Ooltewah @ Smyrna

Owlbino

I thought the officiating was equally bad throughout the game on both sides. The PI they called against the Owls #28, I believe, on Rod in the end zone was a ticky tack call, but it was like 1st and Goal, so its really hard to judge the impact of that one. I don't think the kid deliberately tried to take a cheap shot on Sonny on that late it, but it was just one of those plays that looked SOOOOO bad, they almost had to call it. Ooltewah I felt got a break on the PI they called on Jonah when they tried the Steve Spurrier WR pass. Jonah went for the pick and got it. There was a little contact, but that was a jump ball. Also, on the Maceo fumble, it lloked like he was down and I was sitting right in front of it. That directly led to 7 points.

I really thought Monroe's poor clock management that led to multiple delay of games and chaos in the hurry-up offense is what really killed Ooltewah. They were lucky that Antoine gave them life with that late fumble. All in all, a great game that went almost like I thought it would.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have way too many things I'm P'Oed about to even list, so I'll shorten my post to not offend too dramatically.

1. Is blow to the helmet a foul in High School yet? Did Jeremy Woods not get sacked by his helmet on the second to last play?

2. Smyrna. Make your away bleachers less stupid. Thank You.

3. To TSSAA, please make a foul for excessive use of home field advantage on the PA system. I'm proud to say that Ooltewah is home of the most boring announcer on earth, and I'm glad we're not lame enough to play the chicken dance when an opponent scores. It's fine when the band gets into it, but when you have the PA announcer yelling SAAAAAAAAAAACKED every time it happens, it just seems like it crosses the line of fairness. Second year in a row this has happened to us.

Besides those points, I think our team did not take advantage of our opportunities, and our coaching was less than spectacular in many areas. But I'm just a stupid fan, so I'll shut up and wait for next year.

And I won't be rooting for Smyrna in the championship BTW. Too much stuff happened stadium-wise for me to have much respect for them. I hope Ravenwood kills them.

I'm just too angry right now.

Edited by Owlbino

I thought the officiating was equally bad throughout the game on both sides. The PI they called against the Owls #28, I believe, on Rod in the end zone was a ticky tack call, but it was like 1st and Goal, so its really hard to judge the impact of that one. I don't think the kid deliberately tried to take a cheap shot on Sonny on that late it, but it was just one of those plays that looked SOOOOO bad, they almost had to call it. Ooltewah I felt got a break on the PI they called on Jonah when they tried the Steve Spurrier WR pass. Jonah went for the pick and got it. There was a little contact, but that was a jump ball. Also, on the Maceo fumble, it lloked like he was down and I was sitting right in front of it. That directly led to 7 points.

I really thought Monroe's poor clock management that led to multiple delay of games and chaos in the hurry-up offense is what really killed Ooltewah. They were lucky that Antoine gave them life with that late fumble. All in all, a great game that went almost like I thought it would.

Actually it was Rod Wilks that made that interception on the PI call against Smyrna. Wilks never even touched the reciever. Jonah made contact with the WR but that was after Wilks made the catch.

Edited by jmu031

Well this is my analysis after hearing a bit about the Owls and talking to some of the players this week. Smyrna is very focused on the Owls, they are over the Riverdale win, the only thing that I am some-what worried about is the fact that they have never really had any experiance against the Owls. However, film should have disected the ways of there offense in a way. In my opinion the best way to stop a "Balanced Offense" Is to play it straight up Cover 2. Have your stunts ready and your cornerback blitzes ready. If Smyrna gets pressure in the backfield and makes the QB make some bad decisions (As I have heard he actually DOES NOT turn the ball over much||EDIT||) and force the run it could make this game somewhat of a "Field Possesion" game. The run defense for the Owls is pretty good, I expect to see a lot of HALF BACK DRAWS to get the owls in some man-to-man coverage and Throw to Rod and Jesse (if he is ready to play) And or Josh Crouch. Doing that would allow some points to be put on the board. Like I said last game against Riverdale, SPECIAL TEAMS will be very important. Kick-off coverage and also Extra Points and Field goals. Look for Smyrna to put up early field goals over risks to see if Hosford (SP?) Can hit them tonight. Maybe this will finally be Rod. Wilks game to show-case his talent to more scouts to prove he isnt just a regular season WR/PR/KR. Good luck to both teams. I think Smyrna's big hits on defense rattle the YOUNG Owls and put them in a shell-shocked position and pull off the "upset" as some people are saying so.

24-14 Smyrna Wins in a close one, closer than the score, that is!

Well I am gonna analyze my "Game Predictions here it goes.

Cover 2 was played all night basically, but by the Ooltewah pretty much. The stunts and blitz packages were great at the end of the game, however, not so good because the Screen Pass was wayyy too effective but somehow, Smyrna was able to pull it off. Smyrna was able to contain the run offense of Marshall, didnt see much of that other guy. However you can consider those middle screens a "run play" in some ways. It wasnt as much as a field possession game as I thought it would be except in the 2nd half it was a very important part of it might I add. If you were at the game you saw A LOT of Half Back Draws, some more effective than others. Ooltewah's run defense showed up, I thought they would have more of a stout run defense though stopping every run but that is a bit much to expect from a highschool team. Still a good run defense though. Ooltewah's special teams were contained, no big returns really except maybe 1 punt return. I thought Smyrna did a GREAT job on punt coverage and kick coverage. Maybe a little worst for Ooltewah. Coach Shad didnt take a field goal all night, a gutsy call in the beggining of the game on the first drive that took off around 5 minutes of the clock was a good drive that converted on a couple third downs and a good QB sneak on 4th and 3 I believe. As I had thought maybe it will be Rod Wilks night to steal the show, and it was. An amazing game for Rod, some VERY nice catches, that I will hopefully get on myspace might I add, and 3 Fantastic Touchdowns! It was his night tonight he stole the show and it was fantastic, if you were a Bulldog fan. Noone was really rattled even in the end when Ooltewah was down by 11 in the 4th quarter with less than 7 minutes left to go. My hat is off to those Owls for their crowd, team, and effort. It was an amazing game. Some VERY important calls/plays in my opinion were

1. Ooltewah winning the toss and deferring to the 2nd half - People dont know this but that is a GREAT advantage.

2. Josh Crouch "USER STRIPPING" That WR in the goaline to prevent a touchdown, I about went nuts in the crowd.

3. The Fake Punt. Which was pretty amazing because if you watch the Rodriguez Wilks film from storkmontegomery (sp?) it shows that same exact fake. It was quite funny because i was with some of my school mates and right before the snap I said, "What If they fake it??" Lol sure enough!

4. Smyrna scoring putting the touchdown in with a drive taking up over 5 minutes of the clock! This was probably the 1st or 2nd most important drive because I thought it would put the game away and maybe turn it into a blow out.

5. The interception called "pass interference." That might have just flung the can open for a can of you know what if Smyrna gets that turnover.

6. Towards the end of the game Smyrna giving up that big touchdown AND the 2 point conversion.

7. The fumble by Antoine Hendricks (SP?) That was a gut punch to every Smyrna player and fan.

8. Josh Day's sacks in the last seconds of the game. Oh-so important plays in the game on the outside blitz no one picked him up.

Players of the Game

Smyrna -

Rodriguez Wilks - #5 (If you dont know his number)

Josh Day - #45 (If I remember right?)

Ooltewah -

Sean Marshall #5 (Amazing Toughness and Speed also great ability to break tackles)

There QB - Hung in there all night, great game kid!

I have way too many things I'm P'Oed about to even list, so I'll shorten my post to not offend too dramatically.

1. Is blow to the helmet a foul in High School yet? Did Jeremy Woods not get sacked by his helmet on the second to last play?

3. To TSSAA, please make a foul for excessive use of home field advantage on the PA system. I'm proud to say that Ooltewah is home of the most boring announcer on earth, and I'm glad we're not lame enough to play the chicken dance when an opponent scores. It's fine when the band gets into it, but when you have the PA announcer yelling SAAAAAAAAAAACKED every time it happens, it just seems like it crosses the line of fairness. Second year in a row this has happened to us.

Besides those points, I think our team did not take advantage of our opportunities, and our coaching was less than spectacular in many areas. But I'm just a stupid fan, so I'll shut up and wait for next year.

And I won't be rooting for Smyrna in the championship BTW. Too much stuff happened stadium-wise for me to have much respect for them. I hope Ravenwood kills them.

That's ok. We don't need your support. We got enough from Rutherford County and region 4 baby!!!

having a few maturity issues? it's ok, we all understand. i will give ooltewah credit, they were a very good team.

Well I am gonna analyze my "Game Predictions here it goes.

Cover 2 was played all night basically, but by the Ooltewah pretty much. The stunts and blitz packages were great at the end of the game, however, not so good because the Screen Pass was wayyy too effective but somehow, Smyrna was able to pull it off. Smyrna was able to contain the run offense of Marshall, didnt see much of that other guy. However you can consider those middle screens a "run play" in some ways. It wasnt as much as a field possession game as I thought it would be except in the 2nd half it was a very important part of it might I add. If you were at the game you saw A LOT of Half Back Draws, some more effective than others. Ooltewah's run defense showed up, I thought they would have more of a stout run defense though stopping every run but that is a bit much to expect from a highschool team. Still a good run defense though. Ooltewah's special teams were contained, no big returns really except maybe 1 punt return. I thought Smyrna did a GREAT job on punt coverage and kick coverage. Maybe a little worst for Ooltewah. Coach Shad didnt take a field goal all night, a gutsy call in the beggining of the game on the first drive that took off around 5 minutes of the clock was a good drive that converted on a couple third downs and a good QB sneak on 4th and 3 I believe. As I had thought maybe it will be Rod Wilks night to steal the show, and it was. An amazing game for Rod, some VERY nice catches, that I will hopefully get on myspace might I add, and 3 Fantastic Touchdowns! It was his night tonight he stole the show and it was fantastic, if you were a Bulldog fan. Noone was really rattled even in the end when Ooltewah was down by 11 in the 4th quarter with less than 7 minutes left to go. My hat is off to those Owls for their crowd, team, and effort. It was an amazing game. Some VERY important calls/plays in my opinion were

1. Ooltewah winning the toss and deferring to the 2nd half - People dont know this but that is a GREAT advantage.

2. Josh Crouch "USER STRIPPING" That WR in the goaline to prevent a touchdown, I about went nuts in the crowd.

3. The Fake Punt. Which was pretty amazing because if you watch the Rodriguez Wilks film from storkmontegomery (sp?) it shows that same exact fake. It was quite funny because i was with some of my school mates and right before the snap I said, "What If they fake it??" Lol sure enough!

4. Smyrna scoring putting the touchdown in with a drive taking up over 5 minutes of the clock! This was probably the 1st or 2nd most important drive because I thought it would put the game away and maybe turn it into a blow out.

5. The interception called "pass interference." That might have just flung the can open for a can of you know what if Smyrna gets that turnover.

6. Towards the end of the game Smyrna giving up that big touchdown AND the 2 point conversion.

7. The fumble by Antoine Hendricks (SP?) That was a gut punch to every Smyrna player and fan.

8. Josh Day's sacks in the last seconds of the game. Oh-so important plays in the game on the outside blitz no one picked him up.

Players of the Game

Smyrna -

Rodriguez Wilks - #5 (If you dont know his number)

Josh Day - #45 (If I remember right?)

Ooltewah -

Sean Marshall #5 (Amazing Toughness and Speed also great ability to break tackles)

There QB - Hung in there all night, great game kid!

You forgot 2 things:

1. The called fumble by Maceo Harris which was not a fumble because he was already on his back.

and 2. The late hit call against Ooltewah in the 4 qtr.

I knew there would be many sore losers on here after the game. You my friend are a cry baby. Home field advantage is what it says HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE. Even if the game was at Ooltewah, Smyrna would have still won. We gave you all the chances in the world. The offensive line couldn't contain Josh Day! It would look a lot better if u lost to the State Champions, instead of the runner up. So quit being a cry baby, hopefully you will get over your self by the morning. :ph34r:Smyrna was the better team tonight end of story. GO BULLDOGS!

I BELIEVE!

Ok, the reason most of the Ooltewah posters aren't on here is because they are driving home. I just got home. First of all, Congrats to the Bulldogs. You have a great team. I felt like things weren't in sync for the Owls tonight. That was a great game and for once this year things didn't fall our way. I dont' think getting beat by 3 points is proving that East Tennessee 5a football is weak. Ooltewah has a very young team and most of those kids will be back next year. I am so very proud of all of them. This has been my first experience this year of losing a game. 3 points away from the finals is pretty good for a team that wasn't even picked to win our region. Trash talk all you want. I have been guilty of doing a little of that myself this year. This game was a heartbreaker ,yes.Did we get our tails whipped ?No. We got beat by a very good Bulldog team. You guys were by far the best team we played all year. Go and win it all! I want to say we got beat by the STATE CHAMPIONS! Also, to Coach Monroe and staff and all the players you left it all on the field that is all you can do! What a season. Hold your heads up! We are all so proud of you!

Huh? You may be the only one of 5,000+ folks who saw it that way?

Maybe you will get to visit Lavergne in a coming season. Identical bleachers.

Now if you look at Riverdale, Blackman, Oakland and Siegel's stadiums they

are all alike each other, but different that Smyrna and Oakland's. Why?

COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD and COUNTY COMMISSION. They hired the architect, approved the plans and purchased the stadiums.

Wow! I never heard of a PA guy being good for a win before! I guess he helped knock down that pass at the end of the game. :lol: What did the PA guy do last year, block a kick or something? :ph34r:

I have a hunch that if your player makes the catch in the endzone at the end of the game your mood may be different... :lol:

Edited by davidlimbaugh

I don't like Boy Bands, but a certain singer from Tennessee that was in a famous boy band, came out with a song about guys like Owlbino........CRY ME A RIVER, OH, CRY ME A RIVER!!!!!

Geez, get him some Red, Red Whine with that. We told you guys all week that the 13-0 in Southeast Tennessee was equivalent to about an 11-2 in Region 4, 5, or 6 in Middle Tennessee and it showed tonight. Ooltewah has about as good of a team as anybody left, but their lack of functionality in a tight spot hurt them. Can't blame them because they blew out everybody they played. I've been keeping tabs on 5A football since the split and the differences in the abundence of quality Middle Tennessee 5A teams really shows in these playoffs. Like I said, these Smyrna kids will have played over half their schedule against playoff teams (Riverdale 2X, LaVergne 2X, Ravenwood 2X, Lebanon, Brentwood) and Brentwood, Riverdale, and Ravenwood have guys that have won state titles in this millennium calling the shots.