Goodpasture vs. Alcoa

GHSFAN07

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oknative,

don't get to upset with the smith county fans. they are still upset about the spanking they took in the playoffs in '99 as goodpasture was on it's way to the gold ball. this happening after the "so call fluke" in the rain earlier that year.

i still like goodpasture coming out on top. i can remember when i graduated that people were already talking about this years senior class and how unreal they were going to be, and so far they have lived up to it. don't see why they would stop now.

GP WILL HAVE THEIR HANDS FULL WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE A PRETTY EXPLOSIVE OFFENSE IN ALCOA, HOWEVER I BELIEVE ALCOA WILL HAVE THEIR TROUBLES STOPPING GP AS WELL. IF THERE IS ONE WEAK SPOT THOUGH I HAVE NOTICED WITH GP, IT HAS TO BE ON THE DEFENSIVE SIDE OF THE FOOTBALL, THEY JUST APPEAR INCONSISTENT AT TIMES AND ARE DEFINITELY VUNERABLE TO GIVING UP THE BIG PLAY, ESPECIALLY IN THE SECONDARY. THEY REALLY HAVE NOT FACED A WELL BALANCED OFFENSIVE TEAM THAT CAN RUN AND THROW THE FOOTBALL EXTREMELY WELL. GOODPASTURE WILL HAVE TO SUSTAIN LONG DRIVES TO KEEP THE ALCOA OFFENSE OFF THE FIELD, AND HOPE TO WIN THE FIELD POSITION BATTLE.

I DONT THINK THERE IS REALLY A DEFENSE OUT THERE THAT THE GP OFFENSE WILL NOT HAVE SUCCESS AGAINST, I DONT SEE WHAT MAKES ALCOA ANY DIFFERENT. I STILL SAY THE COUGARS COME UP SHORT IN A HARD FOUGHT GAME, FINAL PREDICTION

ALCOA 28

GP 21

PROVE ME WRONG COUGARS.

The difference that Alcoa has is that they are stronger, faster, more disciplined than anyone GP has seen. If Alcoa can contain Maryville, they can contain GP.

Alcoa will be able maintain the run because they have depth, which for some reason all people want to discuss is how many backs GP has. Alcoa is deeper than any 2A school and you will see them consistently run people on the field while on defense. The Alcoa defensive is very physical and stout. To go along with their toughness, no one can match their overall defensive speed. Alcoa's defense also thrives on turnovers which is often caused by the pressure they put on the QB and the force in which they attack the ball.

Another reason why Alcoa will be able to contain GP is because they have been tested by the best. They held their ground against Maryville (far better offense than GP), they held their ground against Fulton (very explosive and fast offense), and they contained BJ Coleman and McCallie (the best passing attack in TN).

Simply put: GP does not have the power of Maryville, the speed of Fulton, not the passing game of McCallie

Thanks for the take. Hoping to hear some specific x's and o's from others.

Does Alcoa put 8 in the box to force GP to pass, or do they play straight up because they don't think they need to put 8 in the box? Does GP go nickle and dime with periodic blitzing forcing pressure on Alcoa's QB or does GP play their base D? I'd be interested to know if anyone has any insiside scoop on gameplans.

It's Thursday and the gameplan "hay is in the barn". I'll say this from a GP perspective, they've played and defeated Lipscomb which is smashmouth. They've played and defeated CPA twice which runs a no huddle spread the entire game. I can't wait to see what kind of defensive packages both teams have. The first defensive series will be very telling for each defense. Thanks again for the take. Looking for others.

I really believe this game here is where the Maryville/Fulton/McCallie game will pay off. Alcoa scored as many touchdowns as Fulton, but Fulton converted 3 2 point conversions and beat them. Alcoa got wore down by Fultons large size near the end, and got beat by a few big plays. Since then Alcoa has pulled it together and is rolling. Alcoa fought hard against a talented Maryville, and Goodpasture is no Maryville. The McCallie game really tested their resilience (sp). Now it is the big game and they will be ready. A few turnovers by Goodpasture and this one will be like last year. Alcoa would have to play their worst game to lose this one,a nd I don't see them doing that in the championship game. Rankin will have the boys ready.

If Alcoa scores first then holds Goodpasture and scores again Goodpasture is in trouble. Alcoa is a team they do not want to play catch up with. If they pressure Cobb you will see how he is so dangerous. Last year Alcoa had a cpable Fiegler at QB that was not the most mobile. This years QB can pass and run. Many dimensions of Alcoas offense exist and you will most likly see all this friday.

Edited by mcwrestler

I will be there Friday night hoping to see a great game. However I agree with a previous poster that stated he felt like GP defense was vulnerable. Every Milan fan knew we were still a year or two away from being a serious contender for the title. Saying that, Milan moved the ball exceptionally well against GP, just could not finsh drives. Our biggest problem all year long. We are young but got some great experience that should help us in the next couple of years. If Alcoa played with Maryville and Fulton then beat McCallie, they must be good. If GP can slow down the Tornado offense it will be a close game. I just don't see GP being as fast as they think nor do I see them beating Alcoa. GP fans, think about last week. Milan hung with you guys then GP pulled away. I see the scenario but this time Alcoa will be pulling away.

Good luck to both teams!!

Alcoa 34

GP 21

The difference that Alcoa has is that they are stronger, faster, more disciplined than anyone GP has seen. If Alcoa can contain Maryville, they can contain GP.

No, I think we have seen Alcoa last year and they might be the same or equal

to last year's team and that is about it. The reason Goodpasture is undefeated

is that they have changed becoming stronger and faster and using more backs

to get the job done on offense. Talking about depth, they have it and more.

The defense has got it done all year and certainly will Friday night against Alcoa.

Get ready to see a great game with Goodpasture coming out on top by at least

10 points. It has been a great season by this Cougar team and I look forward to watching them bring the Gold Ball back to Middle Tennessee.

Go Cougars!

to last year's team and that is about it. The reason Goodpasture is undefeated

is that they have changed becoming stronger and faster and using more backs

to get the job done on offense. Talking about depth, they have it and more.

The defense has got it done all year and certainly will Friday night against Alcoa.

Get ready to see a great game with Goodpasture coming out on top by at least

10 points. It has been a great season by this Cougar team and I look forward to watching them bring the Gold Ball back to Middle Tennessee.

Go Cougars!

Win by 10. that is a joke. they may have more depth at runningback but not better quality than our first and second runningbacks. And for all the other positions we have more depth then GP by two or three people. We also have just two people playing both ways the whole time. This is where we have improved from last year. and it is going to be more like GP loseing by 21.

Edited by noquarter

to last year's team and that is about it.

Different coach, different team. Remember, our boys are a year older, bigger, stronger, and faster than last year. How can you say that "they might be the same or equal to last year's team" when you haven't seen them this year???

Gotta love it when people underestimate our boys!

Win or lose, I'm proud to be a TORNADO!!!!

BRING IT HOME WHERE IT BELONGS, BOYS!!!