Black Horse final results

CoachDelgado

PinU46,

Interesting observation, certainly you don't think things are that baaaad do you? These guys all try their best, just some are better than others. Like watching an Elvis concert after attending Madonna concert. One is for real, the other is for show.

TCB

Edited by hoosierdad

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PinU46,

Interesting observation, certainly you don't think things are that baaaad do you? These guys all try their best, just some are better than others. Like watching an Elvis concert after attending Madonna concert. One is for real, the other is for show.

TCB

Hoosierdad,

Don't knock madonna!!!!! Even though they may be fake (just for show) they look good to me!!!!!!!!!!

Look we all know who you are talking about so why don't you just call them out by their name?

Keep one thing in mind, while they may not be good officials, try to call all CBHS matches, are graduates of CBHS, etc... they do get paid as much as the good officials.

Sorry folks, get your facts straight. Only one of the officials was from CBHS this past weekend and he properly excused himself and would not officiate any Brothers matches.....

Nobody in Memphis can sugarcoat the fact that most of the officials refing the matches that are from the local area are well below par when it comes to ability and knowledge of the rules. It is completely ridiculus! Why do you think there aren't any very prestigous tournamnets in the Memphis area. There is the Blackhorse, which is an alright tournament but everything else 1. McCallie Invitational 2. State Duals 3. State individuals 4. Father Ryan Invitational 5. MBA Duals 6. Catholic Invitational are all held out of west Tn for obvious reasons, the lack of qualified teams and refs. Don't get me wrong Memphis has a few very good individual wrestlers but the area lacks a consistently good team that can compete with other teams in dual matches (in either Division) causes most of Memphis wrestling to not be at par with other teams in the state. This could be caused by lack of very qualified coaches that other regions like Nashville and Chattanooga have or it could be from there not being a huge interest in wrestling in that area. But, the fact remains the west TN wrestling as of right now is subpar to that of others in the state.

Nobody in Memphis can sugarcoat the fact that most of the officials refing the matches that are from the local area are well below par when it comes to ability and knowledge of the rules. It is completely ridiculus! Why do you think there aren't any very prestigous tournamnets in the Memphis area. There is the Blackhorse, which is an alright tournament but everything else 1. McCallie Invitational 2. State Duals 3. State individuals 4. Father Ryan Invitational 5. MBA Duals 6. Catholic Invitational are all held out of west Tn for obvious reasons, the lack of qualified teams and refs. Don't get me wrong Memphis has a few very good individual wrestlers but the area lacks a consistently good team that can compete with other teams in dual matches (in either Division) causes most of Memphis wrestling to not be at par with other teams in the state. This could be caused by lack of very qualified coaches that other regions like Nashville and Chattanooga have or it could be from there not being a huge interest in wrestling in that area. But, the fact remains the west TN wrestling as of right now is subpar to that of others in the state.

LOL....i thought that the McCallie, Father ryan, MBA, Catholic were held out of Memphis because that is where the schools are located......not because of the refs.......??? :thumb:

QUOTE BY SMWWREST... "SBA is correct in mentioning affiliations. The rumor at the tournament was that the MBA referee was also an MBA graduate. If this is correct and a referee from out of the area was needed, finding one with no affiliation would have been much smarter. I know many referees that will not judge matches for their alma mater or where their kids attend school, etc. Several times I did the same as a wrestling official."

What a joke! The lack of quality referees in Memphis is largely due to the fact that the leadership of the officials' association, much like the leadership of the Memphis local government, is run by petty, self-serving individuals who look after each other at the expense of its constituents. It is widely known and understood that most of the officials in Memphis are tragically incompetent, which explains why the organizers of the Black Horse Tournament had to bring in out-of-town officials and which further explains why no state-level tournament has ever or probably will ever be held on the left side. Heck, like the organizers of the Black Horse Tournament, the TSSAA would have to pay to bring in officials from all across the state (and we all know that the TSSAA does not like to pay, it likes to get paid).

As to the rumor surrounding the MBA official, I understand that the Nashville referee (there was also one brought in all the way from Chattanooga – pitiful isn’t it) imported to offset the incompetence of the local officials was indeed a graduate of MBA. However, for someone from Memphis to question or even doubt his objectivity is obscenely hypocritical because there were several Memphis referees at the Black Horse Tournament who were graduates of CBHS! In fact, during finals, at least one of the brothers in black and white managed to get assigned to every mat where a brother in purple and gold was wrestling.

1993 AAA State Duals held at Germantown. David Scott and I reffed the finals. McCallie defeated Bradley.

1995 A-AA State Duals held at Memphis Catholic. David Marking and I reffed the finals. Brentwood Academy defeated Greeneville.

Edited by CoachDelgado

Since this thread has gotten boring, allow me to throw my two cents in since I am the one who invited the officials.

I have known both officials for a number of years from working the Southern Champions Wrestling Camps, the State Tournament, at NCAA tournaments, and other wrestling events. Both expressed interest and I thought it would add something to the tournament for our kids in this to have exposure to some other referres. I also thought all the officials would enjoy working with some new guys and share ideas.

There was no "conspiracy" to to either help any team or to belittle the Memphis officials. I was satisfied with all the officials and would invite all of them back next year.

Since this thread has gotten boring, allow me to throw my two cents in since I am the one who invited the officials.

I have known both officials for a number of years from working the Southern Champions Wrestling Camps, the State Tournament, at NCAA tournaments, and other wrestling events. Both expressed interest and I thought it would add something to the tournament for our kids in this to have exposure to some other referres. I also thought all the officials would enjoy working with some new guys and share ideas.

There was no "conspiracy" to to either help any team or to belittle the Memphis officials. I was satisfied with all the officials and would invite all of them back next year.

Well said Coach. If you read some of the comments on here, you will notice there is some tongue and cheek, however, when the affiliation comment came up insinuating MBA has their own ref, this post took off in a new direction. Both officials are well qualified to call anything in this state. My hope was that the Memphis Ref's would indulge in conversation asking pertinent questions in order to better themselves. As I said before, most all Ref's are affiliated with a school because they wrestled and graduated from a local high school. I felt it was out of line to talk about a Ref from Nashville and called an MBA Ref when the referee situation is not on par with the rest of the state. I can only hope the 2 Ref's, 1 from Nashville and 1 from Chattanooga were a good addition to your tournament. I know some coaches in Memphis did not like it because they can not control these Ref's, and there in lies the problem!!!

TCB

P.S. Great tournament Coach Holmes