EVERYONE PLEASE READ!

TO ALL THE SENIOR FOOTBALL PLAYERS...

Do you remember the first day of practice your freshmen year. Being the small fries on the team. Your first day of camp, when you were on the scout team, and you get leveled by a big upperclassman. Having to pick up everything after practice. Being able to lift plates on bench and thinking you are the man. Having to play in the freshman games against the other team, knowing that this was all the playing time you would get for the season. Listening to the seniors tell you that your football career will go by so quick.

Then your sophmore year, where you work out to prepare for some playing time. Not being the younguns on the team. Now being counted as a varsity player instead of a freshman. Having to come to both practices in the two a days. Playing in the B Team games against the other team. Finally getting that chance to play on Friday nights under the lights.

Then your Junior year rolls around and you are now an upperclassman. You finally get that chance for a starting position. Your first scrimmage and game as a starter. Getting that crowd quieting hit during the big game. Helping the little guys on the team so they can be better.

Now your Senior year is left. Listening to the first meeting with your head coach talking about leadership. Knowing you are guaranteed only 10 games left. The thoughts of winning a championship for your city. The last Spring Practice you will ever go through. The summer workouts being the big dog on the team. The first day of practice as a Senior, looking at all the little ones on the team. The picture day when you get interviewed by the newspaper. Being captains for the first time in your career. The last region championship game you will be apart of. The Homecoming game and queen. The Senior Night game cause it is your last regular season home game. The playoffs start and you know its win or retire forever. The last second of the last game of your career, where the tears start rolling. The coach's final speech to your class. The final time you take off your jersey, telling the Juniors it is their time to step up. The final time you tell the Freshmen their career will go by just like that. Then the next school day when you clean out your locker for good. The awards banquet, knowing that this is the last football thing you have left.

Next year rolls around and you are under the Friday night lights once again, this time from the bleachers.

People may not notice this but football is a way of life for some people. I am going to miss the smell of the freshly mowed grass. The metal hitting each other in the weightroom. The smell of the locker room after practice. The loud music after a victory, or the quiet bus on the way back after a loss. The cheerleaders cheerin you on, and the crowd getting into it. The many pep rallies against your rival team. The tears and the blood, but most of all the friday nights under the lights with the fresh smell of hamburgers grilling in the background. The band playing in the background. You may not think about all this until it is all over. Cherish every momemt you have, cause once it is all over, all you have is a highlight film and memories.

WOW!! amaizing post. that is so true. Jack Diggs always said you've got 48 minutes to play and a lifetime to remember. it's been over 20 years and every fall the smell of fresh cut grass takes me back. to all of the up and coming players work your tail off 'cause like eminem said you only get one shot!!! later

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My junior year was the best because I knew there was one more. My senior year was bitter sweet. You are on top of the food chain yet the end is near. I joke with our former players calling them "Has-Beens" but they belong to a botherhood with an bond that spans ages. The Good Book teaches us that life is a vapour so do well with the time you have, especially during High School.

Excellent walk down memory lane. Funnest year ever was my senior year. I started for 3 years in hs but that was the first year I didnt worry about mistakes and enjoyed the game (winning was nice to!)

2nd favorite year sophmore in college (which was unfortunately my last)

It goes by quick so take every year, game, practice, day like it is your last!

I tell our kids that football is like 8 semesters of school.Each year that goes by 2 semesters are gone.When your senior year is up its over,unless your 1 of the lucky ones who go on to college.After our last home game the seniors run a final lap together,while all the other players wait at the end of the lap to thank them for what they have done.The younger players take it just has hard because they know their time will soon come.The 1st time i seen it , it blew me away.Alot of tears flow.For the ones who put down sports ,they don't see this kind of bond that is made every year between these players.The hard work ,the 2 a days,the sweat,the good times and the bad.Players come from all walks of life,but football brings them togather like a family.They make friends that they would never make if it wasn't for the game.But i'll end with this,it will be something that will stay with me to the end of my life to know i've been a part of so many of their lifes.Each year brings something new,but it always ends with sad goodbys.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS YEARS SENIORS,MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE.

Great Post!!!. im a senior this year and my season is over. i come home everyday

and am lost with what to do. the senior football players have to go to a class now instead of workin out witht the team. it is the worst feelin in the world. to me its like a family member diedtheres nothin worse. i would give anything to go do it over again. this post made me cry like a little baby. but it would anyone who really loved the game and it is all over for. i want to thank u for this post and to all seniors across the great state of tennessee its been a good ride and its been a ball thank everyone of you for being great opponents to me if we played. good luck

Very good post whseagles.

It does bring back those great memories even at my age

but when you are a kid, you do not pay attention to all of

that stuff. I have 3 kids in school now and one is a senior.

I will make sure he reads this. Keep up the good writing.

Now this article is what high school football is

all about especially all you seniors.

Great Job.

you hit the nail on the head...I still remember my older son's final game 3 yrs ago...tears were cried by all...he sat in the locker room in full gear and helment on...he wasn't ready for it to end...high school football is the best of what life is about...and we are all blessed to get to play a part...even if it is just being old geezers in the stands on Fri night and on coacht the rest of the week with all the answers...lol...to all this years seniors form all schools...thanks for the memories

Thanks for an excellent post! It gave me the inside of what my son must have been really feeling all this year when he talked about it...I know how I felt when I watched him play his last game and play HARD down to the last sec KNOWING they were going to lose and it was over with, so now I can kinda see why he was playing so hard...

• 3 weeks later...

whseagles55isthebest, you have sent cold chills all over me and brought tears to my eyes. I have said before that I never felt the kind of hurt I felt as when my nephew walked off the field after his last game this year. I knew it would hurt but it hurt alot more than I ever realized it would. It was really heartbreaking when he hugged me and thanked me. I ask him why was he thanking me and he said for supporting him, it took my breathe away and then I told him "Thank you for giving me all these wonderful, nerve wrecking but exciting Friday nights" I figured I would not care to much for football untill I had someone else real close to me playing again but I was wrong. I made some great friends on the sideline and learned that ever player on the team meant as much to me in my heart as my nephew. I will be proud to ring my cowbell for the GV Tigers for years to come and I plan on ringing it at several of the WM eagles games also because Coach Kelley (JackJack) has a special place in my heart as well. Good luck to the Eagles next year and hope they win them all but one.