeth and Mr Shenitman(spelling) held a meeting with coach U to do this. If there is a coaching change Coach Euverard has no one to blame but himself.

As far as the comment made about Coach Quarles, I heard about the same thing, but what I heard was he just had a big smile when he was asked when he was coming home to coach JCHS and walked away.

I think it's funny how easily people can trash the players who started the lawsuit. It's also funny how people recommend that there be a meeting with the parents, Mr. Schnietman, and Coach U. Do you not think people have tried talking to the principlal? Do you think the players who started the lawsuit really wanted to? There have been people talking to people in authority and what good has it done? Atleast the lawsuit has opened people's eyes. Everyone talks about coach bashing, but all I hear is people bashing the ones who started the lawsuit. Some of the ones who are playing now also signed the petition.

I think it's funny how easily people can trash the players who started the lawsuit. It's also funny how people recommend that there be a meeting with the parents, Mr. Schnietman, and Coach U. Do you not think people have tried talking to the principlal? Do you think the players who started the lawsuit really wanted to? There have been people talking to people in authority and what good has it done? Atleast the lawsuit has opened people's eyes. Everyone talks about coach bashing, but all I hear is people bashing the ones who started the lawsuit. Some of the ones who are playing now also signed the petition.

Better not say that too loud, those comments will get you negatively branded :thumb:

I have heard that GQ was at Jeff County game on Maryville's off week and he was asked when he was coming home and he said it might be sooner than people think. Anyone know anything about this?

If only

I think GQ just wanted to see of rumors of his alma maters demise was greatly exaggerated or not

Edited by JC4life

I'll give my opinion on middle school football in Jefferson County. I am not familiar with White Pine or Strong and therefore can not comment on their talent levels or futures but I was able to see Jefferson and Maury play here in Kingsport against John Sevier. What I saw was a bright future. Being a Dobyns Bennett grad and fan I enjoyed the DB v. Jeff Co. rivalry games of old with Jeff Jennings and Scooter Houston. This year was ugly for your Patriots and I was sad to see that. However, Jefferson and Maury show promise. Their size and strength will be a plus going into high school. I hope to see your skill players continute to develop, they run tough through the trenches. If White Pine and Strong are as good as you say they are, I don't see why Jefferson County shouldn't be competing for the 5A-Region 1 title in a few years. The future looks bright for you guys, hope it all comes together for you, coming from a fellow Region 1 supporter. Go Indians, Go Patriots.

I'll give my opinion on middle school football in Jefferson County. I am not familiar with White Pine or Strong and therefore can not comment on their talent levels or futures but I was able to see Jefferson and Maury play here in Kingsport against John Sevier. What I saw was a bright future. Being a Dobyns Bennett grad and fan I enjoyed the DB v. Jeff Co. rivalry games of old with Jeff Jennings and Scooter Houston. This year was ugly for your Patriots and I was sad to see that. However, Jefferson and Maury show promise. Their size and strength will be a plus going into high school. I hope to see your skill players continute to develop, they run tough through the trenches. If White Pine and Strong are as good as you say they are, I don't see why Jefferson County shouldn't be competing for the 5A-Region 1 title in a few years. The future looks bright for you guys, hope it all comes together for you, coming from a fellow Region 1 supporter. Go Indians, Go Patriots.

The middle schools' success is nothing new. The talent has been there for quite a while. They get to the high school and everything goes ###### up. It just doesn't make sense.

Better not say that too loud, those comments will get you negatively branded :thumb:

If only

I think GQ just wanted to see of rumors of his alma maters demise was greatly exaggerated or not

I would not like to see GQ leave Maryville and frankly don't think he would to another HS. But Jeff Co. is the man's home and his Father and Mother still live there. Jeff Co might need a guy like GQ to fix the problems, but if the community does not get behind the program and realize it's a kids game then what would be the point of getting a winning coach?

I don't know the details of the petition or the law suits all I am saying it is not the norm in American High School and seems like a desperate measure. Maybe GQ was looking to help his Alma matter. He has done that with Alcoa, WB and Heritage. He talks with the other area coaches and has started a summer camp here in Blount County.

If GQ leaves and I think he soon will, it will be to the next level. He has the contacts to be a good O coordinator, recruiter and without question can out coach many at the college ranks now IMO. If he wins another championship this year, what is left to prove? Maybe taking a down program from his hometown and rebuilding it, who knows?

I would not like to see GQ leave Maryville and frankly don't think he would to another HS. But Jeff Co. is the man's home and his Father and Mother still live there. Jeff Co might need a guy like GQ to fix the problems, but if the community does not get behind the program and realize it's a kids game then what would be the point of getting a winning coach?

I don't know the details of the petition or the law suits all I am saying it is not the norm in American High School and seems like a desperate measure. Maybe GQ was looking to help his Alma matter. He has done that with Alcoa, WB and Heritage. He talks with the other area coaches and has started a summer camp here in Blount County.

If GQ leaves and I think he soon will, it will be to the next level. He has the contacts to be a good O coordinator, recruiter and without question can out coach many at the college ranks now IMO. If he wins another championship this year, what is left to prove? Maybe taking a down program from his hometown and rebuilding it, who knows?

I agree, I think GQ's next move will be a D1 college

I think you were talking about the Sevier County game when GQ was at JCHS and if that's the case, his dad was honored as one of Jefferson Countys greatest athletes and George was onhand for that.

And this isnt a football problem. Go to the boys basketball board, there is a similar thread about JC bball. Go to the girls bball board and you fill find a thread about girls players not playing this year.