Ooltewah @ Smyrna

Owlbino

yes true a late nearly impossible 4th quarter comeback by ravenwood got them a huge win but they are pretty hot as well as smyrna but theres one diff. ravenwood has been to the championship and i believe they are not gonna lose based on experience and it seems to me that its ravenwoods title to lose considering they are the defending state champions

It should be interesting based on how the game went earlier this season and how much improvement Smyrna has made. Bot hteams seem to be on top of their games, but Smyrna beat a true power house football team tonight.

Congrats Bulldogs!!!

:thumb:

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as stats go, Woods (QB Ooltewah) has 413 yards passing, nearly half of it on 5 screen passes to Marshall (5-159). Smyrna could not stop that all night. Neither team ran the ball too well, but Smyrna had a little running game going in the first half. Maceo has about 60 yds rushing. Rod Wilkes was the man for SHS, as he had 3 TD receptions, one on an improbable play at the end of the first half for 58 yds, and had a key first down run on a fake punt right at the end of the 3rd quarter that ended up being one of the biggest plays of the game. But that guy who had the sacks at the end of the game on OHS's last drive gets the player of the game. That was an excellent call on the blitz, taking OHS out of FG range. I was privileged to have watched that game in person.

Edited by ccalum

wheres imaowl? he was on here talkin about how smyrna had not seen the speed of ooltewah and all that other talk wheres ooltewah right now? sittin at home like dobyns bennett and all the other east tennessee teams from class 5A

the bottom line is east tennessee teams in class 5A were overrated this year

wheres imaowl? he was on here talkin about how smyrna had not seen the speed of ooltewah and all that other talk wheres ooltewah right now? sittin at home like dobyns bennett and all the other east tennessee teams from class 5A

Right now he is probably making a long trip home. At least the drive to Chattanooga is shorter than the ride back from Oak Ridge was last year.

Ooltewah has NOTHING to be ashamed of. They left it all on the field tonight.

Im a fan of neither team, just football. Overall it was a good offensive game. If you like big plays with not much in between then this was your game. Both run games were horrible. The lines werent creating any holes at all. Smyrna did a pretty good job keeping Gray clean though. He only had to scramble about once a quarter. He also had a couple of good sneaks to get first downs. Wilks made some huge catches(hope I spelled his name right). Definately the best athlete on Smyrna's team. He also made a couple of touchdown saving tackles on defense. For Ooltewah their passing game was decent too. The had one or two deep passes over the middle where there was obviously a breakdown in coverage. They also ran a middle screen really well. They hit Smyrna with it two or three times and it was always for big yardage. Smyrna couldnt stop it all night long. Ooltewah's OC did a good job taking advantage of Smyna's heavy blitz packages.

Some other tidbits that I noticed: Ooltewah was not in any hurry to get the play off. The QB went to the sidelines to get the play each time. They didnt have any kind of hand signals. Then the QB would trot onto the field taking his time. Ooltewah got flaged for delay of game at least six times I bet. Also, Ooltewah's kickoff return guys didnt look too confident fielding the catch. They bobbled it several times. I also noticed after Smyna's first score two of Ooltewah's players had to be seperated by the coaching staff. Dont know what that was all about. It just seemed like Smyrna was the more disciplined team tonight. Well thats what I have. Congrats to both teams and to Smyrna for proving everybody wrong.

ALL THE WAY TO STATE BABY!!!!!!!!!!

That was a great FOOTBALL game. I don't think you can say both defenses played horrible, they each made big plays.

Smyrna's Josh Crouch knocked the football out of the guy's hands to prevent the would-be touchdown.

Ooltewah forced a fumble in the last minute to get the ball back.

The most exciting football game I've ever seen. Ooltewah is a great team and congrats on a wondeful season, but the better team won tonight.

Mistakes were made by both teams, so the game came down to who could capitalize on them and who would regroup and not fall apart.

Smyrna bent, but didn't break.

Good analysis WIP. I thought that this was a game of big plays and gut checks. Ooltewah is a talented team and has nothing to be ashamed of, but I think the key to this game was that Smyrna has been tested throughout the season, whereas the Owls were drinking Gatorade while they were beating some poor team by 35. I think some East Tennessee folks on here took offense to my earlier post questioning the quality of play in East Tennessee. I wasn't questioning Ooltewah's ability to play, I was questioning the people they played and I thought it bit them in the rear tonight. Monroe got his team at least 4 delay of games with his archaic method of getting the plays in. Their hurry up offense was more like a crawl, because they obviously haven't had to run it more than twice this year, and never with a game on the line. To be honest, if these teams played 10 times, they would probably split at 5 games apiece, but Smyrna made some great plays when they had to. Josh Day was everywhere on D and Rod Wilks just absolutely was a matchup nightmare for Ooltewah.

Neither team ran the ball well, but Marshall was deadly in the screen game for the Owls. Whoever the guy was that stripped the Ooltewah player inside the five and caused the touchback is the player of the game though. I couldn't tell if it was Josh, Jonah, Orlando, or Rod, but that was a great, great play to not give up and get there.

Good analysis WIP. I thought that this was a game of big plays and gut checks. Ooltewah is a talented team and has nothing to be ashamed of, but I think the key to this game was that Smyrna has been tested throughout the season, whereas the Owls were drinking Gatorade while they were beating some poor team by 35. I think some East Tennessee folks on here took offense to my earlier post questioning the quality of play in East Tennessee. I wasn't questioning Ooltewah's ability to play, I was questioning the people they played and I thought it bit them in the rear tonight. Monroe got his team at least 4 delay of games with his archaic method of getting the plays in. Their hurry up offense was more like a crawl, because they obviously haven't had to run it more than twice this year, and never with a game on the line. To be honest, if these teams played 10 times, they would probably split at 5 games apiece, but Smyrna made some great plays when they had to. Josh Day was everywhere on D and Rod Wilks just absolutely was a matchup nightmare for Ooltewah.

Neither team ran the ball well, but Marshall was deadly in the screen game for the Owls. Whoever the guy was that stripped the Ooltewah player inside the five and caused the touchback is the player of the game though. I couldn't tell if it was Josh, Jonah, Orlando, or Rod, but that was a great, great play to not give up and get there.

I'm pretty sure it was Josh Crouch. I might be wrong though. Jonah Hendricks broke up that last pass to end the game and the play before that, LB Josh Day sacked woods with about 15 seconds left and no timeouts for the Owls. I don't think you can give any single individual the player of the game. It was a team effort.