Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

Don't forget the "Bottom Line".

The bottom line in this case is whoever is named head coach, he will have to produse. You can be a nice guy and do all the community work stuff and it still won't guarantee you will keep your job. You have to be a good coach and win football games. That is his main job. Thats what they are really paying him for. To be a winner. If I were them I would go after a proven winner. Someone from outside the area.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your absolutely right that these programs are not in the same place but there is a grounp of kids at Science Hill that believe that are tired of competing and want to be feared. Why can't they be? Mainly because every keeps telling them that they should be happy being mediocre and an coach who they know keeps alot of other kids away from the program that should be playing.

I agree. I mistakingly said I didn't like him...that is wrong because I have never met the man and he seems like a good guy. What I was referring to is that I didn't care for the way he always seemed to be content with competing. Looking back at just the recent past and you look across the field and know that other teams don't have better talent. There have been some great players up there but it has never equated to wins...and it is hard to understand. Duahnna is one of the great players in this area, the program has a kids playing in the NFL, and many others. The few times I have seen them play, it has looked pretty even as far as talent...but that hasn't translated to the Ws. I think they could be very successful just based on the selection of athletes that come through the school and it's football tradition (Spurrier, etc). I think they SHOULD be winning more without question if they had the right development. I for one am not looking forward to the move because they have a lot of talent if they are pointed in the right direction it could be tougher on the tribe. I was talking with a guy at work and you look at the basketball program winning 3 state titles in bball in 6 years (plus 1 runner up)! He and I agreed it is tougher to win a basketball title than a football title....and they have 3 but can't get out of the first round of the football playoffs.

I agree. I mistakingly said I didn't like him...that is wrong because I have never met the man and he seems like a good guy. What I was referring to is that I didn't care for the way he always seemed to be content with competing. Looking back at just the recent past and you look across the field and know that other teams don't have better talent. There have been some great players up there but it has never equated to wins...and it is hard to understand. Duahnna is one of the great players in this area, the program has a kids playing in the NFL, and many others. The few times I have seen them play, it has looked pretty even as far as talent...but that hasn't translated to the Ws. I think they could be very successful just based on the selection of athletes that come through the school and it's football tradition (Spurrier, etc). I think they SHOULD be winning more without question if they had the right development. I for one am not looking forward to the move because they have a lot of talent if they are pointed in the right direction it could be tougher on the tribe. I was talking with a guy at work and you look at the basketball program winning 3 state titles in bball in 6 years (plus 1 runner up)! He and I agreed it is tougher to win a basketball title than a football title....and they have 3 but can't get out of the first round of the football playoffs.

Tougher to win a basketball title, compared to winning a football title? I disagree with that statement. Look at the early to mid to late 90's, in reference to advancement in the football playoffs for Science Hill: '92 - 1st round loss / '93 - quarter round loss / '94 - quarter round loss / '96 - 2nd round loss / '98 - 2nd round loss (in 1997 & 1998 Elizabethton & D-B were weeks 1 and week 2 games. Also, played Oak Ridge and as a non-region game in ’97 & ‘98. Beat a Clinton team in the 1st round that had beaten Oak Ridge earlier in the season (if I remember right). Dave had his grandsons playing for him at Elizabethton and were getting beaten in the semi's by Maryville in '97 & '98. Science hill was playing tougher schedule in the late '90's and played their two biggest rivals back-to-back at the start of the season.

AAA Jefferson County L 21-7 Early Round

AAAAA McMinn County W 38-34 Early Round

AAAAA Baylor W 21-14 Early Round

AAAAA Oak Ridge L 18-15 Quarterfinal

AAAAA McMinn County W 49-29 Early Round

AAAAA Red Bank W 30-20 Early Round

AAAAA Riverdale L 40-0 Quarterfinal

AAAAA Clinton W 27-22 Early Round

AAAAA Soddy-Daisy L 31-21 Early Round

AAAAA Clinton W 35-28 Early Round

AAAAA Kingsport Dobyns Bennett L 44-8 Early Round

AAAAA Soddy-Daisy W 14-13 Early Round

AAAAA McMinn County L 35-17 Early Round

AAAAA McMinn County L 34-7 Early Round

AAAAA Oak Ridge L 48-28 Early Round

AAAAA Ooltewah 38 , Science Hill 14 Early Round

Edited by bm

Are we sure Coach Nelson is a done deal? I have been on the road today and I haven't heard any news yet. I know this has been a rumor but I thought it was only in our neck of the woods. Ralph has been rumored for a couple of jobs and I heard from a pretty good source that he flat out said no he was staying put because he has a freshman class that everyone on Weaver Pike is pretty excited about. Ralph is in a pretty good situation he has taken a school that has very little football history and turned them into a MLC contender. He has been great in the community and has generated a lot of excitement in East football. He is a hero at East and can stay as long as he wants. Wait a minute maybe he is the guy for the Hill then. With a school of SH's size and the calliber of athletes there, there is no reason the Toppers shouldn't be a major factor year in and year out in football just like they are in basketball and baseball. I would like to see what Ralph could do there.

All that being said, maybe Johnson City is more of a basketball town than a football town. The university and community loved football so much they let the school president blow up the program. Don't give me all the so called reasons I've heard all of them. As for Science Hill, if the JC school board and the Topper administration and boosters were so gung ho for football then why has nothing happened before now.

Don't forget the "Bottom Line".

The bottom line in this case is whoever is named head coach, he will have to produse. You can be a nice guy and do all the community work stuff and it still won't guarantee you will keep your job. You have to be a good coach and win football games. That is his main job. Thats what they are really paying him for. To be a winner. If I were them I would go after a proven winner. Someone from outside the area.

You may be correct. We'll see. I predict that if/when Ralph takes this job, the Hill will be conference champs within 4 years. I know you will say 4 years is a long time, but when was the last time they won the conference?

You may be correct. We'll see. I predict that if/when Ralph takes this job, the Hill will be conference champs within 4 years. I know you will say 4 years is a long time, but when was the last time they won the conference?

Just a comment from my perspective. Here's a few positives. Ralph has done a great deal in the East community as previously noted, the kids love the field house he and his family have poured their hearts into. Ralph has taught his OL very differently than other coaches have in the area. Gotta watch close sometimes. Even though the East boys sneak in a few holds, they block very well. Only the DB OL, I feel, is better at holding (as in maintaining and not giving up) their blocks. Obviously this came from Ralph and UT. Ralph has improved the moral and outlook of the East program. BUT, there are a few negatives in my opinion... When Ralphie boy started out he had an ace in the hole with that QB (name escapes me??). Without that QB, I really don't see them having that season. They haven't since, although they have improved and play hard. I also think Ralphie has coached a bit immature which makes me wonder about character. I saw the game where called a TO and scored again very late on a well beaten Volunteer team a few years back.

As far as the freshman class, even if they are great, would that be enough alone to keep a coach at a program? I don't know. From what I saw of the frosh from Bluff City, they did not look like the same team from the beginning to the end of the season. Literally. Did a bunch quit? Their best prospect seemed to be the big QB from Bluff City Middle who has some speed. Rumor has it he plans to go the strictly roundball route. I can also shed a little light on a few other area freshman classes..ie..I don't think East's freshman are necessarily tops in the area. The Betsy bunch surely have some players this year from last season's TA Dugger team. Tennessee High has the good group led by, hands down, the best freshman QB in NET, Taylor Harmon. Did not get to see the SHHS freshman, but they have to have talent. They had some talented boys in 8th grade last year. The DB staff is working their usual magic on their freshman class... both Kingsport middle school teams last year were, well, not very good, but get 'em together and put 'em in Clark's system and they looked fine. This DB freshman class reminds me of DB's '06 team.... no big name standouts, just solid at most all positions and play as a team - well coached. South's freshman class is very talented as well, which includes big LB Ty Garvin who ended this season starting at OLB on the varsity for Coach Carter, as well as speed merchant Seth Watterson who was injured most of the season, and Curt Phillips little brother, Clint. So, my point is, there are several good freshman classes - including the Hill.

Weighing it all out, I hope the Hill finds a good coach. I think shooting for Quarrels and Helton is a bit unrealisic but you never know until you try right? Volman, I just don't see Ralphie taking the Toppers where they want to go. If they hire him, hope I am wrong. But, I'd predict they will continue on their current path....BUT, are their athletes at SHHS, like everyone knows there are at DB that walk the halls but wont play due to the decipline? If Ralph, or whoever could get more to participate and make the grades, who knows?

Who's to say Bowles couldn't win the conference in the next 4 yrs? I can remember twice when all he had to do was beat DB to win it. I just don't think Nelson is the man for the job because he hasn't proved he can do the job. Who knows though, he might. If I were in Science Hill's shoes I would go after a proven coach. They have the money.

Well I'll be ######, I completly agree with WaCo! Wow! :D

Who's to say Bowles couldn't win the conference in the next 4 yrs? I can remember twice when all he had to do was beat DB to win it. I just don't think Nelson is the man for the job because he hasn't proved he can do the job. Who knows though, he might. If I were in Science Hill's shoes I would go after a proven coach. They have the money.

This is true and I agree! I would like to see Science Hill go after a proven coach from Texas, Florida or maybe even Georgia. Maybe Nelson can do it, assuming he is even offered the job.

Science Hill has a very talented junior and sophomore class this year and with the right coach and a good quarterback, I have no doubt The Hill would contend for a the Big East title.

I think the sooner Science Hill gets a coach, the better. I believe this is a good opportunity for someone to come in and just grab the bull by the horns and move them forward. Not a program that needs to be rebuilt, I think our kids are ready to "get r done"!

I think everyone is missing the point here...including Dr. Waco. It's called money. First of all, when Volman and I eluded to this issue 4/5 weeks ago in 2 different threads no one caught it. Why would we know about this 5 weeks ago. Especially if SHHS was shopping for a George Quarles type. Because SHHS is not shopping for a George Quarles type...it costs too much money. Money smart people can't justify unless they have guaranteed results. There are no guarantees. Instead, the smart money looks to the up and coming i.e. "Hungry" individual in search of a jewel in the rough. He is provided with a rare opportunity and a free hand in exchange for compensation when "you make it happen". It's a match made in heaven. SHHS gets a state championship sanctified vision, they pay less money than their previously unsuccessful coach made, and Ralphie boy gets a chance at the big time! I've said it before here and I'll say it again...Why move to a 2-a-day school when you can start your own! Ralph Nelson spends 5 years at SHHS and then gets a college gig. The timing is right and trust me...in NET we have the skill positions and just as much as the rest of the state. We DO NOT have the coaches to take them to the next level. But our weak point is linemen. Ralph Nelson will take the term lineman and turn it into a skill position...a weapon. If my son were at SHHS I would be ecstatic. And you people are sad that Bowles got the axe...get a grip. So, if Nelson is a 'Topper then look out because it's his chance of a lifetime and I don't see him blowing it.