Private schools going to state title games

jacksoncounty

I'm not affliated with any school. You're right in the # of privates in the playoffs, but there are also public schools (Alcoa, Maryville, among others) who dominate as well.

I do find it interesting that people keep changing how teams are classified though, in an apparent effort to keep privates out of division I championshps.

DII was created b/c publics got tired of competing against Brentwood Academy, etc... But private schools kept winning, so then the multiplier rule went into effect. Yet private schools kept winning.

So now you think something else needs to happen? At this point, it's either jack the multipler through the roof, or evict all privates from the current system and create a "public" division. Can't really see how that's fair. Still doesn't address magnet schools or open-zone county schools, in regards to how the level playing field just among public schools isn't really all that level.

Amen!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodpasture does recruit regardless of what anyone says. The players come from as far away as Kentucky to play there. We played with you tonight for the most part except for the sweeps when Medley broke free more than once. The 7-6 halftime score was probably the closest all year for you. You have a great team with much speed.

I SAID THAT TO SAY THIS. Milan players come from a radius of less than 10 miles to play at Milan. There is not a Class 2-A team in the state can beat us made up of kids from a 10 mile radius of their school. Alcoa will beat you again just maybe not as bad as last year.

Like you guys haven't had kids from all over Gibson Co and surrounding counties. Like people don't move into your school district(or attempt to). The only reason you can say that you only have kids from a 10 mile radius NOW is because of a court order. In the past(like when you went back to back) you had kids from all over West Tn.

I wish all the Milan people would quit whinning.

For those who still depute the claim that private schools playing in the smallest public classifications consider this: Class 1A: Two private schools will play for title (Jackson Christian vs. Friendship Christian); Class 2A: one private school in finals (Goodpasture); Class 3A: one private school in final (David Lipscomb). That is four of the six schools playing for the title in the 3 smallest classifications. Of course none in 4A and 5A so this trend will likely continue unless the smaller schools demand that the private schools play in the private classifications (Division II). The private schools that play in the public classes may be few but they dominate. Good luck to Alcoa and Fulton in the finals, as the only two schools representing the public schools.

Here's hoping one day the TSSAA will level the playing field.

I wish they would too! Take away the multiplier. How does it level the playing field?

We can talk all we want. Bottom line, once again both Class 1A teams in the finals are private. And one of the finalists in Class 2A and 3A are private. 6 of 8 in the smallest classifications. That speaks for itself. There is a problem here admit it or not.

What is the problem? Aren't all the teams in T$$AA DI? Why would it be a problem is all teams were public or all the teams were private. The are all member of DI schools.

And when the TSSAA "levels" the playing field, I am sure you mean that they should also forbid tax support for the public athletic programs, right? I mean, is it fair that private school parents have to pay for their school's athletic program and yours too?

DII is for schools that give scholarships and recruit players. Not all private schools want or can afford to do that. Most have to rely on making teams out of the group of kids that enroll, just like public schools. And if you look at statistics, in areas where there are private schools, there are still more kids going to the public schools so the pool is still larger for the public school teams.

The schools that suffer are the rural schools and their problem is smaller populations, not public vs private. A private school in a rural area would have the same problem as the public school in that area - a smaller population from which to draw students/players.

This is BS #1 in small poorer counties there very little if any tax money or money coming from schoolbards to fund athletics. While your private school kids are lifting weights and running our public school kids are washing cars and selling donuts so they can afford to buy helmets and shoulder pads. #2 ALL private schools recruit if they don't their STUPID if they say they don't their LYING. I agree not all give scholarships but when you can limit your # of students you accept and you only accept students with a certain 40 time or Bench press max you stay in low classifications with a school full of athletes. One person on here was defending this saying they had all been in the school since seventh grade DUHHHH!!! get the best youth players on your middle school team early so when thy are freshman they know the scheme and by the time their juniors theyve run a certain offense or defensive scheme TOGETHER for 4 years. I don't care what the argument is Public and Private schools are not on a level playing field. In a normal 1a school you have around 300 students about 200 of those can't walk and chew gum at the same time which leaves you close to 100 athletic kids if half are Female you have 50 males to choose from for your football team 10 of them won't like the coach and 5 more stay in trouble or fail classes and don't play now you have 35 players half of which are underclassmen now you have 17-18 upper classmen and if you are very lucky 11 of those has played before , and if you are very very lucky 2 of them are really good players. Do you have these problems at private schools? No cause you have 300 hand picked kids from good homes with money to burn, out of your 300 100 of them are there to keep your schools average GPA up and everyone else PLAYS BALL!!

Ya'll, I'm telling you I know hundreds of players that go (and have gone) to private schools (mostly the SAME private school since they could walk) and NOT A SINGLE BLOOMIN' ONE OF THEM gets to go there for free, NOR do they get a reduced tuition rate. There is NO difference between a DI private school and a DI public school when it comes to recruiting. The AD for Riverdale, a PUBLILC school, can go to California, Florida, and Japan if he wants to, use ATHLETIC PROGRAM MONEY that was raised by SUPPORTERS OF THE PROGRAM, and run an ad on national television that says "I want every single top football player in the land at my school so that you can play football and together we can be the best team the earth has ever seen!" THAT WOULD BE PERFECTLY LEGAL!!!!! He could solicit kids, families, parents, heck, whoever he wanted to come to play for Riverdale. Try to get them to move to the area, and play for Riverdale. And any other public school can do the exact same thing. ANY DI school can, public or private. There is no advantage. Why don't we flip the tables and say there's an advantage to the public schools??? We could say all the AD has to do is get the family to move in from CA!!! The privates have to get them to move AND pay tuition!!! :D I know it's on the point of funny, but it's the absolute truth! Some people try to say the privates recruit, and if they do THAT sort of recruiting, it's their perogitive. Publics can do as much of that as they want. The only difference is that publics don't have to raise their own money to do it with.

All the money public schools raise goes to buy Helmets and shoulder pads, and we are all not as lucky to have the tradition or funds like a Riverdale does.

This is BS #1 in small poorer counties there very little if any tax money or money coming from schoolbards to fund athletics. While your private school kids are lifting weights and running our public school kids are washing cars and selling donuts so they can afford to buy helmets and shoulder pads. #2 ALL private schools recruit if they don't their STUPID if they say they don't their LYING. I agree not all give scholarships but when you can limit your # of students you accept and you only accept students with a certain 40 time or Bench press max you stay in low classifications with a school full of athletes. One person on here was defending this saying they had all been in the school since seventh grade DUHHHH!!! get the best youth players on your middle school team early so when thy are freshman they know the scheme and by the time their juniors theyve run a certain offense or defensive scheme TOGETHER for 4 years. I don't care what the argument is Public and Private schools are not on a level playing field. In a normal 1a school you have around 300 students about 200 of those can't walk and chew gum at the same time which leaves you close to 100 athletic kids if half are Female you have 50 males to choose from for your football team 10 of them won't like the coach and 5 more stay in trouble or fail classes and don't play now you have 35 players half of which are underclassmen now you have 17-18 upper classmen and if you are very lucky 11 of those has played before , and if you are very very lucky 2 of them are really good players. Do you have these problems at private schools? No cause you have 300 hand picked kids from good homes with money to burn, out of your 300 100 of them are there to keep your schools average GPA up and everyone else PLAYS BALL!!

I seriously doubt you've seen the inner workings of a private school. We did fundraisers to help pay for athletics and also to cover tuition and capital projects. Zero % of our school is funded with public funds so everything is paid for through fundraising and tuition.

As for your recruiting comments ... totally baseless. If you know of a specific instance of recruiting, then please enlighten us.

Although, I will admit that having middle schoolers and junior high kids play within the scheme helps ... but I know the many, many of the publics do it too ... Trousdales junior high runs the high school offense too. Coach Satt runs a tight ship up there.

I seriously doubt you've seen the inner workings of a private school. We did fundraisers to help pay for athletics and also to cover tuition and capital projects. Zero % of our school is funded with public funds so everything is paid for through fundraising and tuition.

As for your recruiting comments ... totally baseless. If you know of a specific instance of recruiting, then please enlighten us.

Although, I will admit that having middle schoolers and junior high kids play within the scheme helps ... but I know the many, many of the publics do it too ... Trousdales junior high runs the high school offense too. Coach Satt runs a tight ship up there.

Enlighten me on how many candy bars your football team sold to pay for the best fascilities in the state. Every I mean EVERY private schools fascilities are 10x that of 90% of public schools. I'm not saying that is an advantage but you want to argue public funds and fundraisers Where do ya get that kind of cash?

Enlighten me on how many candy bars your football team sold to pay for the best fascilities in the state. Every I mean EVERY private schools fascilities are 10x that of 90% of public schools. I'm not saying that is an advantage but you want to argue public funds and fundraisers Where do ya get that kind of cash?

OK ... I can only speak for when I was in school.

I sold candy bars countless times. Too many to count actually.

I sold the little discount cards every year.

I sold magazines every year.

I participated in many a car wash.

We solicited donations from local businesses and business owners just like the public schools.

My parents paid FULL tuition for me and all of my siblings. FULL tuition. Go figure since we were all year round athletes. :D

Most small, Christian privates don't have great facilities. The ones that do are the private prep schools. But they are run more like universities in that they recruit and hire PhD teachers, have endowments, and charge $16K+ in tuition. Is that wrong? No ... those facilities and programs (academically and athletically) weren't built in a day. Many of the preps have been around for 100 years or so.

Edited by tnsddeveloper

Dont forget the $1000.00 a year reserved parking spaces for all the big games. JCS has them, I'm sure other private schools do to. All in the name of good quality Christian education.

Actually ... as a fundraiser for the local public that my practice is near in Davidson Co ... I pay almost that for a "parking" space for that public school's athletic programs. Some advertising comes with the "space" ... but it is a good word of mouth and tax right off for me. :D

one question to the privates. why do you appose being in your own class? is it because you dont want to compete against other privates?

We oppose being in our own class because it will cause enormous travel times to a from games and the guaranteed games with the publics b/c of them being in our region will be gone. When was the last time you heard of a Davidson Co. public school playing a private in Football? MBA, BA, MUS ... all have to travel out of state multiple times a year just to fill their schedules.

In essence, we just want the same "rules" or "multipliers" applied to all schools. It is obvious that some schools (public or private) have advantages. Ravenwood is 4 or so years old and playing in 5A championship #2 and Maryville and Alcoa are playing for championships #1000 and #1001 (just kidding ... but it sure seems that way). We want a system that levels the playing field for all teams ... not just in the publics favor. Although ... after the first year provided a successful result (no private champions) for the public school ... this year the multiplier move appears to have backfired.

Edited by tnsddeveloper