It's only fair that I mention this...

coachgat

Congratulations on a great start to what looks a lot like a very successful upcoming season. Remember some earlier advice- play it close to the vest. Parents can be a coach's worse nightmare, or they can be one of a coach's greatest asset if he doesn't alienate them unneccessarily. I hope it doesn't happen, but if your team suffers any downturn, some parents might use some totally unrelated comment to try and get their own agendas moving and causing all kinds of strife. Be careful. :thumb:

hedge, I remember. Don't get me wrong. I have some good parents and I have an open door policy with them. I love where I am and the people I work with.

Sounds to me like you are doing fine.

I had a parent tell me one time in AAU ball that their kid was not playing enough. She was sitting out an average of 6 minutes a game and we had played 10 games.

Just remember, I am the only parent that actually knows more than any coach. Ha ha. :thumb:

lol, I'll remember that!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hedge, I remember. Don't get me wrong. I have some good parents and I have an open door policy with them. I love where I am and the people I work with.

lol, I'll remember that!

Coach good luck keep putting in the time and effort and good things will happen but i would not mention any problems or disguss much on here i promise it will be held against you if something ever comes up,i understand you love your profession but discussions on this computer could come back to haunt you good luck rest of season.

lol, I'll remember that!

Hey Coach, I think it's great that you get on CoachT and talk about your girls. That is what this whole process is all about, Helping the girls and getting them exposure. It's great that you get on hear and express your pride in your team. You have a fine young team and I wish you and your entire team the best this year. Keep it going. At least until you run into my team. LOL

Edited by RARip

Hey Coach, I think it's great that you get on CoachT and talk about your girls. That is what this whole process is all about, Helping the girls and getting them exposure. It's great that you get on hear and express your pride in your team. You have a fine young team and I wish you and your entire team the best this year. Keep it going. At least until you run into my team. LOL

LOL, thanks.

Congratulations... I think COMMUNICATION should be included in all coaching classes. Whether you "talk" about it here on CoachT is entirely up to you. But, in my opinion, HONEST COMMUNICATION with players AND parents is the best way to encourage your team. It only takes ONE mis-spoken word that ONE player or parent isn't included in to destroy your entire team. Good luck for the season! :thumb:

If I was your AD I would take away your coachT pass word. I agree with Gueen Bee on this one, you have crossed aline about discussing a parents confidential communication in public. Doesn't matter that you didn't use the name, how hard is it to figure out since you told everyone that she leads the team in shot attempts.

I have no idea who you are, but I assume that you are a young coach in your first job. Man, this stuff will kill you. Parents are allowed to have input. They are also allowed to have an expectation of privacy when they talk to about their child. You have now lost this parents trust, and embareesed one of your players. That is wrong.

If I were the AD you would issue a public apology and at the least serve a game suspension. These are young girls. You crossed aline coach, do the right thing.,

If I was your AD I would take away your coachT pass word. I agree with Gueen Bee on this one, you have crossed aline about discussing a parents confidential communication in public. Doesn't matter that you didn't use the name, how hard is it to figure out since you told everyone that she leads the team in shot attempts.

I have no idea who you are, but I assume that you are a young coach in your first job. Man, this stuff will kill you. Parents are allowed to have input. They are also allowed to have an expectation of privacy when they talk to about their child. You have now lost this parents trust, and embareesed one of your players. That is wrong.

If I were the AD you would issue a public apology and at the least serve a game suspension. These are young girls. You crossed aline coach, do the right thing.,

I really love this coach's enthusiasm for his team but his posts about this girl and her parents have probably already opened a Pandora's box he may not be able to put a lid on. Conversations about a player and her parents, if necessary, should not be in an open forum...

I agree Barb. This is probably a fine young coach that has his heart in the right place, he just lacks experience in these type of situations. Coaching is hard. Young guys like this that probably never played in college, or were asst.'s to really good programs, jump in the deep end not knowing how to swim. This guy seems like a good guy. I hope his ad or a more experienced coach takes him to the side for a little talk.

you are entitled to your opinion, but what I've done is not unprofessional. I mentioned no names. I've had this conversation about this before with someone about me talking about my team. I'm giving information out that could help some parent not make the mistakes that this parent is making. It hurts the kid by being in his/her ear which will result in the kid not playing in the designed system of the coach and hurting themselves. Hopefully, most would understand the reason behind this post. If she can get herself together, she can really light it up but as long as her father keeps getting in her ear, unfortunately, she will struggle. Pressure will burst a pipe, I can imagine what she is feeling. Parents, let the coaches coach whether you like them or not.

In your first post you mentioned a players name...and in your second post you mentioned the fact that the daughter of the parent that complained was leading the team in shot attempts...I don't even know what team you coach...but if I looked at your stats...I bet I could figure out who both girls are...and if you don't think it's unprofessional to get on a public forum and talk about your conversations with parents...players...whoever for that matter...then you're in for a long, hard fall...

I'm going to assume that you're a young coach...and that this is your first high school coaching experience...I LOVE your enthusiasm for your team...it's exactly what every kid needs...and I do appreciate you being so proud of them...BUT...let me give you this heads up...High school girls are vicious...but no more than the parents of those high school girls...

I know that there are other coaches on here...know quite a few of them personally...but...no one else knows that they are coaches...or what school they coach at...and it's for a good reason...

I wish you the very best of luck...but please, please...listen to what others besides myself are telling you...If you're a plus member...and feel the need to vent...brag... whatever...message me...and it won't go any further....but please...don't do it on a public forum...

Well said QB. It is hard being a first time coach, particuarly if you never played or coached with a seasoned coach. X's and O's are the easy part. I would add that favoritism on a team will kill it.

Coach, find an older coach (maybe even from a different school) and develope a mentor relationship. Don't be afraid to admit that you have alot to learn.

There is no way this is really a coach. I can't imagine a high school coach getting on coacht and mentioning a player by name especially if his identity is known. Whether his comments are negative or positive.

If it is a coach?????

You are in trouble already. Trust me. It may not be fair, but these chickens are coming home to roost.