I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

What was that theme song from the Love Boat? "Love is in the Air"?

1st, to quote an earlier post "Great First Post". As PTS posted earlier, we need a Sarcastic smiley to go with certain comments.

2nd, this thread and others have discussed in some detail how poor the officating in the IMAC appears to be. A really good team can overcome bad officating. A Good team might. A marginal team, having a poor shooting performance is going to have a hard time.

The real problem with poor officating is that it can take a inexperienced team out of their game. They get fouled, don't get the call, so on the other end, they try the same thing, and they get called. Now the frustration builds, both with the player and the fans. The players lose focus on what they need to be doing. And suddenly the game is gone, and you are left trying to explain what happened, and you tend to focus on the most important moment of the game, which in any close game, ends up being the last few plays. A case in point. The two Jeff County / Cherokee games (in my opinion) were played about the same way. The two games were officated differently, and the results were different. The first game, Cherokee's aggressive style was called for many fouls, and they lost thier best player early in the 4th quarter. 2nd game, that style was allowed to play, Jeff County failed to adapt, and lost. I am not blaming refereeing on the win or the loss, I am just pointing out how it can affect a game.

In PTS' defense, I don't think he was harping on the bad call, nor did he blame it for the loss. He pointed out a questionable call, but he also talked about how ugly the game was. As to your other objection, many local announcers, and even national ones point out poor calls. The guys on ESPN last night more than once said "I didn't see that call".

And because it was your first post I will point this out, unless you meant to be shouting the whole way through the post, turn your Caps button off. :huh:

And I cannot believe that you got me to defend PTS. :o

Now that is the first time i've heard Cherokee's style of play characterized as "aggressive". You must have been talking about the boy's game. Sorry Lady Chiefs....still love ya.

I'm going to have to start online earlier on Thursday's and Friday's, I always seem to miss out on all the fun. :o

I don't have anything to add, other than the fact that Barb is right - Just when you think a call is going to be a charge, its a block, and vice versa.

A person could charge 10 times in a row and the ref is not going to call it but half the time, just because things happen so fast, and its an instinct call, plus he would get booed out of the gym for calling 10 charges in a row. Ive found that more times than not, if a block or charge is called on one play, the very next time it will be called the opposite.

Anyway, I'm going to go with a couple of "upsets" tomorrow - Greeneville, Cherokee and Morristown West.

I like your picks!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to start online earlier on Thursday's and Friday's, I always seem to miss out on all the fun. :)

I don't have anything to add, other than the fact that Barb is right - Just when you think a call is going to be a charge, its a block, and vice versa.

A person could charge 10 times in a row and the ref is not going to call it but half the time, just because things happen so fast, and its an instinct call, plus he would get booed out of the gym for calling 10 charges in a row. Ive found that more times than not, if a block or charge is called on one play, the very next time it will be called the opposite.

Anyway, I'm going to go with a couple of "upsets" tomorrow - Greeneville, Cherokee and Morristown West.

I'll take...

Greeneville - Unless Greeneville steals Jefferson County's uniforms before the game and wears them and gives Jefferson County their uniforms.

Morristown West - Its time for the Lady Trojans to hit a hot streak...again. Its time for the Lady Canes to hit a cold streak....again.

Cocke County - Unless they let the Lady Chiefs dictate a slow, methodical, half-court tempo...again.

Which of course means Jefferson County, East and Cherokee will win.