Private schools going to state title games

jacksoncounty

For those who still depute the claim that private schools playing in the smallest public classifications consider this: Class 1A: Two private schools will play for title (Jackson Christian vs. Friendship Christian); Class 2A: one private school in finals (Goodpasture); Class 3A: one private school in final (David Lipscomb). That is four of the six schools playing for the title in the 3 smallest classifications. Of course none in 4A and 5A so this trend will likely continue unless the smaller schools demand that the private schools play in the private classifications (Division II). The private schools that play in the public classes may be few but they dominate. Good luck to Alcoa and Fulton in the finals, as the only two schools representing the public schools.

Here's hoping one day the TSSAA will level the playing field.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who still depute the claim that private schools playing in the smallest public classifications consider this: Class 1A: Two private schools will play for title (Jackson Christian vs. Friendship Christian); Class 2A: one private school in finals (Goodpasture); Class 3A: one private school in final (David Lipscomb). That is four of the six schools playing for the title in the 3 smallest classifications. Of course none in 4A and 5A so this trend will likely continue unless the smaller schools demand that the private schools play in the private classifications (Division II). The private schools that play in the public classes may be few but they dominate. Good luck to Alcoa and Fulton in the finals, as the only two schools representing the public schools.

Wow, let's complain some more. Being from GP, I'm sure you say we recruit...blah blah blah...and all that. I'm a Sr. I have some shcool spirit. And I can tell you of the 19 Srs. on our team...16 of em have been going to school here since 7th grade...It's like that through the whole school. People come here because of the school....it'd be a terrible day when you lie to win football games...so stink it up and stop complaining about it.

Thought the multiplier was going to level the playing field?

What about Alcoa, who's been in the championship game 4 of the last six years? Shouldn't something be done about that?

And I thought the the thread about last years JBHS team beating last years Trousdale was some trash..... Hats off. Your whining and complete ignorance has made me laugh. And, my guess is, I will laugh about this post in my dreams tonight. And then all day tomorrow.

And when the TSSAA "levels" the playing field, I am sure you mean that they should also forbid tax support for the public athletic programs, right? I mean, is it fair that private school parents have to pay for their school's athletic program and yours too?

DII is for schools that give scholarships and recruit players. Not all private schools want or can afford to do that. Most have to rely on making teams out of the group of kids that enroll, just like public schools. And if you look at statistics, in areas where there are private schools, there are still more kids going to the public schools so the pool is still larger for the public school teams.

The schools that suffer are the rural schools and their problem is smaller populations, not public vs private. A private school in a rural area would have the same problem as the public school in that area - a smaller population from which to draw students/players.

And when the TSSAA "levels" the playing field, I am sure you mean that they should also forbid tax support for the public athletic programs, right? I mean, is it fair that private school parents have to pay for their school's athletic program and yours too?

DII is for schools that give scholarships and recruit players. Not all private schools want or can afford to do that. Most have to rely on making teams out of the group of kids that enroll, just like public schools. And if you look at statistics, in areas where there are private schools, there are still more kids going to the public schools so the pool is still larger for the public school teams.

The schools that suffer are the rural schools and their problem is smaller populations, not public vs private. A private school in a rural area would have the same problem as the public school in that area - a smaller population from which to draw students/players.

Good points....I agree....

Just stating the facts here that's all. Don't shoot the messenger. Is it that some of you guys feel you can't compete in Division II?????

I'm not affliated with any school. You're right in the # of privates in the playoffs, but there are also public schools (Alcoa, Maryville, among others) who dominate as well.

I do find it interesting that people keep changing how teams are classified though, in an apparent effort to keep privates out of division I championshps.

DII was created b/c publics got tired of competing against Brentwood Academy, etc... But private schools kept winning, so then the multiplier rule went into effect. Yet private schools kept winning.

So now you think something else needs to happen? At this point, it's either jack the multipler through the roof, or evict all privates from the current system and create a "public" division. Can't really see how that's fair. Still doesn't address magnet schools or open-zone county schools, in regards to how the level playing field just among public schools isn't really all that level.

Good post. Can't say I agree with you, but I know where you are coming from. Now tell me why is 66.7% of the teams in the finals in those 3 classifications private??? Luck?

Perhaps the laughter will continue when you are forced to play in the private school league in the near future.

Well, since JCS (as Im sure GP, FCS, Trinity, FA, and the list goes on...) doesn't recruit, then we wont have to worry about playing in a "private school league" aka DII. And I don't see TSSAA making a league for private schools. So yes. My laughter will most likely continue. :ph34r: