Positive messages to William Blount Coaches

theDL

Gov-Man good post.

David and Karla Horton moved to Maryville from Knoxville. They live in Cross Creek IN Maryville. The Burnette's did the same thing. They live in Knight's Bridge IN Maryville.

Didn't Reese McMahan live in the Heritage zone and go to W.B.?

Didn't Cait McMahan live in the Maryville City limits and go to Heritage?

Doesn't T.J. Franklin 3A Mr. Football Lineman finalist from Knox Catholic still live in Maryville?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gov-Man good post.

David and Karla Horton moved to Maryville from Knoxville. They live in Cross Creek IN Maryville. The Burnette's did the same thing. They live in Knight's Bridge IN Maryville.

Doesn't T.J. Franklin 3A Mr. Football Lineman finalist from Knox Catholic still live in Maryville?

Not sure about where the Macs were living when Reese went to WB. The thing about Heritage/WB zones is that a kid in one zone can go to the other school with the permission of the Administration of the other school. At least that is how i understand it. I do know that it is getting tougher to get in to WB if you don't live in the WB zone because of the overcrowded conditions.

As far as living in the City of Maryville ... as I now do ... it is still your choice to attend a county school if you wish ... but it still breaks down to whether its in Heritage zone or WB zone. You can live in the city and go to county school you're zoned for (no tuition or anything).

And off topic a little I guess ... why did TJ go to Catholic?

Not sure about where the Macs were living when Reese went to WB. The thing about Heritage/WB zones is that a kid in one zone can go to the other school with the permission of the Administration of the other school. At least that is how i understand it. I do know that it is getting tougher to get in to WB if you don't live in the WB zone because of the overcrowded conditions.

As far as living in the City of Maryville ... as I now do ... it is still your choice to attend a county school if you wish ... but it still breaks down to whether its in Heritage zone or WB zone. You can live in the city and go to county school you're zoned for (no tuition or anything).

I'm pleased that the Administration let Reese play for his dad at W.B.

GovMan I'm glad you have a choice to send your kids wherever they and you want them to go. A lot Blount County people don't think anyone should have a choice.

T.J., I think, went for religious reasons.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Soooooo.....where are they going to go to school next year? :thumb:

Gov-Man good post.

Fair enough. That is fine. As I said, winning creates such movement. The best in this area will play for Maryville and Alcoa the majority of the time and that is fine. I have no problem with the set up. I am happy for Maryville and somewhat happy for Alcoa. What bothers me is when Maryville fans (a few, not many) want to beat WB down and say their seasons are terrible because they went 7-5 and lost in round 2 of the playoffs. 7 seasons out of 8 in Region 2-5A in the playoffs does not quantify a wasted, useless season. Agree??? WB will never be in the finals of the playoffs when they cannot consistently get the best players. Let's look at the coaches we have had recently. Phelps, Reid, and Meadows all have had state championships at other schools (Alcoa). Meadows is the only one (ironically) to stay around and try to do something. It is not as easy as some might think.

Fair enough. That is fine. As I said, winning creates such movement. The best in this area will play for Maryville and Alcoa the majority of the time and that is fine. I have no problem with the set up. I am happy for Maryville and somewhat happy for Alcoa. What bothers me is when Maryville fans (a few, not many) want to beat WB down and say their seasons are terrible because they went 7-5 and lost in round 2 of the playoffs. 7 seasons out of 8 in Region 2-5A in the playoffs does not quantify a wasted, useless season. Agree??? WB will never be in the finals of the playoffs when they cannot consistently get the best players. Let's look at the coaches we have had recently. Phelps, Reid, and Meadows all have had state championships at other schools (Alcoa). Meadows is the only one (ironically) to stay around and try to do something. It is not as easy as some might think.

Nice posts etcoach and Govman...as I said some of the Maryville folks(not all) are spoiled and look down on the county teams from their Ivory pressbox. They have a quality coach and coaching staff, plus the best of the area athletes want to play for Maryville ,that is a given. Coach Q and staff will not be there forever. Things change, coaches, classifications, records I just hope the Maryville fans who are always down on the county schools remember this some where down the road. To the Maryville fans who support the county schools, thank you. Good luck to the Rebels and Tornadoes this weekend.....

To the Maryville fans who support the county schools, thank you. Good luck to the Rebels and Tornadoes this weekend.....

VTEC, I can assure you that I pull for all county teams, unless we (Maryville) are playing them.

I pay county taxes and my kids go to city shools. So yes, I support them in more ways than one.

I would be willing to put a wager down that more people from Maryville pull for the county teams, than more county people pull for Maryville. I have friends who have told me that if Maryville was playing the Russian Army, they would learn a little Russian and cheer for them.

Another little token of that was in 1999 when both county teams beat Maryville and they had t-shirts printed up before the Heritage/W.B. game which read: "Regardless of who wins, we both beat Maryville."

Edited by STARSNBARS

Maybe you don't remember where WB was in the 80's and 90's when they were lucky to win 1 game. For WB to make the playoffs 7 out of the last 8 years is a good season for a school with no tradition. I know it is hard for a lot of the Maryville fans to understand, but playoffs are good for WB. The Maryville faithful can not understand because Maryville has won so many straight games and state championships. WB was able to play exciting games that came down to the wire week after week. The only team they cannot compete with is Maryville (who can?) I think it is remarkable that Maryville and Alcoa can win state championship after state championship and not even be challenged and, with that happening, that WB can win any games. We are all in the same county which is not that large. Another thing that SOME (not all) of the Maryville faithful will never understand is that almost all of the teams that are left in the playoffs from the semi-finals on are open-enrollment schools. That means you can go to that school regardless of where you live. You might have to pay a small tuition, but you do not have to pack up and move. The 2 guys that won Mr. Football for Maryville were not originally slated to go to Maryville (Maples to Heritage, Douglass in Knoxville). I'm not saying that it is cheating, because it is not. I'm also not saying that Maryville recruits players, because they do not have to. Winning creates automatic recruiting. What I am saying is that until WB is allowed to take students from outside their zone, they will never be able to compete for championships. No way...No how!!! By the way, good luck to George and company this week. Nevermind they do not need any...Rebels by 21.

WB is allowed to take students outside of their zone. Every single football player at MHS and Alcoa are allowed to go to either WB or Heritage. I remember when Greenback was getting rolling there were a couple a kids who could have gone to WB that starred for them. It is possible for some of them to cross the county line and go to WB. (The Loudon county agreement might be suspended because of having 1700 students in a 1300 student school) As far as Maples and Maryville. There have be Maples' at MHS since the '70's. I remember his uncle playing for the Bears when I was with the Cubs organization. I am going to say this on a positive note: After seeing MHS dismantle some pretty good teams lately. I think WB was alot better that I originally thought. I still have to put them behind Farragut, but just barely. I would put them in the top ten for the Knoxville metro area and close to the top five.

Edited by Red Rebels

VTEC, I can assure you that I pull for all county teams, unless we (Maryville) are playing them.

I pay county taxes and my kids go to city shools. So yes, I support them in more ways than one.

I would be willing to put a wager down that more people from Maryville pull for the county teams, than more county people pull for Maryville. I have friends who have told me that if Maryville was playing the Russian Army, they would learn a little Russian and cheer for them.

Another little token of that was in 1999 when both county teams beat Maryville and they had t-shirts printed up before the Heritage/W.B. game which read: "Regardless of who wins, we both beat Maryville."

Stars I didn't include you in the "some Maryville fans." I have a feeling that most of the Rebel fans who disc the county schools are somewhat younger than you and I(well at least me, since WB didn't exist when I was in high school)

Wouldn't you get a shirt printed once every 50 years?

Case in point Stars...

They definitely lived in the city.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are special exceptions that can be made if your parent works at a particular school...Cait could have gone to WB with no questions asked even though she is closer to Heritage. However, Heritage girls basketball has a stronger winning tradition and so she was a Moutaineer. Same reason that kids choose to go to Maryville for football when they have other available options. I would never fault Cait for her decision, and I'm really proud to see her as a Lady Vol now. Classic example.