Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

Okay, well that is a perspective not presented quite that way before...I wasn't trying to project a measuring stick simply trying to understand what the Science Hill community's expectations are...I know what they are with D-B and if we were projected to be 4th (or wherever) and we got that, there would be grumblings of "we ought to be better"...hey look at the crap over this year over here...but, there wouldn't be an outcry for the coaches head...from the outside looking in, the last two years have been pretty positive for S.H. and the number of players participating has increased...but, again, I am on the outside...therein lies the reason for the questions, just trying to understand.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, well that is a perspective not presented quite that way before...I wasn't trying to project a measuring stick simply trying to understand what the Science Hill community's expectations are...I know what they are with D-B and if we were projected to be 4th (or wherever) and we got that, there would be grumblings of "we ought to be better"...hey look at the crap over this year over here...but, there wouldn't be an outcry for the coaches head...from the outside looking in, the last two years have been pretty positive for S.H. and the number of players participating has increased...but, again, I am on the outside...therein lies the reason for the questions, just trying to understand.

Roll Tribe Roll

And I appologize for failing to see that there was concern when you veil it and being happy with being barely making the playoffs. Do you realize that Science Hill did not beat a team that made the playoffs this year? The only team that they beat that had an winning record was Cherokee. You really need to have been at every game to see how bad things really are. Battling for an home playoff game every year isn't too much to expect at Science Hill, do you disagree? It seems that by today's article in the JC Press that bowles was content with just beating TN High and Elizabethton.

Edited by topvol98

Which of the other three playoff teams do you think the Hill should have beaten?...why?

I was only there for the D-B game, but did see every one of the shows on TV.

And I am not saying that anyone should ever be satisfied with anything other than their best effort.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

Which of the other three playoff teams do you think the Hill should have beaten?...why?

I can't find where I said they should have beaten 3 other playoff teams but they should have beaten TN High, should have been more competitive after leading SC by 10 and the db game could have eaily been different if not for the predictable play calling in the red zone. It's funny because when listening to the kids after those games, there had been trouble int he locker room at the half and no sense of accomlishment.

This is not meant to be an argument...You made the point regarding whom the Hill had and had not beaten...my point or question comes from the preseason polls which had said the best they should do or where they should finish is 4th...and they did...in order to be better than 4th they'd have to have beaten one of the teams ahead of them, otherwise they met expectations (utilizing the coaches poll)...thus my question of which one.

No, I don't think playing for a home playoff game is an unrealistic overall goal, but season to season expectations have to adjust and maybe my question is too "this season", but seems like from the outside, this was pretty solid year...followed up a good year, lost a very good QB, a RB and WR both playing college ball, lost some good linemen, utilized a good mix of seniors and underclassmen and put together a playoff team that didn't lose any they were supposed to win...and maybe the turnaround to that of not winning any they were supposed to lose answers my own question, but...then...what are the expectations for the new guy?...

Roll Tribe Roll

Roll Tribe Roll

I keep hearing every year from everybody that Science Hill has the most talent in Football in this area. We know that in Basketball and Baseball that is true. I know when these guys come out on the field they do look the part. I've never even spoken to Bowles but I here he is a good guy. The problem is he has to be a good football coach also, and I don't think that has played out at Science Hill. As for the "crap over this year over here", Clark is a good man also and a fine coach, but he does have issues that have cost DB in the playoffs. I predict he will correct those issues.

Sometimes Legal and Ethical can be at odds.....

It's not really bad even from an academic standpoint. The kids that hold back end up getting 'free' college credits and some actually enter college as a sophmore. But, back to the topic.............It's a done deal..........Ralphie is the man. This has been in the works for quite some time actually.

I keep hearing every year from everybody that Science Hill has the most talent in Football in this area. We know that in Basketball and Baseball that is true. I know when these guys come out on the field they do look the part. I've never even spoken to Bowles but I here he is a good guy. The problem is he has to be a good football coach also, and I don't think that has played out at Science Hill. As for the "crap over this year over here", Clark is a good man also and a fine coach, but he does have issues that have cost DB in the playoffs. I predict he will correct those issues.

Coach Bowles is a good guy. Quite frankly he has had to coach with a very negative public opinion of him since I arrived in this city 5 years ago. At that time they were already hollering for his head. It was amplified last year and he had to be in "circle the wagons" mode this year. Not an easy way to coach! I take firings quite seriously. We are dealing with people's life. I definitely wanted to see changes made, but I do not know that the present head coach could not have made them. I was planning to talk with him over the next few weeks to give him my opinions and I will never know how he would have taken them. I do like giving people the benefit of the doubt.

FYI, Coach Overbay is a fine man and will do a solid job as interim. If he is selected as the final choice I will likely try to meet with him as well. Most parents want to see just & EQUITABLE treatment of their kids. I have always viewed all of the kids as "mine". That being said, I believe that justice sometimes requires a harder hand than some might find acceptable. Some of the discipline issues that arose were ignored due to the pressure that the coach was under. Given support from the community I believe he would have behaved differently. Look at how discipline is handled at UTK for example! It is a lot like businesses today. We tell them to take a long-term perspective in their decisions, however, let next quarter's results come in below Wall Street expectations (regardless of whether the cost was taken on to ensure future success) and they holler for the CEO's job.

I liked, and still like Coach Bowles, though I have been quite disappointed at times. I wish him success. By the way, Coach Clark actually got a lot more out of the athletes he had this year than any normal coach could have.

"I don't think he would have lasted 8 years at db and their expectaions from their community."

No he wouldn't have, but that's hardly a fair comparison. Science Hill doesn't have a string of conference titles that spans over the course of many years. Granted, Bowles didn't win one either, but he did come close. I think his team's played D-B at least twice with the Big East title on the line. Think about this; Bowles inherited the same group of assistant coaches that were employed when he got there. He was allowed to bring no one that I'm aware of. The guys he kept were hardly successful. He should have been able to fire every one of them and build his own staff. Then you could hold him accountable. However, he kept them all, and from what I hear, he was a Christian man who just tried to get along. Now the new coach gets those same assistants.......are you following me? If the new coach gets to bring people with him, Science Hill owes Bowles a big apology.

I think Coach Clark is a fantastic coach and an even better person and I think he and his staff does wonders with his players...don't think he is perfect...(only my wife falls in that category and she trained me well to say that)...but, he does great things with and for the Dobyns-Bennett program.

that is another topic, though, I think.

Roll Tribe Roll

Yes. Volman is correct...it is a done deal. It has been a done deal. Sometimes in Love and War the afflicted are the last to know. We are in the know because of obvious reasons. Pat attention. And as far as performance is concerned, how long does it take to breed a great QB...a great RB? And now how long does it take to breed a great coach? Where was Bowles before SH? Because he has had ample chance to put SH on the football map. I'm sorry, but everyone knows that the longevity of a coaching job depends on performance...including the coach. Eight years? I think they were patient enough. You want a 2-a-day school...hire a 2-a-day coach. Two years max and the program should be turned around...if not...then you got the wrong man. You want to put NET on the map? Then it takes a coach with stones. Congratulations SH on biting the bullet! Now hit the target. See you in week two...from the South Side.

It's not really bad even from an academic standpoint. The kids that hold back end up getting 'free' college credits and some actually enter college as a sophmore. But, back to the topic.............It's a done deal..........Ralphie is the man. This has been in the works for quite some time actually.

I would contend that it represents a fundamental issue of what we are in school for....is it to make a "great football team" or prepare us to move on in life, or college (if that is the direction your dreams take you). If it is good academically, lets do it for everyone regardless of athleticism. That would negate the "advantage" that the coach is trying to attain. That is the problem with the minimum standards set by the NCAA. A kid that scores 750 on the SAT probably shouldn't be in college in the first place. If he has the talent to play football, let the NFL fund the "farm league" that brings it out. Don't make a joke of the academic institution by putting him/her into classes as if they are qualified to be there. Okay...off of my "soap box".