TSSAA Officials

WoodenFan

You shouldn't complain about the refs.... Especially if you have never actually tried to call a ball game. Its tough. Besides, if you were good enough, you wouldn't let the refs change the outcome of the game.

When the other teams shoots 33 foul shots and you only shoot 7, it is hard for the refs not to change the outcome of the game. Van Buren made more field goals, more three point goals, had more rebounds, and created more turnovers. The only stat that they lost was free throws made. This was the reason that MTCS scored more points and won a close contest. We also had a girl pushed to the floor and tear her ACL. The call on that play was a walk. Not blaming MTCS, their girls played hard and within the parameters that the refs were allowing them. Just wish the rules would have been the same on both ends of the court. I have called ballgames and agree it is a hard and unappreciated job. That being said, it doesn't excuse a horribly called game.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like one team played defense and one team didn't. Just an opinion. I wasn't there.

Coltsrule?? Indianapolis Colts?? If so, you should know about not playing defense :) Just kidding...You have an interesting take on the game, however. 1. You were not there, 2. I'm not sure that you know what the final score was, and 3. How can you tell that one team played defense and one team did not?

I think that I saw one of the single worst calls I have ever seen. It happened last night in the Millington vs ECS Boys Basketball game at ECS. A Millington player has a breakaway layup and the ECS Defender clearly grabbed the Millington players arm causing him to miss the layup. The official was right on the play and simply swallowed his whistle. It was atrociously, so much so that even the home crowd was stunned.

This was a seasoned offical as well. He has been officiating games for atleast the last 15 years.

Yes...this is the same person who posted that I thought the refs were better this year. After watching the Brentwood Academy vs. David Lipscomb game earlier this week... I have to say I am eating my words. I have to admit that two of the three refs really tried to make up for the bad calls of one ref throughout the game. Rarely, have I seen ref's calls truly change the game... I think these two teams could play together repeatedly and come down to the wire everytime. I hate to see a victory stung for any team with a bad referree. I still stand by 99% of the refs out there running the court all week. I just have to say I am eating my words from my earlier post.

Crazy Call 1....Tuesday night Gordonsville @ Merrol.Hyde....Girls game opening tip-off.Gordonsville gets the tip...goes the wrong way... shoot basket in wrong goal...MH throws it in starts the wrong way... MH coach gets the officals attition..ref calls TO,,,the refs were laughing and scratching their head :D Crazy Call 2....same game... MH player drives to basket... walks..loses ball...stummbles and falls into Gville player....Ref next to play makes the propper call...ref 25ft away calls a block on Gville...REFs huddle..... MH player shoots a 1 and 1 :lol:

It is a sad day when you must be 20 points better than the other team to improve your chances of a win in case the refs decide to get involved.

Should the refs not be reprimanded for making too many bad calls?

Everyone is afraid to call their hand. You know why? There is another game down the road and paybacks are HE....!!!

Should TSSAA not police the refs? It's all about the money.

If the refs beat you, you should have made less mistakes and been more ready to let them call however they please. If the refs get into the game change your game strategy. It's not an option but a necessity!!!!!!!!!

If the refs beat you, you should have made less mistakes and been more ready to let them call however they please. If the refs get into the game change your game strategy. It's not an option but a necessity!!!!!!!!!

I've seen too many games where one team was playing very aggressive while the other team was not. Even though both teams were playing pretty clean, the refs always tend to pick a side. The only call that I have a problem with on the high school level is the block/charge. This call seems to fluctuate by the minute, and what was a charge 2 minutes ago is now a blocking foul and vice versa.

Coaches should realize by now that you are not just playing against the other team you are also playing against the ref. No game is called perfectly by the refs (or the fans either), but it's just something that has to be overcome. Like Blink said, you might just have to change your game strategy, or have a very deep bench.

It is a sad day when you must be 20 points better than the other team to improve your chances of a win in case the refs decide to get involved.

Should the refs not be reprimanded for making too many bad calls?

Everyone is afraid to call their hand. You know why? There is another game down the road and paybacks are HE....!!!

Should TSSAA not police the refs? It's all about the money.

Unless someone can refute this I don't believe the Tssaa has much to do with officiating unless there is something flagerant. Officials are guided by the officials association for the district involved.

Two years ago the officiating really go bad because many of the new officials made calls that were not substantiated and go the older officals in trouble. This year the professionalism of the officials has gotten better and they act as if they know what they are doing.

Why don't you guys quit your bitching and take a ref class and put on the stripes. Its easy to be a referee from the bleachers, but try to be one from the court - its a little bit harder.

As a TSSAA referee, I can tell you that I could care less one bit about what all you armchair referees in the bleachers call or yell. I've been called it all, and don't really care. I call what I see, not what you see from the bleachers. You want a say about what's going on on the court - put on a referees uniform. We don't see it all, but that's why there's three of us on the court. You can't watch all 10 players at one time.

And keep in mind. The refs don't even see the same game as you do. They are the only unbiased people in the entire gymnasium. As a fan, you're either biased towards your children, or towards your team. As a player, you're biased towards your team, and as a coach you're biased towards your team. There's nobody else left in the gym who isn't biased - except the referees.

Do you scream at the referees when your son hammers another player and the ref didn't blow the whistle? Do you scream at the ref when the other team knocks the ball out of bounds off of your son's foot, but gives it back to your son's team. Do you yell and scream in your living room when your watching Colorado State playSan Jose State, probably not - because you're not biased towards one team or the other, its just basketball. But put yourself into a gymnasium with your son's or daughter's team and you see an entirely different game.

Do we get it right all the time. Absolutely not. Are all refs great refs - probably not. Foul recognition is the determining factor, in my opinion, as to what makes a good ref. Once you've done it for a while, you have a good idea of what to look for. Each referee is going to have variations in the quickness of 10 seconds over the half court line, or distance between playeers to get a 5 count. But referees also adjust calling on a game by game basis. Two HS power teams with blue chip players should have a game called tighter than a JV game involving freshmen. And of course you always find quality differences in referees just as you find quality differences in basketball players, coaches and fans.

Just remember, we don't see the same game as you do - and its not that we don't see the same game, its that you can't.

Edited by oknative

Coaches should realize by now that you are not just playing against the other team you are also playing against the ref. No game is called perfectly by the refs (or the fans either), but it's just something that has to be overcome. Like Blink said, you might just have to change your game strategy, or have a very deep bench.

Clearly no team is playing againsy the refs. But the refs can be factors. Teams may have to adjust their play for referee calling style, but if they don't thats poor coaching, not poor refereeing.

Officiating has improved the last couple of years. But I notice at least once or twice a year there is a game called so lopsided that there is no way it is on accident. Had not seen it this year and hope I don't. I am guessing that jump ball is a point of emphasis this year. Seen jump ball called when only one person has control of the ball. Seen a lot of them this year. Then the same game four people tackled one from the other team and you couldn't even see the ball and had a very delayed call. I don't mind missed calls, will happen, I hate the open court muggings that are obvious that don't get called.

Seen a five second call where ball handler drove down and popped back out, defender wasn't within 10ft of ball. Next play other team had ball just past half court, defender was within arms reach, and refs never counted. Everyone was in shock.

Overall they are improving, but there are always those couple that when you see them you know the game is going to be poorly reffed, or going to go against you.