TSSAA officals

billybobbasketball

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who, the fans? Let's get real. There are always some bad calls in games. But they are human. they make mistakes for both teams.

DON'T EVEN START I'VE BEEN TO ENOUGH GAMES WITH THE SAME REFS TO KNOW THAT SOME OF THEM AREN'T WORTH THE STRIPES.

Who, the fans? Let's get real. There are always some bad calls in games. But they are human. they make mistakes for both teams.

SO YOU'RE A REF HUH?

Come on, human? Some of these guys shouldn't be allowed to call middle school ball, much less high school. They don't see anything, they just guess. They don't watch a players feet before calling a walk, they just "feel" as though its a walk. They don't watch the floor when the ball is in the air, they watch the ball to see if it goes in. I guess they don't think the players, coaches, or fans can see it going in. Has anyone explained to these guys what it means to have position on the floor? They love to call a blocking foul after someone runs over a set defender. And what is with the intentional fouls being called this year at the end of games? Of course if a team is down they will try to foul. Of course its intentional. But its stupid to call an intentional foul. Then they turn around and do not call anything when a kid gets his head taken off going to the basket. Some of these guys are a joke. And for the good refs out there, thank you for trying to keep these other guys in line. I hate that they have ruined the reputation of all refs, but until the TSSAA decides to train these guys better and start holding them responsible for the call they make, or don't make, then it will never change.

Come on, human? Some of these guys shouldn't be allowed to call middle school ball, much less high school. They don't see anything, they just guess. They don't watch a players feet before calling a walk, they just "feel" as though its a walk. They don't watch the floor when the ball is in the air, they watch the ball to see if it goes in. I guess they don't think the players, coaches, or fans can see it going in. Has anyone explained to these guys what it means to have position on the floor? They love to call a blocking foul after someone runs over a set defender. And what is with the intentional fouls being called this year at the end of games? Of course if a team is down they will try to foul. Of course its intentional. But its stupid to call an intentional foul. Then they turn around and do not call anything when a kid gets his head taken off going to the basket. Some of these guys are a joke. And for the good refs out there, thank you for trying to keep these other guys in line. I hate that they have ruined the reputation of all refs, but until the TSSAA decides to train these guys better and start holding them responsible for the call they make, or don't make, then it will never change.

So true about the blocking fouls..LOL..

I ref. Go ahead, rip us. Life happens, then you die. Bad calls happen. Look at my signature, I understand that. Good teams can overcome the bad calls. Why don't we have a thread about bad coaches (already done and done and overdone)... what about a "stupid fan" thread? Here's one for all you who like to holler out "THREE SECONDS!! THREE SECONDS!! THREE SECONDS YOU...

Can someone fully explain to me the Three Second Rule?

I understand what you hear in the stands is not nice but do not repeat it here in any form.

Edited by coach15

I agree that refs make bad calls. Theyre just like any other human, not always perfect. I know because I have made some bad ones too. I dont complain that much as I used too. I just get mad at officials for being lazy, careless, arrogant. But if you hustle and be respectful, I dont say much. The game is harder than it looks.

I agree that refs make bad calls. Theyre just like any other human, not always perfect. I know because I have made some bad ones too. I dont complain that much as I used too. I just get mad at officials for being lazy, careless, arrogant. But if you hustle and be respectful, I dont say much. The game is harder than it looks.

Ref jobs are harder than any to make everyone happy. You miss some you get some calls. I think by the whole they get most of the calls right. And i dont care about some fans that get mad for a ref making a right call. And i'm taking about something that goes not in our favor. I love basketball the only way i get mad at officiating is when the fouls are lopsided on the same team in both halfs. then i think that is just bad for the game because more than likely teams comit the same kind of fouls.

Being a current coach and former referee, I understand both sides. As a ref, it is very difficult to be perfect in all your calls. You are going to miss many during a night. But as it was stated before, if you hustle and are in position to make the calls, coaches will get over a bad call.

As a coach now, it is very difficult to keep my mouth shut when the Points of Emphasis articles are being ignored. When the state tells the coaches that shirt tales are to be kept in or the player will be replaced, or if a player impedes progress of play by delaying the game for touching the ball after a scored basket it is a warning for all infractions and the next one will be a Technical Foul, and the referees are not enforcing these, I do have a problem with that. Some associations are enforcing these, most are not. The Tri-Cities association have not enforced either in the last two weeks after playing in two tournaments up there. After asking an official last night, in another association, about delay of game warning for touching the ball after a made basket, his response was 'What are you talking about coach'? Obviously he was not going to enforce it. The other big problem I have is a block / charge no call. If a there is contact and bodies hit the floor, it is either a block or a charge. If I am teaching my players to stay in there for the contact, and there is a 'no call', my players are wondering why they are doing what their coach is telling them to do.

The referees do have a thankless job. I know, I've been there. If they make a bad call, oh well, they are human. They should at least hustle up and down the floor, and enforce the rules of the game though.