TSSAA Officials

WoodenFan

Being a ref is a THANKLESS job indeed. Yes officials miss calls, as said on this thread, just like players miss shots. Most officials do everything they can to do it right, but even then there are going to be mistakes. I was an official back several years ago, I now do radio. One thing about is these guys have to make a split second call, trust me it is not easy. Most of the refs in our area try to be as good as they can be, although some I think try harder than others. It is a hard job, which gets harder every year, as the speed of the game gets faster it seems every season.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a ref is a THANKLESS job indeed. Yes officials miss calls, as said on this thread, just like players miss shots. Most officials do everything they can to do it right, but even then there are going to be mistakes. I was an official back several years ago, I now do radio. One thing about is these guys have to make a split second call, trust me it is not easy. Most of the refs in our area try to be as good as they can be, although some I think try harder than others. It is a hard job, which gets harder every year, as the speed of the game gets faster it seems every season.

My three year old sister can tell the difference between 5 and 6 <_<..... I'm not saying all referees are terrible just saying that , those few in particular were god AWFUL....

They are as bad as ever. I have seen games in the past to where they appear to call totally for one team or another and have an impact on who wins or loses. Now I see more that they are making calls the affect momentum, and in doing so, affect the outcome of the game, if any of that makes sense.

And how come the 2 closest referees to the call cannot make it. The one that is the greatest distance from the call always makes the call. Must have x-ray vision to see through 6 players to see who hacked who. :thumb:

In a game at our gym against Red Boling Springs, their coach was late sending a player to the scorer’s table and play had started. He only had 4 girls on the floor. So he grabbed one off the bench and sent her directly in. No one ever said anything. :D

The team who wins at state very well could be the one that makes the right adjustments based on the way the officials are calling on that particular night. There is no consistency at all. <_<

The first 4 threads that I read tonight were about how bad the refs were. I just came from a game tonight where Middle Tenn. Christian School girls attempted 33 foul shots and Van Buren girls shot 7. The refs missed another one and one or it could've been 35 to 7. Van Buren girls lost the game but come on, 33 to 7 foul shots? On two different occasions VB was called for a hot spot violation for catching the ball on the post, making a move in the paint and shooting. Both were waived off. Whats up with the officiating? Anyone else got gripes about the refs?

You think thats bad, last year at the Unicoi Co. @ Unaka boys game, (@ Unaka) Unicoi went 27 for 32 from the free throw line. Unaka went 0 for 0 and still only lost by 6....... No home court advantage here!

I have seen some really bad ref's in both AAU and HS ball, BUT... it is easy for us to say when we are sitting in the stands where we can see everything from a different vantage point. It is like I say to my daughter... Didn't you see... 'blah blah blah,' and she says... "HELLO... I'm on the floor... NO... I didn't see that wide open lane," etc... I think the same holds true for Refs. From what I have seen this year... the ref's are better. If they make a bad call... they'll make up for it. They are 'human' and cannot see everything. Women's basketball has become a full contact sport. My daughter has had a broken ankle, broken nose, and concussion on the court (during AAU). If you notice, they are trying to get control of games early, to alleviate this kind of contact. While I hate it when refs are extremely whistle happy... I understand it. They have seen many more situations that got out of hand than any of us. Kudos to the guys on the court helping to keep our kids injury free. I couldn't take the abuse... or, be impartial with a hostile ref abusive crowd. To the folks that complain... get out there, sign-up and do it yourself. I think you'll earn new respect.

I think the officials are a product of the Association they belong to. At a recent tournament in Columbia and at that same tournament last year, I have never seen officials more in position and more considerate of who they officiate with. It made the game be played by the players and no one even knew the officials were around. The games were under control with no excess physical play.

In the past few years I have seen some associations interpret the physical part of the game to the extreme and thats where someone will get hurt. The officials can be trained and taught so that Offficiating will be more consistant. There should be a way to grade officials. Some Associations have officials they know are not consistant and will not take the time to work with them. It may be that it is a shortage of officials but I have been told that it is not the case.

Nothing makes the game be more professional looking than these Officials doing their job as they know what they are doing.

The Marion vs Whitwell game was terrible. I have never seen three officials with less of a clue. What was a walk on one play was not on the next. There was a play near the end of the game where there was a jump ball and the officials didn't agree on whose ball it was. They eventually went by majority vote, I think. I have seen several games where there seemed to be a weak link in the crew (like he was being trained). The main problem I have seen is that you don't have consistency on calls. One ref will call a tight game the other will let things go, what is tied up (jump ball) on one play is a foul on the very next one. I really think the TSSAA is having trouble getting/keeping experienced officials and that isn't hard to believe since it has to be one of the more unfulfilling jobs around.

In The Marion and Whitwell game the officials did exactly what they were suppose to do with the jump ball with 2 seconds left. Marion has just tied up the ball and recieved the alternate possession. The table does not immediately change the direction of the possession arrow. Good defense by Whitwell resulted in another tie up on the Marion inbounds play. Things happened very fast. The table had not chaged the possession arrow yet and was showing possesion belonging to Marion. Had the official not stepped in and corrected the error, Marion would have received the ball again. When the ball is tied up, the ref is to look at the table which has the responsibility of keeping the possession arrow. The ref in this case caught the error and made the correct adjustment. The refs did a good job. Marion had 21 fouls while Whitell had 20. Whitwell shot 36 free throws while Marion shot 25. The refs did their job and allowed two great players, Thomas and Kilgore, to show their abilities and heart.

I've heard this year that the refs have been told to look closer at two areas, charging and hand checking. I've notice a lot more charging calls this year.

Up here on my end of the state, a friend of mine who is a TSSAA ref said that the way they were recently instructed, in order to draw a charge, you have to be completely set and still well before the contact.

I have watched about 10 games so far, and saw exactly 1 charging call.

The calls/no-calls that I have the most problem with are pushing/shoving in the paint, and refs that won't blow the whistle on a jump-ball until the wrestling match is over. These are the ones that lead to players getting hurt, rough play, and games/tempers getting out-of-hand.

Last fri. night at the West Greene, Chuckey-Doak boys game the refs called a foul on a WG player the coach made a sub because of his third foul in second quarter and they the press box at CD did not know who the refs called it on then the refs could not remember who they called it on either and called it on a guy that has not played all year long.