The First 5x State Champion

In Hoc Signo Vinces

If my information is correct Daniel Smith of Webb (1998-2002) was the first ever Tennessee 5 time state placer. Then the next year Lee Connel of McCallie (1999-2003) did it. This all occured after the split of public/private in the 1997-1998 school year.

Then the next year Leen and Ryan Scott did it each ending with 4 state championships.

Edited by CoachDelgado

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, when Doster cut to 112(after the Bradley Invitational which Baylor won) , Will Carson did in fact BEAT Jordan Leen in a challenge match at 103. Carson was a true 103 pounder(weighed about 100) and had been wrestling at 112 because Baylor did not have a 112 pounder that year.

Leen weighed about 94-95 lbs. and was wrestling 103. However, Carson had already weighed in at 112 for over half of his total matches and was not eligible to wrestle in the state at 103. The coaches used both Carson and Leen at 103 for the rest of the season and they did have one more challenge match and Leen won it 2-0. They only had 2 challenge matches and ended up 1-1. So for all of you trivia fans....Who was the only Baylor wrestler to beat Jordan Leen in a challenge match at Baylor? Answer....Will Carson.

I was pretty sure that this thread would eventually bring you out of retirement.

Actually, when Doster cut to 112(after the Bradley Invitational which Baylor won) , Will Carson did in fact BEAT Jordan Leen in a challenge match at 103. Carson was a true 103 pounder(weighed about 100) and had been wrestling at 112 because Baylor did not have a 112 pounder that year.

Leen weighed about 94-95 lbs. and was wrestling 103. However, Carson had already weighed in at 112 for over half of his total matches and was not eligible to wrestle in the state at 103. The coaches used both Carson and Leen at 103 for the rest of the season and they did have one more challenge match and Leen won it 2-0. They only had 2 challenge matches and ended up 1-1. So for all of you trivia fans....Who was the only Baylor wrestler to beat Jordan Leen in a challenge match at Baylor? Answer....Will Carson.

8th grader DID challenge upper classman and take spot ? Was this case inconsistent with other cases of this type? No dog in hunt. Just curious.

It seems obvious to all that the DII tournament is easier to place in thus we get kids placing in the state 4 times and I am now finding out that there are guys who have placed 5 times at state. Of course, they are all in DII. Weak to say the least. Can anyone tell me if there was ever a person who qualified for DI state tournament 5 times. I can't think of any. Help! If there is any.

It seems obvious to all that the DII tournament is easier to place in thus we get kids placing in the state 4 times and I am now finding out that there are guys who have placed 5 times at state. Of course, they are all in DII. Weak to say the least. Can anyone tell me if there was ever a person who qualified for DI state tournament 5 times. I can't think of any. Help! If there is any.

Markese Nelson of Oakhaven/Kirby should have. He was a state qualifier his 8th grade year, placed in state his freshman year, was ranked 1st in the state his sophomore year but was DQ'ed in the regional finals, and won state his junior and senior years.

You also need to keep in mind that it is more likely there will be more opportunities in DII because of the way the rules / schools are set-up. As I understand the rules the middle and high schools have to be on the same campus for the wrestler to be eligible for HS varsity competition as an 8th grader. Tell me how many DI schools are set-up this way? I know that a large number of the private schools are... hence more chances for it to occur.

Edited by WrestleSBA

sounds to me that the rules were written for the private schools to take advantage from. I would understand why, in many cases, the private schools may need to pull from their lower grades to fill a team. Obviously not so much with the most the schools mentioned here.

The transfer rules protect the coaches and have no other purpose, in my opinion.

Edited by texas23

Who knows for sure but there is a good chance Matt Keller could have won 6 State Championships. I have little doubt he could have won 103 as a 7th and 8th grader. As a freshman at 119 he majored 2 State Champions enroute to his 1st. He was/is a beast.

He's the best ever at Bradley and we've had a few good ones.

8th grader DID challenge upper classman and take spot ? Was this case inconsistent with other cases of this type? No dog in hunt. Just curious.

Yes 8th grader challenged but only after he had occupied the spot for 1st half of season and 8th grader was challenged by upper classman, not the other way around.