Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

Use SW VA as an example. A new coach gets 3 (count em') years to make it happen. After that it is either a love affair or he/she is out. How many head coaches teach AP Physics? They teach life...and they teach it on the field/court. If taught correctly the result is to win. Bottom line. If they don't win then they aren't doing their job. THEIR JOB is to teach our children how to be winners...in life! A state championship every decade or so is icing on the cake. When hiring a coach it is just like discovering a great athlete...instinct is the most important asset. You feel it, you smell it, you sense it, it permiates the air. If it's not there most times it is starkly evident. I get the feeling Ralph Nelson passed the test irregardless of his somewhat dismal record at East. It takes an intelligent person to recognize untapped potential.

He's been tapped and anyone that knows football recognizes what is there. A good guy, but not the coach to get Science Hill to the next level.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Men it dont add up.

The new AD just had to fire a good guy who had a winning record so now he is going to hire a good guy who lost to Crockett who lost to North. No offense but how much talent does it take to beat those two schools? If he is the guy to biuld a good program how long is it going to take him at East? It sort of looks like he won his first year with someone elses team.

I do not know Coach Nelson. And I am sure he is a good guy.

But is the new AD. at Science Hill going to possible hang his legacy on a guy that lost to Crockett and North. :lol:

I'm not saying he is not a swell guy, but when was the last time East beat a team with a winning record? What would be the point of Science Hill firing a coach that wins more games than he loses and has gotten his team to the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years and replacing him with a coach that has had 1 winning season?

I guess it depends on what you use to measure a coach's effectiveness. Is the present coach taking them a little bit further than they should have gone? Is four of the last six years what SH should be doing?

As far as East goes, Is Nelson taking them a little bit further than they should have gone? Of course he has. East should only win a couple of games a season.

One also has to take into consideration what kind of impact a coach can make on the lives of young people aside from winning and going to the playoffs. I am thinking that Nelson can garner a couple of wins a season that SH would not otherwise win, and he will make the kind of committment that might change a young man's life.

Rumor today was Stubbs to ETSU and that he is lobbying for his D-coordinator Mike Mayes to get Science Hill job.

Friends in the know say Mayes would make an excellent head coach.

ETSU Class of 74

Go Bucs

I also heard Mayes had applied for this job. I do not know much about him other than Tennessee High usually has one of the top defenses in the conference. I also heard Mayes had turned down two other head jobs in the past, Volunteer being one of them. So he is apparently very respected. Does any one know if a hire date has been set?

It's almost comical that all the comments and speculation about the SHHS football coaching job is coming from people who don't have an vested intrested in the program. The thing that pulls my goat is how all these "great" men are at the center of it, this is high school these coaches are going to have a lil input into these young men's lives but they still live at home where they have someone that's going to have an whole lot more to do with the boy becoming an man.

You are right on Toppertown. I really see Red Man as wanting to wind things down a little don't you? Maybe just focus on Eagle Club?

Don't know PatMan, Red Man loves competition. Don't know how long being Eagle Club director would fill his hole to compete. Just my opinion, Red Man would be the perfect fit for SHHS once again.

Don't know PatMan, Red Man loves competition. Don't know how long being Eagle Club director would fill his hole to compete. Just my opinion, Red Man would be the perfect fit for SHHS once again.

Why did he leave in the first place? His time was before I knew anything about SHHS football, ever since my son has been in the school system it has been bowles.

It's almost comical that all the comments and speculation about the SHHS football coaching job is coming from people who don't have an vested intrested in the program. The thing that pulls my goat is how all these "great" men are at the center of it, this is high school these coaches are going to have a lil input into these young men's lives but they still live at home where they have someone that's going to have an whole lot more to do with the boy becoming an man.

I am not sure why it is comical. What exactly is a vested interest? I am much more interested in the wrestling program, but I have followed SH football for about 22 years. I have competed against them, watched, clicked on TSSAA.org more times than I can count trying to find out the score. I just hope they improve and I happen to know Nelson and would like for him to have a shot at it.

I would like to think that all teenagers have great role models at home. A coach that genuinely cares about the guys he coaches and the program in which he coaches, is special and rare. I would hesitate to underestimate the influence that a coach can have, but then again I have had some really special coaches.

It doesn't have to be a powerful influence, but it certainly can be.

I am not sure why it is comical. What exactly is a vested interest? I am much more interested in the wrestling program, but I have followed SH football for about 22 years. I have competed against them, watched, clicked on TSSAA.org more times than I can count trying to find out the score. I just hope they improve and I happen to know Nelson and would like for him to have a shot at it.

I would like to think that all teenagers have great role models at home. A coach that genuinely cares about the guys he coaches and the program in which he coaches, is special and rare. I would hesitate to underestimate the influence that a coach can have, but then again I have had some really special coaches.

It doesn't have to be a powerful influence, but it certainly can be.

Seems like you have alot more invested then I do, my son just will be playing for a new coach his senior year. I've kept up with SHHS threads all season and it amuses me how people have came out of no where to comment on this one but none during the season. My son, and I, are anxious for an coach to be named so that the program can start moving forward. I personally am hoping for someone out of the area but I'm not an power.

Edited by topvol98

Why did he leave in the first place? His time was before I knew anything about SHHS football, ever since my son has been in the school system it has been bowles.

His daughter was a freshman/soph in high school at the time. She missed Jeff Co. (she and her brother grew up in Jeff Co. w/ dad being at C-N for many years) and was alittle homesick. He was there for two years ('92 & '93 seasons), 1st round in '92 (last year TSSAA took only the top two from each region), 3rd round in'93. Lost to Oak Ridge by 3 points in a driving rain storm. OR kicker had not made a FG all year and hit a 41 yarder. SHHS had a shot to tie with less than 10 seconds left and missed a chip shot to tie. Your son would love playing for the Red Man!

Edited by toppertownfan

Men it dont add up.

The new AD just had to fire a good guy who had a winning record so now he is going to hire a good guy who lost to Crockett who lost to North. No offense but how much talent does it take to beat those two schools? If he is the guy to biuld a good program how long is it going to take him at East? It sort of looks like he won his first year with someone elses team.

I do not know Coach Nelson. And I am sure he is a good guy.

But is the new AD. at Science Hill going to possible hang his legacy on a guy that lost to Crockett and North. :lol:

Give him the talent that the hill has and you might be amazed , Because he is winning 4-5 games a year with very , very little right now.

I guess it depends on what you use to measure a coach's effectiveness. Is the present coach taking them a little bit further than they should have gone? Is four of the last six years what SH should be doing?

As far as East goes, Is Nelson taking them a little bit further than they should have gone? Of course he has. East should only win a couple of games a season.

One also has to take into consideration what kind of impact a coach can make on the lives of young people aside from winning and going to the playoffs. I am thinking that Nelson can garner a couple of wins a season that SH would not otherwise win, and he will make the kind of committment that might change a young man's life.

Why should East only win a couple games a year?