Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting series of posts and perhaps we need to start a new thread on the return of ETSU football.

I do not think Stubbs will leave THS for SHHS. Wampler probably has already applied along with most other county HS coaches in the area. My understanding of the current handicapping for the SHHS "horse race" is:

Nelson (East - coming hard on the inside track)

Outside the Region Pick (second and fading - money & "switching costs" are a problem)

Carter (South - gaining in the backstretch)

Rider (Volunteer - a long shot)

My understanding from the Committee for ETSU football was that they were proposing an outdoor stadium at Tri Cities Airport. To me, this was a losing proposition and one reason I did not really think their effort was serious. If, on the other hand, they have a chance at an on-campus outdoor stadium I think it would be a very good possibility.

Ralphie's a big ole hoss! He'll win the race. ;)

It would be a better hire than the head coach from East.

Probably not. Nelson has all of the things SH is looking for. He is already in the area. He has an obvious philosophy. He has a good staff. He has the ability to network in the community to grow the program from wherever it is.

And, there is not a better man or family. He brings a lot of intangibles to a team and school, and he would be a good fit.

Probably not. Nelson has all of the things SH is looking for. He is already in the area. He has an obvious philosophy. He has a good staff. He has the ability to network in the community to grow the program from wherever it is.

And, there is not a better man or family. He brings a lot of intangibles to a team and school, and he would be a good fit.

And he is affordable.

I'm not saying he is not a swell guy, but when was the last time East beat a team with a winning record? What would be the point of Science Hill firing a coach that wins more games than he loses and has gotten his team to the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years and replacing him with a coach that has had 1 winning season?

Use SW VA as an example. A new coach gets 3 (count em') years to make it happen. After that it is either a love affair or he/she is out. How many head coaches teach AP Physics? They teach life...and they teach it on the field/court. If taught correctly the result is to win. Bottom line. If they don't win then they aren't doing their job. THEIR JOB is to teach our children how to be winners...in life! A state championship every decade or so is icing on the cake. When hiring a coach it is just like discovering a great athlete...instinct is the most important asset. You feel it, you smell it, you sense it, it permiates the air. If it's not there most times it is starkly evident. I get the feeling Ralph Nelson passed the test irregardless of his somewhat dismal record at East. It takes an intelligent person to recognize untapped potential.