Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

As I posted a week ago with no takers, my money is on the new SHHS coach being Ralph Nelson.

A second strong local candidate is Colobro from Gate City.

A "national search" is appealing but difficult. TSSAA rules greatly restrict what school and community booster clubs can do. As you have seen at DB, THS, and Sullivan South, the funding pool comes from salary, stipends, and "coach's shows".

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this morning paper about Bowles and his firing, it kind of got under my skin. I believe that the program had achieved all that it would under him and that's one second round playoff esperince. He lost the respect and adimiration of the team this year and that's because the kids did not look at him as a winner. The kids didn't know what their expectations were and he lived for medcrocity. The problem was not with all the other programs in norhteast TN losing to db, it was the largest school in NETN losind 8 straight years to db and missinng out on playoffs. They were consistently getting outcoached. The assistant coaches were unable to do their jobs because of the threat of termination. Bowles had the nerve to compare himself to an college coach going 6-5 and a small bowl game, he was satisfied with that while the kids want and deserve more. After the Bearden game on his coach's show he said , that once your down 21 points in the first half that the game is over and your just trying to keep the score close. There is discipline in the program but just not everyone and the kids see it. Yeah, I have sour grapes and that's why I joined this site so I can vent.

My son will be an senior next year and I really didn't want the instability of an coaching change. I believe that Bowles did the best that he thought he could do and is satisfied with it but our kids deserve more than what he has to offer. Anyone who tries to stay when they have been asked to leave shows lack of class.I say good ridddance.

Edited by topvol98

I have asked this before and think it is past time for Hilltopper fans to realistically consider and respond, but I am asking again...what were your realistic expectations for this year?...this 2006 season, S.H. was preseason picked 4th, 5th, or 6th depending upon the source...well you finished 4th...isn't that a positive accomplishment?...If D-B (picked first by everyone except Coach Clark and he picked Sevier County) finished 2nd, then they would have underachieved...if Science Hill had finished 5th, then they would have underachieved...but both finished where the coaches picked them to finish...huh.

The Hill was in every game but the Bearden game and dominated some they should have...

I find it more than a bit disingenuous for the principal to say the reason for the change came from a lack of success this year...what is the measuring stick?...

and the losing streak to D-B is 13 straight, which obviously means before the Bowles era...

Robbie Stuart, Shorty Adams, Marvin Christman, nor Steve Spurrier play there anymore, however, their are some good looking juniors and sophomores who got some solid playing time this year that should put the Hill in a preseason 3rd place...gosh, what if they achieve that?...will that be enough for the new coach?

Don't just talk number of students, D-B is not the largest school in the conference and I don't think Sevier County is 2nd in student population, there has to be a realistic measuring stick and just because "we want to" or "we think we should" won't make it so...

I hope the Hill finds a coach they like...they just lost a good coach who is a very good man.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

I have asked this before and think it is past time for Hilltopper fans to realistically consider and respond, but I am asking again...what were your realistic expectations for this year?...this 2006 season, S.H. was preseason picked 4th, 5th, or 6th depending upon the source...well you finished 4th...isn't that a positive accomplishment?...If D-B (picked first by everyone except Coach Clark and he picked Sevier County) finished 2nd, then they would have underachieved...if Science Hill had finished 5th, then they would have underachieved...but both finished where the coaches picked them to finish...huh.

The Hill was in every game but the Bearden game and dominated some they should have...

I find it more than a bit disingenuous for the principal to say the reason for the change came from a lack of success this year...what is the measuring stick?...

and the losing streak to D-B is 13 straight, which obviously means before the Bowles era...

Robbie Stuart, Shorty Adams, Marvin Christman, nor Steve Spurrier play there anymore, however, their are some good looking juniors and sophomores who got some solid playing time this year that should put the Hill in a preseason 3rd place...gosh, what if they achieve that?...will that be enough for the new coach?

Don't just talk number of students, D-B is not the largest school in the conference and I don't think Sevier County is 2nd in student population, there has to be a realistic measuring stick and just because "we want to" or "we think we should" won't make it so...

I hope the Hill finds a coach they like...they just lost a good coach who is a very good man.

Roll Tribe Roll

of course db fans liked him, except for the regular season both programs seasons are at the same place

If I was Bowles, I would have cleaned the coaching staff to save him. Just like Fulmer, Cutcliffe really saved him this year. Sanders made Fulmer look bad. I believe SH has no coaching staff. Bowles is a good coach, but he should have got sum different assts. But they always have a good defense.

Edited by HighSchoolFanatic

I am not surprised that the first response would be one of attack as opposed to reflection...

yeah and I like Steve Brewer, too and he has beaten D-B before...

This isn't about D-B, Sevier County, Jeff County or any other school in the Big East, it is about the kids (potential players) at Science Hill...what is the message they are getting?...it may be a good one, I am just asking...this year's team had a very good year meeting the expectations I was aware of, but they are being told it wasn't good enough...compared to what?...

Try to be funny, or pointed, or whatever, but a good man just lost his job and the quality of a successful season has been publicly diminished...what is the measuring stick and what are the expectations?

Roll Tribe Roll

I am not surprised that the first response would be one of attack as opposed to reflection...

yeah and I like Steve Brewer, too and he has beaten D-B before...

This isn't about D-B, Sevier County, Jeff County or any other school in the Big East, it is about the kids (potential players) at Science Hill...what is the message they are getting?...it may be a good one, I am just asking...this year's team had a very good year meeting the expectations I was aware of, but they are being told it wasn't good enough...compared to what?...

Try to be funny, or pointed, or whatever, but a good man just lost his job and the quality of a successful season has been publicly diminished...what is the measuring stick and what are the expectations?

Roll Tribe Roll

He didn't lose an job, he's still teaching. Tell me, when did it become acceptable to use other's measuring sticks for your success. I understand what you are trying to say but I don't think he would have lasted 8 years at db and their expectaions from their community. I don't know your relationship with bowles is but I talk to these kids alot and he wasn't teaching them anything worthwhile. He did not run an good ship. bowles is not a good man to all and besides what does one have to do with other? Ther are plenty of good people who aren't right for an particular job.

Edited by topvol98