Ravenwood vs. White Station

CHS 2007

PapawOfBoo,

The majority of Melrose's current team is returning next year, accordiing to a Melrose-faithful CoachT poster. Plus, I strongly suspect they'll likely pick up a few good players who, otherwise, would have gone to Ridgeway.

Melrose has to be considered a Bona Fide favorite to Win the 4A Championship next year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Papaw, are you suggesting that former East High Coach (currently with Munford), Wayne Randall is under consideration for the vacant Ridgeway Head Coach's job?

Wow, that would raise quite a stink in Munford.... Can you imagine the uproar, should Coach Randall leave Munford after only one (successful) season!

On another thread it was posted that he never moved. To me that is alot of driving on a daily basis. I was just thinking out loud after you posted what you did about players picking schools. Ridgeway would need to get a well known coach to keep that from happening.

Cooley is going to a private, county or Miss. school from what I've heard. Now that B/Creast has already made its change what else is going to open up around here. I don't see any players takeing their coach with them to the next level, do you? I don't know if the new school in Olive Branch has a coach yet??

If it happened, which I doubt it will, then both schools would have a winning coach. Also I was told that Ridgeway wouldn't start looking for a new coach until he has left the school. Of course I'm sure they have been getting mail and phone calls.

Edited by PAPAWOFBOO

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey ravenwood good luck

in some ways you are like smyrna no one expected you to be here

you after you lost a few games and us after our riverdale debacle

we both have big games this friday but if some how it works out we get back together that would be great for 2 mid state teams

you guys take care of west side

and we will hopefully take car of east side

would be nice if we were able to pull this off I would love to see us play in something other than a driving rain with 40 mile an hour winds. Not using that as an excuse but rather to note I don't believe either team was able to play like they normally would in those conditions.

Unlike some people, I'm going to try to contribute to this thread. Although the WS website still has the site listed as TBA, word is the game will indeed be played at the fairgrounds. This may be subject to change though.

Here's my prediction on the game. White Station is a great team. But in recent years Williamson County teams seems to have the upper edge over Memphis teams. I think that trend continues this week. Becker and the passing game will carry this team.

Ravenwood 38

White Station 21

As far as the other game; I'm not disrespecting Smyrna, I just think Ooltewah is having the better year and they have a little better talent. The home field advantage will make it interesting for the Bulldogs, but I think the Owls come through with this one.

Ooltewah 28

Smyrna 24

Edited by CHS 2007

On another thread it was posted that he never moved. To me that is alot of driving on a daily basis. I was just thinking out loud after you posted what you did about players picking schools. Ridgeway would need to get a well known coach to keep that from happening.

Cooley is going to a private, county or Miss. school from what I've heard. Now that B/Creast has already made its change what else is going to open up around here. I don't see any players takeing their coach with them to the next level, do you? I don't know if the new school in Olive Branch has a coach yet??

If it happened, which I doubt it will, then both schools would have a winning coach. Also I was told that Ridgeway wouldn't start looking for a new coach until he has left the school. Of course I'm sure they have been getting mail and phone calls.

Hey PAPAW...have been "laying low" trying to get over our loss. Went to the Wooddale-WSHS game Friday night and boy was it hard to watch...Where was the DEFENSE??? Can't tell you how many times I heard "we should be playing," but that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Cooley can't go to a county school b/c you can't "double dip" there. He has to go out of state or private. As for it being the "best kept secret" there was never a secret to keep. Everyone has known all along he planned to leave MCS after this year, but he did not pursue any options until Ridgeway was done. The Briarcrest thing was a shock b/c rumors had been swirling but no one ever contacted him....not sure how his "style" would have fit in over there, anyway!

I am a firm believer in things happen for a reason...kind of like when he applied for the Bartlett job and didn't get it and we won state that year! How many games has Bartlett won since Scott Reed left?

No players I know of plan on taking their coach with them to the next level. I am not sure about Center Hill in Olive Branch. I know there are a couple of other schools in MS that have come open in the last week or so.

I don't think Mr. Long will wait 'til Cooley is gone to start looking for a replacement. He has asked if he would reconsider but that's not going to happen! I think TraderB makes some good points about what will happen at Ridgeway if they don't get someone good in there. It should be interesting to see what happens.

As for the Ravenwood-WSHS game, I will be pulling for my alma mater, WSHS, but I think they have a very tough road in front of them and will have to play better than they did last Friday night to win.

crc, there is no question about it ( I am also a WSHS alum, with a son playing. We need as many people pulling for us as possible ) we wil need to play great defense, and a penalty free game in order to win.

I will say that it should be a good, clean game. No smack talk, etc.

what year did you graduate - thinking 89 since that is behind your name but could be of other significance? did you play football?

I graduated farther back , 89 is the year my son was born. Lets just say that i played long enough ago to have been around when WSHS went 2 years in a row without losing a regular season game . I think we were still wearing leather helments :)

:lol: You must be older than me b/c I don't remember our football teams ever being undefeated in the regular season. We played in the Tiny Knee Bowl in Ripley, TN my senior year. My oldest son was born in 88 and graduated from Ridgeway last year. Did you play for Marino or was it before that ?:lol:

Before Marino. WSHS tied Hillcrest early in 1971 ( before I was there ) then went undefeated. We also went undefeated in 1972 before losing in the state. Coach Floyd was coaching back then.

Its funny, we never set out to have our kids go to WSHS per se, just the way it worked out. It was sort of odd walking back into the building for the first time in a few decades .