DB struggles early - pre season expectations to high?

roundballjunkie

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say wait til after the Arby's. The Indians obviously have superior talent compared to 75% of the Big 9. That fact is evident with their shalacking of Volunteer on Tuesday and the inability of some Big 9 teams to beat 2A teams. Dobyns Bennett under Charlie Morgan is always around the top at the end of the regular season is usually one of the teams to advance to the regional. I don't see why it would be crazy to expect the same results this year. The talents there, the kids just have to want to win, which I believe they do.

They are also playing without their best player, Coty Sensabaugh, until at least the Arby's.

It is like trying to compare Duke last year without Redick. It will be two totally different teams when he comes back. Coty is a defensive stopper, the leading scorer on the team, and the catalyst for everything. When he gets back this team will have Throp at the point with Sylvester and Sensabaugh at the wings. That will be REALLY tough to stop.

With that said, I think you have to wait until after the Arby's and until Coty gets back to full strength, then you can evaluate the team with preseason expectations in mind.

Im very suprised at the team. So far they haven't been very good at any faze of the game. Rebounding, foul shots, defense, blocking out, way to many fouls, their just not doing anything very well at this point. Their nowhere near the team they were at the end of last year. And they should be better, even this early in the season. With 4 returning starters they should be on it right out of the gate. I thought they might be one of the teams to make it to state this year but that looks unlikely now. Just to many problems to fix. Everybody says Morgan is the real deal and maybe he can bring them around. But then again, if he's the real deal why doesn't he have them ready to play now?

Im very suprised at the team. So far they haven't been very good at any faze of the game. Rebounding, foul shots, defense, blocking out, way to many fouls, their just not doing anything very well at this point. Their nowhere near the team they were at the end of last year. And they should be better, even this early in the season. With 4 returning starters they should be on it right out of the gate. I thought they might be one of the teams to make it to state this year but that looks unlikely now. Just to many problems to fix. Everybody says Morgan is the real deal and maybe he can bring them around. But then again, if he's the real deal why doesn't he have them ready to play now?

I really believe the loss of Coty Sensabaugh has hurt them a lot more than anyone wants to admit. When you lose your leading scorer that happens. Charlie's offense was undoubtedly designed to get him the ball and when he got hurt in football all that had to be scrapped and sorta start over from scratch. It is hoped he can be back sometime around the Arby's, but I wonder if he will be anywhere close to being back to normal until sometime in January. Physical therapy takes time to get you back to full playing speed. In the meantime they probably just have to experiment with combinations to get the right mix into their games at the right time.

I see your point Waco, with them picking up from where they left off, but you gotta understand it's not that simple with high school athletes because they play more than one sport. Many of the players played baseball all summer, Throp and Sylvester are just now getting back into basketball shape from football season, and the rest of the team is just now getting accustomed to playing with those guys. The chemistry will come around and this team will be alright.

DB started out slow last year. Of course every game was on the road til mid Jan and injuries hurt them. Look where they ended up @. Remember SH beat em by 30 with a small bench. Then beat SH @ DB with a healthy team. Of course it is harder to win on the road and it is proven.

What are you talking about? They won 10 of their first 11 games last year ON THE ROAD!! The Indians played with a lot of emotion last year. They had more to prove because as I remember they were labeled as the “worst DB squad in years” by some of the same people that are posting on this thread.

Edited by Cap1