Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

Just a comment from my perspective. Here's a few positives. Ralph has done a great deal in the East community as previously noted, the kids love the field house he and his family have poured their hearts into. Ralph has taught his OL very differently than other coaches have in the area. Gotta watch close sometimes. Even though the East boys sneak in a few holds, they block very well. Only the DB OL, I feel, is better at holding (as in maintaining and not giving up) their blocks. Obviously this came from Ralph and UT. Ralph has improved the moral and outlook of the East program. BUT, there are a few negatives in my opinion... When Ralphie boy started out he had an ace in the hole with that QB (name escapes me??). Without that QB, I really don't see them having that season. They haven't since, although they have improved and play hard. I also think Ralphie has coached a bit immature which makes me wonder about character. I saw the game where called a TO and scored again very late on a well beaten Volunteer team a few years back.

As far as the freshman class, even if they are great, would that be enough alone to keep a coach at a program? I don't know. From what I saw of the frosh from Bluff City, they did not look like the same team from the beginning to the end of the season. Literally. Did a bunch quit? Their best prospect seemed to be the big QB from Bluff City Middle who has some speed. Rumor has it he plans to go the strictly roundball route. I can also shed a little light on a few other area freshman classes..ie..I don't think East's freshman are necessarily tops in the area. The Betsy bunch surely have some players this year from last season's TA Dugger team. Tennessee High has the good group led by, hands down, the best freshman QB in NET, Taylor Harmon. Did not get to see the SHHS freshman, but they have to have talent. They had some talented boys in 8th grade last year. The DB staff is working their usual magic on their freshman class... both Kingsport middle school teams last year were, well, not very good, but get 'em together and put 'em in Clark's system and they looked fine. This DB freshman class reminds me of DB's '06 team.... no big name standouts, just solid at most all positions and play as a team - well coached. South's freshman class is very talented as well, which includes big LB Ty Garvin who ended this season starting at OLB on the varsity for Coach Carter, as well as speed merchant Seth Watterson who was injured most of the season, and Curt Phillips little brother, Clint. So, my point is, there are several good freshman classes - including the Hill.

Weighing it all out, I hope the Hill finds a good coach. I think shooting for Quarrels and Helton is a bit unrealisic but you never know until you try right? Volman, I just don't see Ralphie taking the Toppers where they want to go. If they hire him, hope I am wrong. But, I'd predict they will continue on their current path....BUT, are their athletes at SHHS, like everyone knows there are at DB that walk the halls but wont play due to the decipline? If Ralph, or whoever could get more to participate and make the grades, who knows?

as well as speed merchant Seth Watterson who was injured most of the season 'Cmon now Satch...better mention the Spin Dr. Yeah, he's a Soph. but after the broken foot he's kinda been forgotten. So yeah, we got the goods next year, and the next, and the next..."Start the van dad" :lol:

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we sure Coach Nelson is a done deal? I have been on the road today and I haven't heard any news yet. I know this has been a rumor but I thought it was only in our neck of the woods. Ralph has been rumored for a couple of jobs and I heard from a pretty good source that he flat out said no he was staying put because he has a freshman class that everyone on Weaver Pike is pretty excited about. Ralph is in a pretty good situation he has taken a school that has very little football history and turned them into a MLC contender. He has been great in the community and has generated a lot of excitement in East football. He is a hero at East and can stay as long as he wants. Wait a minute maybe he is the guy for the Hill then. With a school of SH's size and the calliber of athletes there, there is no reason the Toppers shouldn't be a major factor year in and year out in football just like they are in basketball and baseball. I would like to see what Ralph could do there.

All that being said, maybe Johnson City is more of a basketball town than a football town. The university and community loved football so much they let the school president blow up the program. Don't give me all the so called reasons I've heard all of them. As for Science Hill, if the JC school board and the Topper administration and boosters were so gung ho for football then why has nothing happened before now.

Truthfully it is an NE Tennessee issue. We assume that by playing well against area teams we are capable of competing anywhere. That is simply not the truth. The commitment level of the athletes is nowhere near what it is elsewhere in this state, much less in states such as FL and TX. To win big games against those teams you can't start preparation the week, or even two weeks before. You need to start as soon as the prior season ends. From my seat I did not see a motivated team. Is some of that coaching....maybe...but no one can motivate each player...they can create an environment in which they can be motivated, but the motivation has to come from the players. Coaching is a tough job and the decisions on personnel are difficult and emotional ones. They are not as "clear-cut" as we would think. It will take a small nucleus of determined players, that can motivate their peers to seek excellence, that will create a lasting success. They will exhibit that desire by their discipline on and off the field. As good as many of the players were this year, few could say that they did that. It has to be for more than one year. It has to be a way of life.

I don’t know what the expectations of the coaches at the beginning of the season was, but I know my son believed in his heart ever time he stepped onto that field they were going to win! Except for the Ooltewah game, that was the first time all season I heard him say he didn’t think they would win.

I'm with you on that one....my kid NEVER thought they couldn't win.

as well as speed merchant Seth Watterson who was injured most of the season 'Cmon now Satch...better mention the Spin Dr. Yeah, he's a Soph. but after the broken foot he's kinda been forgotten. So yeah, we got the goods next year, and the next, and the next..."Start the van dad" :thumb:

compusatman,

I only mentioned various freshman here because a previous poster threw it out that Ralphie boy and the Bluff City community were excited about their freshman class, implying that would keep their coach there. I was merely pointing out, and attempting to be polite, that there are groups of freshman, that in my humble opinion, offer as much or more promise.... including the Science Hill freshman. I pointed toward just a few freshman that offer promise on a few teams - ones that I have seen play. THUS, the reason I did not mention any current sophomores. (Oh, and believe me, no one has forgotten the Spin Dr. Looking forward to seeing him unleashed at 100% next season).

Sorry for going off subject... I don't get a paper, so has any OFFICIAL announcments been made from the Hill or are we just talking to ourselves here. Thanks

The JC Press mentions today that a couple of assistant coaches from Maryville might be in the running (they don't mention names) but they do name a few.

Mike Turner

Lous Thompson (former coach of Unicoi County)

Dave Rider

Ralph Nelson

Brent Bledsoe (former Crockett Coach)

Greg Stubbs

Stacy Carter. Note that this is a wish list from Science Hill.

They say that they want to have someone picked by the beginning of next year and that they want that man to be a proven coach. This is all in the Nov. 17 paper of the JC Press.

Interesting. I still don't think that Ralph Nelson is the man for the job simply because he is still building a program over at Sullivan East. Some of you guys seemed convinced that he has the job......

I'll wait and see but this is all the info we have. Applications will come in for 10 days and then they will commence trying to find one person.

The JC Press mentions today that a couple of assistant coaches from Maryville might be in the running (they don't mention names) but they do name a few.

Mike Turner

Lous Thompson (former coach of Unicoi County)

Dave Rider

Ralph Nelson

Brent Bledsoe (former Crockett Coach)

Greg Stubbs

Stacy Carter. Note that this is a wish list from Science Hill.

They say that they want to have someone picked by the beginning of next year and that they want that man to be a proven coach. This is all in the Nov. 17 paper of the JC Press.

Interesting. I still don't think that Ralph Nelson is the man for the job simply because he is still building a program over at Sullivan East. Some of you guys seemed convinced that he has the job......

I'll wait and see but this is all the info we have. Applications will come in for 10 days and then they will commence trying to find one person.

Mike White at Maryville.