CROCKETT / COVINGTON GAME

foosballplayer

I'll have to agree with you on this one big country. There were bad calls on both sides at both of South Side's playoff games but that just happens. Also you couldnt be more right about refs at CC. I absolutely dread playing at Crocket Co. because you know before you ever get there that its going to be one sided bad calls all night long. Its just a fact. Maybe Crockett did get the short end of the stick last week, but if they did, its been a long time coming.....those are the harsh facts of the matter. :D

I'm sorry,I haven't had the same experience as you as far as dealing with poorly called games in Alamo....

Correct me if I'm wrong,but the officials that see these guys all year don't officiate them in the playoffs...You don't see the same guys calling the same things...Refs get used to a certain sytle of play,good or bad,and when you change up in the playoffs you are going to see calls made you don't see in the regular season..This can probably be best explained by using the OC-Covington regular season game as an example...OC had some calls made on them there that they didn't have called on them all year...The difference was the use of a different association of officials...It surprises me to see the excuses made by some of the people on here that say they are Cav fans...If you will notice,none of the regular posters on Cav threads are making those accusations....Noone was more surprised to see CC lose than me..I had em penciled in for the state championship game...I'm sure there were bad calls made...I believe every game I have ever watched is like that though...33 bad calls or non-calls??...Maybe if you take the non-holding calls in the line...Maybe...As with any high school sport,you can never tell what you are going to get when you put teen-agers in these situations....Crockett County had a great team this year,it's a shame it ended like it did,but that's life in 7-3A....This league is as competitive as any in the state,regardless of classification,and to beat a program with the kind of tradition Covington has, twice in one season is asking a whole lot...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't yall admit the fact Covington played harder and wanted it more than Crockett that night. And no refs were suspened for that game! I guess they called a better game than the Crockett fans thought they did. But I can see why yall are upset, after going undefeated, beating cov. 35-6 last time, and being ranked #1 in the state, I would make excuses up too. So quit being sore losers and admit when cov. is clicking there aint nobody that can stop them

Ok so what your saying is that when Oklahoma and Oregon played that Oregon wanted it more just because they won? That is crazy. The officals were obviously against Oklahoma that game when they called a pass interference on a tipped pass and when Oklahoma recovered an onside kick and they game the ball to oregon. I dont like Oklahoma but it was very obvious that game and it sounds like it was pretty obvious at this game as well.

Edited by Titans02

Ok so what your saying is that when Oklahoma and Oregon played that Oregon wanted it more just because they won? That is crazy. The officals were obviously against Oklahoma that game when they called a pass interference on a tipped pass and when Oklahoma recovered an onside kick and they game the ball to oregon. I dont like Oklahoma but it was very obvious that game and it sounds like it was pretty obvious at this game as well.

Titan02, tell he what "sounds like it was pretty obvious at this game as well." Read my post about this game. There were not 33 incorrect calls--in fact, I don't think there were 33 calls period--that would be a call every 3.2 plays in the average high school football game. Fourteen penalties were called (8 against CC and 6 against Covington.) Be interesting to know where those who claim 33 incorrect calls would get the other "incorrect calls"--Ball spotting? Maybe, they meant calls that should have been made but weren't. As you will read in my post, no officials were suspended. I e-mailed TSSAA and they confirmed that this afternoon. I watched the tape all morning today, since Dyersburg will play Covington tomorrow night. Some Crockett County fans cannot come to grips with the fact that Perry meant so much to their team and that Covington outcoached, outplayed and outhustled them.

We at Dyersburg were actually hoping to play a Perry-less Crockett County again this week.

Again, I am wondering why someone like you, who didn't see the game felt it was "pretty obvious" that this game was poorly officiated. (I did see the Oregon-Oklahoma game and it was obviously a deliberate, partisan shafting. But the circumstances are entirely different.).

Why don't yall admit the fact Covington played harder and wanted it more than Crockett that night. And no refs were suspened for that game! I guess they called a better game than the Crockett fans thought they did. But I can see why yall are upset, after going undefeated, beating cov. 35-6 last time, and being ranked #1 in the state, I would make excuses up too. So quit being sore losers and admit when cov. is clicking there aint nobody that can stop them

well how bout covington quite worrin bout how good they were "clickin" and worry bout their next opponent dyersburg!!!!

well how bout covington quite worrin bout how good they were "clickin" and worry bout their next opponent dyersburg!!!!

Look im one of the biggest crockett fans out there..........and i do not make up excusses......i do think that perry's absence was surely felt but you cant rely on one player alone.........i didnt see the game (i did listen however) and i dont think that the refs missed calls on purpose.........i was highly disappointed that crockett came out there as ice cold as they did.....covington was clearly ready and we werent........covington just outplayed us.I was also really disappointed bout the way our players acted when put in a situation that they were in. I feared that if a team got us in that position that we wouldnt know how to respond...........clearly my fears became a reality. I am proud of my cavaliers and you better believe we will not be rebuilding next year just merely reloading..........great season for the 2006 seniors keep ur heads up and dont listen to anyone who is gonna be bashing you guys for not makin it all the way............they dont know what its about..........tradition never graduates!!!!!

Look im one of the biggest crockett fans out there..........and i do not make up excusses......i do think that perry's absence was surely felt but you cant rely on one player alone.........i didnt see the game (i did listen however) and i dont think that the refs missed calls on purpose.........i was highly disappointed that crockett came out there as ice cold as they did.....covington was clearly ready and we werent........covington just outplayed us.I was also really disappointed bout the way our players acted when put in a situation that they were in. I feared that if a team got us in that position that we wouldnt know how to respond...........clearly my fears became a reality. I am proud of my cavaliers and you better believe we will not be rebuilding next year just merely reloading..........great season for the 2006 seniors keep ur heads up and dont listen to anyone who is gonna be bashing you guys for not makin it all the way............they dont know what its about..........tradition never graduates!!!!!

GREAT post, Thats the CC I know.

The purpose of Coach T is to give Tennessee sports fans an opportunity to express themselves about high school sports. Sometimes, people abuse that privilege to an extreme. It appears that "Ol Wise 1" has done that. Having just joined Coach T for the purpose of complaining about the officiating in the Covington-CC game, "Ol Wise 1" seems to be proving what my late father told me once when I was a teenager: "Son, as you get older, you will learn that many of the wise old men in the community are just old men." OW1 has made certain statements. I challenge him to either document them or stand down:

1. He says that he called TSSAA headquarters and spoke with someone about the officiating. He should tell us who he spoke to. (Surely, given his attitude toward TSSAA, he wouldn't be interested in protecting the identity of that source.)

2. He says there were 33 bad calls. Get on Coach T and document any 10--or even 6--of them.

3. He says that TSSAA has suspended either the referee, the crew, or both. Does anyone seriously believe that? He should provide proof of their suspension.

I have just watched the Crockett-Covington tape 4 times, since Dyersburg is playing Covington Friday night. Let me make these points about the tape:

A. I could see no evidence of outrageous calls. In fact, the most disputed call in the game was probably Massey's lob pass to Lyons for a Crockett County TD.

Lyons apparently took the ball away from a Covington defender. That call, in other words, was decided in Crockett's favor.

B. Crockett County lost because--1) They didn't have Jarvis Perry. With him, I think they would have won; 2) Their offensive line was manhandled by Covington until the 4th quarter; 3) They were outcoached--Covington brought more rushers on passing downs than Crockett could block. The officials had nothing to do with the Crockett loss.

Perry was a tremendous loss and it was seen last week against Haywood as well. The Wing offensive (Wing T or Double Wing) requires a lot of slow-developing outside plays--Buck Sweep, Sally, Speed Sweep--The defense can put outside pressure on that UNLESS there is the threat of the quick FB trap or FB lead. That is what made Crockett go. Perry was their most important player.

Gude ran very hard for Covington, made some runs on his own. When Crockett started playing power football in the 4th quarter and getting points, Covington came right back with drives of their own.

As to specific plays:

On no Covington touchdown was there hesitation by officials. On the disputed final Covington TD, 2 officials (head linesman and field judge) signaled the TD. No official can be seen crossing his hands to signal "No Touchdown." On each Covington TD the logical official (the one with the best view of the ball in relation to the goalline) made the call.

The unsportsmanlike call made against Crockett in the 3rd quarter cannot be checked on the tape. No way to see what is going on in the pile or to hear what is said.

The same is true of the ejection of 2 Crockett County players after the final TD.

The onside kick was clearly recovered by Covington with no Crockett County players near. Number 6 of Covington needlessly jumped up for the ball, the ball hit him in the hands about chest high, he dropped it and fell on it. The nearest player was another Covington player. No Crockett players are close until the ball is on the ground and covered.

All this talk of grand officiating conspiracies--of money changing hands (money from whom, one might ask)--of veteran officials (of unfortunately varying degrees of competence) risking career and jail--is ridiculous. And that goes for someone's cockeyed suggestion that David Lipscomb paid officials to derail Dyersburg in last year's Sheffield game. Dyersburg's loss to Sheffield was one of the greatest disappointments of 40 years of watching Dyersburg football, but it was NOT an officiating conspiracy. David Lipscomb was (and is) quite able to handle nearly all its opponents by itself. The image of the rich (David Lipscomb is often viewed as a school of privileged rich kids.) conspiring with the TSSAA and its officials against the poor has wide appeal, but it overlooks the fact that there are no facts to support it and the fact that wealthy, even upper middle class kids can and do play football just as hard, give just as much effort as the kids in Dyersburg, Covington, and Crockett County.

Gotta learn to live with defeat if you're going to be into sports. Gotta learn to distinguish between what you wish were the facts and what the facts really were.

Ol Wise 1, your accusations not only dishonor the officials, but they dishonor the efforts made by both the Covington and Crockett County players. I know some of the school officials at Crockett County and they are excellent and honorable people. I doubt if they would support what you have written. They are adjusting to the facts of 7 3-A football. You had best do the same. (Why Crockett County fans would be shocked at the loss is beyond me, since Covington has defeated the Cavaliers--with Perry--3 of the last four meetings.) Crockett County lost because of Perry's knee and not because of officials' whistles.

Augielio - Excellent rebuttal of a pretty lame post by someone who is sour grapes because their team lost. If you are going to be a fan, you have to take the losing with the winning. In football, every team that enters the playoffs will finish with a loss, except for the eventual state champ.

I think that most Crockett fans were unhappy that they lost, but they did not try to hide behind the "we were cheated" excuse that a couple of posters have tried to use in this thread. I think that an outright lie - "the refs were suspended" should probably be wiped off the message board, and I have reported this post to the folks that monitor Coach T.

As Covington fans, we surely did not blame somebody else when Crockett beat us in October, but took our lumps, and apparently the team and the coaches learned from that experience.

Again, I congratulate Crockett County on an excellent team and an excellent season. If you can self-police your fans and speak out against this type of post on a.

I was at the Crockett County - Covington matchup. There were some missed calls both ways..nothing that was really game breaking. The loss of Perry to the Cavs was a huge blow. It is hard to lose a player that has scored 20+ TD's, pass blocks, and is an important part of the defensive unit at linebacker, especially losing this player in week 10. His absence was noticable and the Covington coaches did a great job in preparing for the game knowing that he would unavailable.

Crockett had a great season that did not end the way we wanted it to, but in the playoffs anything can happen. Congrats to the Chargers on a hard fought win.

It is a shame that a thread like this was ever started...it belittles the season the players and coaches from Crockett County enjoyed. It also attempts to discredit the excellent job the coaches of Covington did in preparing for such a big game.

Edited by beans

The purpose of Coach T is to give Tennessee sports fans an opportunity to express themselves about high school sports. Sometimes, people abuse that privilege to an extreme. It appears that "Ol Wise 1" has done that. Having just joined Coach T for the purpose of complaining about the officiating in the Covington-CC game, "Ol Wise 1" seems to be proving what my late father told me once when I was a teenager: "Son, as you get older, you will learn that many of the wise old men in the community are just old men." OW1 has made certain statements. I challenge him to either document them or stand down:

1. He says that he called TSSAA headquarters and spoke with someone about the officiating. He should tell us who he spoke to. (Surely, given his attitude toward TSSAA, he wouldn't be interested in protecting the identity of that source.)

2. He says there were 33 bad calls. Get on Coach T and document any 10--or even 6--of them.

3. He says that TSSAA has suspended either the referee, the crew, or both. Does anyone seriously believe that? He should provide proof of their suspension.

I have just watched the Crockett-Covington tape 4 times, since Dyersburg is playing Covington Friday night. Let me make these points about the tape:

A. I could see no evidence of outrageous calls. In fact, the most disputed call in the game was probably Massey's lob pass to Lyons for a Crockett County TD.

Lyons apparently took the ball away from a Covington defender. That call, in other words, was decided in Crockett's favor.

B. Crockett County lost because--1) They didn't have Jarvis Perry. With him, I think they would have won; 2) Their offensive line was manhandled by Covington until the 4th quarter; 3) They were outcoached--Covington brought more rushers on passing downs than Crockett could block. The officials had nothing to do with the Crockett loss.

Perry was a tremendous loss and it was seen last week against Haywood as well. The Wing offensive (Wing T or Double Wing) requires a lot of slow-developing outside plays--Buck Sweep, Sally, Speed Sweep--The defense can put outside pressure on that UNLESS there is the threat of the quick FB trap or FB lead. That is what made Crockett go. Perry was their most important player.

Gude ran very hard for Covington, made some runs on his own. When Crockett started playing power football in the 4th quarter and getting points, Covington came right back with drives of their own.

As to specific plays:

On no Covington touchdown was there hesitation by officials. On the disputed final Covington TD, 2 officials (head linesman and field judge) signaled the TD. No official can be seen crossing his hands to signal "No Touchdown." On each Covington TD the logical official (the one with the best view of the ball in relation to the goalline) made the call.

The unsportsmanlike call made against Crockett in the 3rd quarter cannot be checked on the tape. No way to see what is going on in the pile or to hear what is said.

The same is true of the ejection of 2 Crockett County players after the final TD.

The onside kick was clearly recovered by Covington with no Crockett County players near. Number 6 of Covington needlessly jumped up for the ball, the ball hit him in the hands about chest high, he dropped it and fell on it. The nearest player was another Covington player. No Crockett players are close until the ball is on the ground and covered.

All this talk of grand officiating conspiracies--of money changing hands (money from whom, one might ask)--of veteran officials (of unfortunately varying degrees of competence) risking career and jail--is ridiculous. And that goes for someone's cockeyed suggestion that David Lipscomb paid officials to derail Dyersburg in last year's Sheffield game. Dyersburg's loss to Sheffield was one of the greatest disappointments of 40 years of watching Dyersburg football, but it was NOT an officiating conspiracy. David Lipscomb was (and is) quite able to handle nearly all its opponents by itself. The image of the rich (David Lipscomb is often viewed as a school of privileged rich kids.) conspiring with the TSSAA and its officials against the poor has wide appeal, but it overlooks the fact that there are no facts to support it and the fact that wealthy, even upper middle class kids can and do play football just as hard, give just as much effort as the kids in Dyersburg, Covington, and Crockett County.

Gotta learn to live with defeat if you're going to be into sports. Gotta learn to distinguish between what you wish were the facts and what the facts really were.

Ol Wise 1, your accusations not only dishonor the officials, but they dishonor the efforts made by both the Covington and Crockett County players. I know some of the school officials at Crockett County and they are excellent and honorable people. I doubt if they would support what you have written. They are adjusting to the facts of 7 3-A football. You had best do the same. (Why Crockett County fans would be shocked at the loss is beyond me, since Covington has defeated the Cavaliers--with Perry--3 of the last four meetings.) Crockett County lost because of Perry's knee and not because of officials' whistles.

Augielio - Excellent rebuttal of a pretty lame post by someone who is sour grapes because their team lost. If you are going to be a fan, you have to take the losing with the winning. In football, every team that enters the playoffs will finish with a loss, except for the eventual state champ.

I think that most Crockett fans were unhappy that they lost, but they did not try to hide behind the "we were cheated" excuse that a couple of posters have tried to use in this thread. I think that an outright lie - "the refs were suspended" should probably be wiped off the message board, and I have reported this post to the folks that monitor Coach T.

As Covington fans, we surely did not blame somebody else when Crockett beat us in October, but took our lumps, and apparently the team and the coaches learned from that experience.

Again, I congratulate Crockett County on an excellent team and an excellent season. If you can self-police your fans and speak out against this type of post in a public forum, that will promote good sportsmanship.

I'm sorry,I haven't had the same experience as you as far as dealing with poorly called games in Alamo....

Correct me if I'm wrong,but the officials that see these guys all year don't officiate them in the playoffs...You don't see the same guys calling the same things...Refs get used to a certain sytle of play,good or bad,and when you change up in the playoffs you are going to see calls made you don't see in the regular season..This can probably be best explained by using the OC-Covington regular season game as an example...OC had some calls made on them there that they didn't have called on them all year...The difference was the use of a different association of officials...It surprises me to see the excuses made by some of the people on here that say they are Cav fans...If you will notice,none of the regular posters on Cav threads are making those accusations....Noone was more surprised to see CC lose than me..I had em penciled in for the state championship game...I'm sure there were bad calls made...I believe every game I have ever watched is like that though...33 bad calls or non-calls??...Maybe if you take the non-holding calls in the line...Maybe...As with any high school sport,you can never tell what you are going to get when you put teen-agers in these situations....Crockett County had a great team this year,it's a shame it ended like it did,but that's life in 7-3A....This league is as competitive as any in the state,regardless of classification,and to beat a program with the kind of tradition Covington has, twice in one season is asking a whole lot...

No, I agree with you. You are right, different reffs are used in the playoffs and I was BEYOND shocked to see that Crockett lost that game, I'm just saying that generally speaking, when Crockett plays in Alamo, the calls go their way 90% of the time. Evidently thats not what happened last Friday night.

Will someone please explain to me why the referees missed over 30 calls during the Crockett County/Covington game. I hear the refs were suspended by TSSAA. I have been to several football games, but this was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. Why was Crockett County cheated?....

STOP YOUR CRING AND GET OVER IT ALREDY COVINGTON BEAT CROCKETT THE END OF THE STORY GROW UP AND GET OVER IT