Goodpasture vs. Alcoa

GHSFAN07

Congratulations Alcoa on the three peat! Also belated congrats to Shivy on the well deserved Mr Football Award and Sykes for being a finalist. Lots of bantering going on in this thread. I will leave you guys to it. :unsure: But would like to remind folks that Alcoa lost two games. To the 3A State champ and the 4A State champ by a total of six points. They are undisputedly the best team in 2A. The road to Murfreesboro runs through good ole Blount County.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was disgusted the way the Goodpasture guys played, they played like they hope to win, but would get up after play and get in a player from Alcoa's face and say something, very unclassy .. but not unusual for Goodpasture over the years .... they have been known for late hits, unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, and personal fouls .... and majority of this started in 2003 the year Coach Holloway ( the former defensive coordinator) left.

As an assistant coach after coaching against Goodpasture this year and seeing them play CPA in the playoffs, their playcalling perplexed me ..... All we heard all year was how much faster and stronger they were ..... well they were whipped by a smaller team on both sides of the line, and were no where close to the speed of Alcoa .... I was also surprised that Cunningham and Goodloe never touched the ball ( I dont know why they didnt), and Harris didnt seem to get carries untill the game was 17-3, I am not saying Medley, Lovell, or Mayes arent good backs ..... but I didnt see the normal rotation that they use .... Also another fact that has escaped everyone's mind .... In games against touch competition this year (JPII, DL, CPA (2), and Milan) the Cougars pass defense was exploited , and Alcoa did the same thing those teams did and they were also able to slow down their running game

Goodpasture is now 0-3 in title games when coming in unbeaten 1978, 1996, and 2006.

What is next year like?

How much longer will Martin stay?

Who takes over whenever he does decide to leave?

"Goodpasture could not get a break, not even from the officials. "

FBEmeritus: Were you at the game, Bubba??? Guess it depends on your perspective. Alcoa had some trouble catching a break, too. But, human error is part of the game.

Congratulations to Goodpasture for keeping it close the 1st half. But, as somebody said earlier, 2 halves make a game.

Goodpasture was the best 2A team we've seen all year, especially between the 20's. Would love to see a matchup between GP & Smith County...now that would be a game!

Alcoa's defense made the stops when they had to. THEY ARE AWESOME!!!!

THANK YOU, COACH NIX!!!!

Shivy and company wore GP's defense down, just kept coming at them until they couldn't take it anymore. Tate finally got the ball in the 2nd half (I think it was) and played right into their hands...the defense was so focused on Shivy, they forgot about Tate!

Then, they forgot about Lanxter (congrats, by the way!). So much for playing without mistakes like last year.

I was relieved to see that GP actually decided to receive the ball the 2nd half! That shows they did mature some over the year!

GP: are you sure your scales are right? I didn't think the lines looked like they were 250+. Maybe they just wear their weight well.

After the 1st touchdown in the 3rd quarter, it was easy to see that the GP guys gave up. They were slow to get up and get back in the huddle.

Then, when their fans started leaving, I'm sure that was very disheartening to them.

GP fans: don't take the gloating to heart. You know you'd be doing the same thing if you had won. Let Alcoa fans have their fun... we don't know what next year will bring: we may have a 3A team next year instead !!! (sorry, had to do it!)

I think it was mcwrestler who asked why the GP fans were all spread out and not sitting close together. One word for you: FAMILY.

Alcoa, thank you for being my family!!!

Congrats to Alcoa on a great win!!!!

As someone said earlier: The road to the 'Boro comes through Blount County!!!

Edited by tornadogold

I was disgusted the way the Goodpasture guys played, they played like they hope to win, but would get up after play and get in a player from Alcoa's face and say something, very unclassy .. but not unusual for Goodpasture over the years .... they have been known for late hits, unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, and personal fouls .... and majority of this started in 2003 the year Coach Holloway ( the former defensive coordinator) left.

As an assistant coach after coaching against Goodpasture this year and seeing them play CPA in the playoffs, their playcalling perplexed me ..... All we heard all year was how much faster and stronger they were ..... well they were whipped by a smaller team on both sides of the line, and were no where close to the speed of Alcoa .... I was also surprised that Cunningham and Goodloe never touched the ball ( I dont know why they didnt), and Harris didnt seem to get carries untill the game was 17-3, I am not saying Medley, Lovell, or Mayes arent good backs ..... but I didnt see the normal rotation that they use .... Also another fact that has escaped everyone's mind .... In games against touch competition this year (JPII, DL, CPA (2), and Milan) the Cougars pass defense was exploited , and Alcoa did the same thing those teams did and they were also able to slow down their running game

Goodpasture is now 0-3 in title games when coming in unbeaten 1978, 1996, and 2006.

What is next year like?

Where is Coach Holloway? There was a funny story going around in the stands during the game the other night. Evidentally Coach Martin was talking to Coach Rankin earlier in the week and told him this would be his last game if he won! Arrogance? I don't know.....but I don't think I would have said that. Keep in mind though, he and Gary have known each other going back to the Westmoreland/Smith County days.

What is next year like?

Were you on the field??NO!so you fdont know what was said...couldve been trash couldve been regular competition talk some of the players know each other.Im disgusted at you,maybe your mad because they played differently when they beat you...I know you were on the losing side of the field then so keep that in mind when you bash GP..but maybe you just love to kick when someones down instead of doing it yourself!I guess he's coaching better than you...you watched he coached!

From a CPA fan:

Congrats to Alcoa. They were favorites all year (polls mean nothing - ask USC), but it still takes a supreme effort to stay "king of the mountain" when others are climbing up to try and knock you off.

Congrats to GP. They had a great year and did close the gap a little, but Alcoa's athleticism, speed, and diversity on offense ruled.

It is amazing how dominent both Alcoa and Maryville have become as close as those two schools are to each other and that they are rivals. Kind of a shame they aren't in the same division.

Also, now that the season is over, I reflect on all the Coact T whining about private school advantages. 4 of the 5 state champs are public schools. WHY? Because they have great programs starting in the early grades, great coaching, great fan support, they work hard, and take great pride in accomplishment and dedication to goals. Those public schools who always whine about being unable to compete with the private schools need to learn from Alcoa, Maryville, Fulton, and other winning programs like them.

Great season, everyone and I look to see CPA playing Alcoa next year in the 'Boro. Or does the new alignment change that?

Edited by divepix

What is next year like?

Think before you speak...I guess since you kids lost to GP then they must have played like they hoped to win..Thats what you said since ours lost

Great Year Goodpasture!Good Luck Next Year!Surprise Some People,Make Them Believers!

I tried to be congratulatory.

I tried to say good game.

I tried to show concession.

But you didn't want any part of it.

No, you wanted to get your digs in despite our congratulations from numerous GP fans, and doing so show yourselves as poor winners to the rest of the state. Can't even take a "good job" from the losers and call it quits.

Sure you won the game, but you've showed yourselves as fools, poor winners, arrogant and poor sports.

And for what. This is just a message board for football gamesmanship. Thats it. This isn't serious stuff. Certainly not important in the big scheme of things. Yet there should always be good sportsmanship, even on these boards.

But Whining?? Not at all. I call it having fun making yourselves look like you've successfully done. Like taking candy from a baby!

See ya next year.

oknative-not OK

1st, I'm from middle TN not Alcoa.

2nd I've played against Goodpasture in my day and beat them as bad as Alcoa did. :)

3rd I've followed Alcoa over the last 6 years and set in their stands and seen a group of hard working kids on the field that are a reflection of their parents blue collar work ethics. :)

I didn't know we were judged by what a few did in our community or that typing/grammer skills were judged on this site. Doesn't sound like Christian values to me. What are they teaching over at GHS?

If your an OK fan, I know you wouldn't want their program judged on some of their past hoods.

Goodpasture serves a great vaule to that past of town and has exceled at every sport they compete in. That should be enough to make U happy w/o attacking the Alcoa fans.

Also instead of attacking Alcoau need to talk to the AD at GHS and have them schedule some teams that will really test them during the season so that they are not called overrated at the end of the year.

Being spanked 2 yr's stright should tell the coach and AD that they need to change something. Alcoa is not moving up and their head coach is the real deal.

Better luck in Basketball Season!

Great win Alcoa, the Gold Ball runs through Blount Co...... and Broadway ;-p It's true football over here is more then just a sport and it's traditiom. When these kids play, all the fans aren't just there to watch, they are support, it is like a family over here in the Knox area, I don't think GP has that... no offense, that's just how it seemed. I notice on the boards here too that you all are getting angry with each other, that doesn't show brotherhood to me.

Congratulations to Alcoa, Fulton, and Maryville!!