If It walks like a Duck

pujo

Your Alabama and Bear Byant analogy is somewhat flawed because there were no restrictions on scholarship limits so Byant could "stockpile" players and let them decide by "survival of the fittest" who would play. They could wear down opposition because the third string guy was as good as the first string guy. It's simply not the case in the overwhelming majority of high schools (public or private) especially in the smaller classes. On most high school sidelines, most of the kids are out there to be a part of something and to get to wear their jersey (or tie) to school on Friday. I still say most 1A-3A schools only play about 20 players or fewer when the game matters, rendering the effect of big numbers less important. 4A, 5A and the D2 schools are probably in a different situation.

The Ala. / Bear analogy is the same thing I said...wear them down... next player

just as good as the first.

I don't know what games you've been watching, if any, but at TC, most of

our guys have to play both ways, plus spec. teams. Some that we play, don't.

Fact.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ala. / Bear analogy is the same thing I said...wear them down... next player

Fact.

I don't really believe the analogy is the same. Bear's 3rd stringer's were as good as his first -- or at least as good as most people's first stringers. I do not know of a 1A, 2A or 3A school, public or private, that can say that.

I have watched a lot of HS football over the last 30 years or so. I've watched public and private, big and small. No doubt that having more good players is an advantage at any level. What I am saying is that most of the 1A-3A schools that boast 50-60 players only play about 20 players. In most years, the number would be smaller than that. If Team A is two-platooning and the guys that are in both platoons are equal, there is an advantage. If they are two-platooning, but Team B's one-platoon players are better, numbers matter very little. TC's one-platoon system did not hurt them at all when they played USJ's two-platoon system a few seasons ago in the state championship game.

Fact.

So do ours, so do all small schools...how is this a disadvantage?

I don't really believe the analogy is the same. Bear's 3rd stringer's were as good as his first -- or at least as good as most people's first stringers. I do not know of a 1A, 2A or 3A school, public or private, that can say that.

I have watched a lot of HS football over the last 30 years or so. I've watched public and private, big and small. No doubt that having more good players is an advantage at any level. What I am saying is that most of the 1A-3A schools that boast 50-60 players only play about 20 players. In most years, the number would be smaller than that. If Team A is two-platooning and the guys that are in both platoons are equal, there is an advantage. If they are two-platooning, but Team B's one-platoon players are better, numbers matter very little. TC's one-platoon system did not hurt them at all when they played USJ's two-platoon system a few seasons ago in the state championship game.

Ok, you're taking the Ala. thing too literal. I'm not saying HS teams have

3rd. strings as good as 1st. What I am saying is this: When you play a team

that has 50 players; they don't have to play both ways; they can use this to

wear you down. Does this always work? No. It didn't work for USJ against

TC in '98. TC that yr. was an exceptional 1A team; large, quick, well

conditioned. One of, if not the best they have ever had. USJ was not on that

level.

Year in / year out, all things being equal, the plays both ways team is at

a disadvantage & probably lose. TC has managed to get by with better

conditioning than most.

Trousdale has 30 boys out of an enrollment of around 400, the reason it is so low is because of the work ethic and dedication it takes to be a yellow jacket. At the private schools you have several more dedicated kids who are willing to do the necessary work. These 50 kids can't all be starters next season , but with alot of dedication ,they will be playing in the future. When any school has kids who start working at the jr high level, they can be pretty good players in a few years.

Ok, you're taking the Ala. thing too literal. I'm not saying HS teams have

3rd. strings as good as 1st. What I am saying is this: When you play a team

that has 50 players; they don't have to play both ways; they can use this to

wear you down. Does this always work? No. It didn't work for USJ against

TC in '98. TC that yr. was an exceptional 1A team; large, quick, well

conditioned. One of, if not the best they have ever had. USJ was not on that

level.

Year in / year out, all things being equal, the plays both ways team is at

a disadvantage & probably lose. TC has managed to get by with better

conditioning than most.

Look, I'm not trying to be too nitpicky but you are the one who brought up the Alabama analogy and then tried to defend it. I will agree that IF a team has enough players to two-platoon at a quality level, OBVIOUSLY that would be an advantage. There may be a very few 1A, 2A and 3A teams that can do that, but they are VERY FEW. Knox Fulton, a public 3A school, comes to mind as one team that was able to do pretty well with that this year. Alcoa, a public 2A school also did the same, I believe.

I will repeat, most 1A-3A (private or public) schools that have 50-60 players on the sidelines only play about 20 players or fewer any quality minutes. There may be some exceptions, but I would be willing to bet (if I were a betting man) that is not the rule. I have heard more than one high school coach say something like "give me 15 or 16 good players and I can compete at a high level."

Hey BC, how many kids did your team play this year out of the approximately 50 on the roster?

Look, I'm not trying to be too nitpicky but you are the one who brought up the Alabama analogy and then tried to defend it. I will agree that IF a team has enough players to two-platoon at a quality level, OBVIOUSLY that would be an advantage. There may be a very few 1A, 2A and 3A teams that can do that, but they are VERY FEW. Knox Fulton, a public 3A school, comes to mind as one team that was able to do pretty well with that this year. Alcoa, a public 2A school also did the same, I believe.

I will repeat, most 1A-3A (private or public) schools that have 50-60 players on the sidelines only play about 20 players or fewer any quality minutes. There may be some exceptions, but I would be willing to bet (if I were a betting man) that is not the rule. I have heard more than one high school coach say something like "give me 15 or 16 good players and I can compete at a high level."

Hey BC, how many kids did your team play this year out of the approximately 50 on the roster?

I'm glad you asked that Steve...I'll be glad to tell you. Without going into too much detail here is the number-- 20. And that includes subs and two sets of recievers. We had at least 7 guys going both ways at all times. On offense we had 4 or 5 (depending on the recievers who were in) returning starters...on Defense we had 3 or 4. All of them played both ways.

So I'm not sure where our depth went, but if Grunt or g-ville happen to see them I would appreciate it if they sent them back this way...

You are probably correct. I certainly don't claim to be a Benny Monroe expert. I just know what I have heard him say on more than one occasion in the past. And my point remains the same. I bet most teams with 50 plus players on the roster seldom, if ever, play more than 20-25 players when the outcome of a game is being decided. In class A or 2A I guess that number is closer to 14-16 players. My point is that having much beyond 30-35 players is window dressing.

Is this why some of the score are so lop-sided in the lower classification? By the time the 3rd string gets put in the 4th quarter, you're beyond the 50 players easily. If you don't have the numbers and having to stay with the first team, the score can climb against inferior competition.

Don't forget about the Practice. You got to develop players as well as allow the 1st team bangs on the practice squad. Otherwise the team strength will be cyclical.

It might come to a point that TSSAA needs to support eight-man team league for the lowest classification due to the lack of players.

I'm glad you asked that Steve...I'll be glad to tell you. Without going into too much detail here is the number-- 20. And that includes subs and two sets of recievers. We had at least 7 guys going both ways at all times. On offense we had 4 or 5 (depending on the recievers who were in) returning starters...on Defense we had 3 or 4. All of them played both ways.

So I'm not sure where our depth went, but if Grunt or g-ville happen to see them I would appreciate it if they sent them back this way...

I saw two of Boyd's Games this year and listened to others and I can tell you when they get a chance to play kids they do it. I know for a fact against Sequatchie and Upperman everyone on the roster played. Maybe they have good depth because they try to play everyone when they get a chance to and so those kids will stay out for football and not quit.