Whats wrong with total public/private split?

mphstigerfan

Why don't we just have one big free for all no classifications 1 team from each super region makes the playoffs that way no small public could ever win a state title , would that be better for you and your deal with it attitude.

isn't this why Notre Dame left D2 and started playing "smaller" schools? if it's not there, it's not there...don't run off and go to a division where you start to bully those teams, stick around and learn something. but, in this sensitive day and age it has become about giving kids a "fair" advantage to be winners, state title winners at that...getting out on the field isn't enough for anyone anymore.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so at the ripe old age of 30 you are ready to call yourself elderly...you're just not giving yourself much of a chance are you?

I never said elderLY , but if your the little smart alec , snotty nose 18 year old kid that you make yourself sound like then young man I am your elder. Didn't they teach you that in school or were you just already to intelligent to listen to those stupid teachers of yours.

a split signifies intolerance and prejudice on a whole new level, and i think we've already gone thru times like that.

Totally uncalled for. Both the privates and publics play by two differnt sets of rules. Privates can draw kids from anywhere no matter how far they have to drive, some from 9 differrent counties (I know I have beat that one to death). Also there are some publics that have open zone that is also an advantage. If you split you can control publics by stopping open zones in sports and in privates you can control which schools can and cannot recieve legal assistance. Thats not prejudice, thats evening a playing field so all kids can have a legit shot at a championship.

Why don't we just have one big free for all no classifications 1 team from each super region makes the playoffs that way no small public could ever win a state title , would that be better for you and your deal with it attitude.

If they did that you wouldnt see that many great student athletes going to go play for a strong private school because you dont have very many large privates to compete with the 4 and 5A schools

but, in this sensitive day and age it has become about giving kids a "fair" advantage to be winners, state title winners at that...getting out on the field isn't enough for anyone anymore.

It is good enough, but you play to win (I think). Have fun yes, but getting your brains beat in year after year isnt fun. Its not a sensitive day and age, its wanting to "even" the playing field so coaches, parents, and especially the kids can get the most out of competeing and learning life lessons in the process.

These are 2 great coaches. I don't see why they wouldn't be successful anywhere.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for offering that opinion.

I think that generally speaking, a good coach is a good coach no matter where he or she goes; however, I do believe that there are some places where certain coaches (even good ones) wouldn't necessarily be a good fit. BigG admitted that the type of players and the level of their dedication to off-season participation impacted his ability to be successful at his school. I think similar factors may positively impact a coach's ability to succeed in a given public school setting also.

I wonder what some of our public school supporters think?

I never said elderLY , but if your the little smart alec , snotty nose 18 year old kid that you make yourself sound like then young man I am your elder. Didn't they teach you that in school or were you just already to intelligent to listen to those stupid teachers of yours.

...it looks to me like you just haven't had enough people tell you how wrong/close-minded you are, therefore your feelings have been hurt by someone who is only a year younger than you. it's a discussion board, where human emotion is hidden behind a computer monitor. i would most definitely repeat anything i've said on here to your face. you can't deny fact and if it's the matter-of-fact attitude that makes you mad then you're living in a utopia...it's not easy to point out sarcasm and a joking manner on a discussion board, but nothing i've said on here strays too far from the truth, maybe people should start telling you how they feel more often and bring your head down out of the clouds.

Signed,

Class of '96

...it looks to me like you just haven't had enough people tell you how wrong/close-minded you are, therefore your feelings have been hurt by someone who is only a year younger than you. it's a discussion board, where human emotion is hidden behind a computer monitor. i would most definitely repeat anything i've said on here to your face. you can't deny fact and if it's the matter-of-fact attitude that makes you mad then you're living in a utopia...it's not easy to point out sarcasm and a joking manner on a discussion board, but nothing i've said on here strays too far from the truth, maybe people should start telling you how they feel more often and bring your head down out of the clouds.

Signed,

Class of '96

Your either really brave , really big , or constantly carrying a weapon if you would have the gall to talk to people face to face like you have here. You have called people ignorant , poor parenting jacka##'s ( that I did'nt think you could even post on here) , and were I live if you said that to someones face you would get the taste slapped out of your mouth. Attitude doesn't upset me poor or bad attitude does however. Attitude it takes to be successful on the field or in life is much different than calling people names and thinking your better than everyone else and they should just deal with it. Look lets stop the name calling and personel attacks (myself included) and get back to arguing about the topic we have here. My opinion there should be a split, Why? Because small 1A publics can't draw the athletes to their program as easily as privates simply because of $$$$$$. Most privates have more money for better fascilities both in the classroom and on the field. Privates can also choose the number of students they have to keep them in a certain classification even with the multiplier. This is my opinion right or wrong that is how I feel. Lets have a descent debate on this and stop the senseless bickering about who is the oldest has been ;)

Edited by old24eagle

My opinion there should be a split, Why? Because small 1A publics can't draw the athletes to their program as easily as privates simply because of $$$$$$.

So because people aren't happy with 1A privates, we should make everyone leave?

Most privates have more money for better fascilities both in the classroom and on the field.

The key word is most, but it is generally wrong. There are many private schools that STRUGGLE to stay on top of their budget. The super privates (BA, McCallie etc) are the exception.

There are many private schools (we'll use Grace and CCS basketball) that don't have adequate facilities. When you play a rivalry game (Grace-Temple), and not everyone can come to the game because your gym is so stinkin old and tiny... that's a funding issue. If money wasn't a problem they would have a new one built.

CCS has a tiny gym. They can't host tournaments in there (which in turn makes them lose money) because they don't have the funds to build a new one.

So because people aren't happy with 1A privates, we should make everyone leave?

The key word is most, but it is generally wrong. There are many private schools that STRUGGLE to stay on top of their budget. The super privates (BA, McCallie etc) are the exception.

There are many private schools (we'll use Grace and CCS basketball) that don't have adequate facilities. When you play a rivalry game (Grace-Temple), and not everyone can come to the game because your gym is so stinkin old and tiny... that's a funding issue. If money wasn't a problem they would have a new one built.

CCS has a tiny gym. They can't host tournaments in there (which in turn makes them lose money) because they don't have the funds to build a new one.

We are talking about football where these poor small 1A private schools ( you call them) have won 6 out of the last 7 state championships.

We are talking about football where these poor small 1A private schools ( you call them) have won 6 out of the last 7 state championships.

You have mentioned this fact several times on these boards. It is a fact; however, you seem to imply that "small 1A private schools" are one big entity. In fact, no single 1A private has dominated those championships. In those seven seasons, only CPA has been a multiple winner (2000 and 2002). If you enlarge your sample group back a little to ten years (1997-2006) you will find that Trousdale County has won three titles (1997, 1998, 2005) during that span.

In stating the obvious -- "small 1A private schools have won 6 out of the last 7 state championships" -- you leave out the fact that this represents five different schools from three different parts of the state. It is not like one private school has dominated the class A state championships over the last 7 to 10 years. Certainly Jackson Christian and Friendship Christian (last year's two participants and the only ones still playing at the class A level) have not been dominant over that period of time. Successful, yes, but dominant, no. (I mean no disrespect to JCS or FCS.)

I'm not sure if you see any of this as relevant, but it is pertinent to the discussion IMHO.

Edited by supersteve17

There aren't a lot of private school football teams in 1A, 2A and 3A but there a lot of good to very good ones from those groups, few bad teams-and most of those are in their early years and still building. Compare that to 1A, 2A and 3A publics, and especially when most of them compete against the 1A, 2A and 3A privates. There are exceptions, Fulton, Austin-East, Alcoa, probably 20 more could be named but out of around 180 are there really that many exceptions?