I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

So whats the outlook on D2-AAA?

I think it could be one of the stronger conferences in the state.

We all know of Greeneville and their state tourney trips. Although coaching could be a liability as it seemed their coach learned on the job last year. But you cant deny their talent and speed.

Morristown West was the less talented than Greeneville last year, but Gaylon outcoached them in the district and region finals. They had talent with LeMarr and Phipps that has graduated. Can they keep up?

Jeff County finished third last year, but was bounced from the District tournament in the opening round by a one-win Cocke County team. They lose Ashley Kyle at point, but return a lot of girls who got a lot of playing time last year.

Morristown East steadily improved last year and they've gotten better from the last two years. Still seems though they have the way to lose the games they are supposed to win (see 2006 District Tournament).

Cherokee disappointed me a little last year, a lot of young talent returned, but they didnt make strides like I thought they would. Seemed out of shape, especially early on. This can be a dangerous team with that class of juniors they have with Price, Ewing, etc.

Cocke County went 2-and-forever last year and they lose Shawna Ball, but they return three starters, Jerrica Lane who plays 2/3.....Nikki Bryant at the 5, who missed 2005 with a torn ACL and Alex Suggs who can play at guard. They also get two very impressive freshman in Morgan Buda and Shannon Depew who left their mark on the middle school ranks at Newport Grammar as well on the AAU national ranks.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know of Greeneville and their state tourney trips. Although coaching could be a liability as it seemed their coach learned on the job last year. But you cant deny their talent and speed.

Morristown West was the less talented than Greeneville last year, but Gaylon outcoached them in the district and region finals. They had talent with LeMarr and Phipps that has graduated. Can they keep up?

Jeff County finished third last year, but was bounced from the District tournament in the opening round by a one-win Cocke County team. They lose Ashley Kyle at point, but return a lot of girls who got a lot of playing time last year.

Morristown East steadily improved last year and they've gotten better from the last two years. Still seems though they have the way to lose the games they are supposed to win (see 2006 District Tournament).

Cherokee disappointed me a little last year, a lot of young talent returned, but they didnt make strides like I thought they would. Seemed out of shape, especially early on. This can be a dangerous team with that class of juniors they have with Price, Ewing, etc.

Cocke County went 2-and-forever last year and they lose Shawna Ball, but they return three starters, Jerrica Lane who plays 2/3.....Nikki Bryant at the 5, who missed 2005 with a torn ACL and Alex Suggs who can play at guard. They also get two very impressive freshman in Morgan Buda and Shannon Depew who left their mark on the middle school ranks at Newport Grammar as well on the AAU national ranks.

It looks like the new coach at Greeneville learned well since they made their third straight trip to the 'Boro. If she can coax some consistancy out of Ms Dickson she may see a fourth.

I would not be surprised to see Jeff county make a run this year but the sleeper may very well East.

It looks like the new coach at Greeneville learned well since they made their third straight trip to the 'Boro. If she can coax some consistancy out of Ms Dickson she may see a fourth.

I would not be surprised to see Jeff county make a run this year but the sleeper may very well East.

If they made it to the boro, she must be doing something right.

One of the strongest? I would have to lean more toward one of the weakest.

Jefferson County will be about like they were last year, around .500, West will be about the same. Both are well coached, but don't appear to have the talent to keep up with the better teams from Knoxville and the middle part of the state.

Cocke County, Cherokee and East? Well we know what to historically expect from them and I expect the same - not much.

I guess that leaves greeneville to win it, and with Nicole that's about all it will take. Though you are right, the new coach got by with Burkey's talent and Burkey's system.

One of the strongest? I would have to lean more toward one of the weakest.

Jefferson County will be about like they were last year, around .500, West will be about the same. Both are well coached, but don't appear to have the talent to keep up with the better teams from Knoxville and the middle part of the state.

Cocke County, Cherokee and East? Well we know what to historically expect from them and I expect the same - not much.

I guess that leaves greeneville to win it, and with Nicole that's about all it will take. Though you are right, the new coach got by with Burkey's talent and Burkey's system.

The talent in Greeneville was there when Lynn Burkey came and was still there when he left. Greeneville Middle School is a breeding ground for talent. What is lacking is intensity. I don't know if it left with Burkey or Meagan Lyons, but they need to get it back to contend for a title.

The talent in Greeneville was there when Lynn Burkey came and was still there when he left. Greeneville Middle School is a breeding ground for talent. What is lacking is intensity. I don't know if it left with Burkey or Meagan Lyons, but they need to get it back to contend for a title.

\

you are right barb, Meagan had more intensity then about any other player ive seen in the distict in recent years.

Lemarr didn't graduate.

if you think cocke co is going to be the same team i think your in for a surprise! :thumb:

No doubt.

Those two freshmen will change the team dramatically.

I know they are freshmen, and they will probably make freshmen mistakes, but they've been playing since they were probably two.

They'll turn heads in the conference.

How is the fact that Lauren Anderson has decided not to play he senior season going to hurt Greeneville. She has made more 3-pointers than any other Lady Devil only in 3 years, but dicided to hang it up after 3 years.

Hadnt heard this? Whats up with that? Focusing more on her running, or other issues?

She was always a pretty gritty player and hustled and gave her best.