If It walks like a Duck

pujo

Oknative, you don't know me very well, I've been on this debate for several years. I'm not against Private Schools by any strecth of the imagionation. Ilove what they do, they do have advantages over rural 1a schools. As far as these open zoned and magnet schools,Ireally don't have a clue what you should do with them. They also have some advantages.Recruiting is not my gripe, its the amount of dedicated kids and parents at these two very different types of schools.

Pujo,

You keep saying that the small privates and small publics are 'very different'. Would you mind explaining the differences you percieve and which are advantages/disadvantages for each type of school? I contend that the small privates and small publics are actually very much alike.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pujo,

You keep saying that the small privates and small publics are 'very different'. Would you mind explaining the differences you percieve and which are advantages/disadvantages for each type of school? I contend that the small privates and small publics are actually very much alike.

Baldcoach, thats an easy one. First of all ,most 1a public schools are located in rural areas, most of them also have zones. And secondly,private school kids as a whole have parents who demand their kids excel. Several 1a private schools ,even with the 1.8 multiplier had more kids on their teams than Trousdale. Its really hard to find 40 dedicated kids in the small public schools ,even with the enrollment of 400.

This was posted on the football board by a Temple guy. You can call it whatever you want to ,but its a plan to draw atheletes to their school. I guess Hampton could run some articles in the local papers and fill everyone in on what their success has been for the last two seasons and that they are only one of two Blue Ribbon Schools in the state. Tell everyone they will be loaded next season, just need a few good men to have a great shot at winning the state. The only problem is ,these kids are zoned .Its a jab at recruiting and everyone knows it. Split UM

Other schools may do the same kind of stuff, but I've definately never saw it in this area. Ialso doubt any of the 1a public schools doing this sort of thing. Do you private guys know of any.

Pujo, as we both know, you could put a full page ad in the paper, but all you're

going to get are the kids that have to go there anyway. It quacks!

Pujo, as we both know, you could put a full page ad in the paper, but all you're

going to get are the kids that have to go there anyway. It quacks!

Grunt,you're exactly right,but when a successful private school does this same sort of thing in these urban areas ,it draws atheletes. When these kids get in these private schools,they either do their work or hit the door. We are two completely different creatures.

Oknative, you don't know me very well, I've been on this debate for several years. I'm not against Private Schools by any strecth of the imagionation. Ilove what they do, they do have advantages over rural 1a schools. As far as these open zoned and magnet schools,Ireally don't have a clue what you should do with them. They also have some advantages.Recruiting is not my gripe, its the amount of dedicated kids and parents at these two very different types of schools.

So your argument is that privates should be split because of the dedication of the parents? All this time I thought the arguments were recruiting, better paid coaches, 3" lush bermuda fields, and impressive weight rooms.

Okay, so what do you do with the public schools that have the same amount of dedicated parents as private schools? Split um??????

So if the percentage of dedicated parents create the unfair advantages, then why do you want to be arbitrary and pick public/private as the criteria for splitting. Shouldn't we survey parents about their dedication, and split schools apart based on that data. And don't think I'm being facetious here, I'm not. If that's the unfair advantage, then split the schools based on that factor, not the fact the when you look at the total, on average, privates have more dedicated parents than publics. Look at the real numbers of the advantage and split ALL the schools that have the "dedication" advantage. Because I guarantee there are public schools with parents who are just as dedicated as private school parents.

Taking privates away from the publics based on that public/private criteria, only allows the publics who have the "dedication" advantage to be that much more dominant against the publics who don't have the "dedication" advantage.

Edited by oknative

So your argument is that privates should be split because of the dedication of the parents? All this time I thought the arguments were recruiting, better paid coaches, 3" lush bermuda fields, and impressive weight rooms.

Okay, so what do you do with the public schools that have the same amount of dedicated parents as private schools? Split um??????

So if the percentage of dedicated parents create the unfair advantages, then why do you want to be arbitrary and pick public/private as the criteria for splitting. Shouldn't we survey parents about their dedication, and split schools apart based on that data. And don't think I'm being facetious here, I'm not. If that's the unfair advantage, then split the schools based on that factor, not the fact the when you look at the total, on average, privates have more dedicated parents than publics. Look at the real numbers of the advantage and split ALL the schools that have the "dedication" advantage. Because I guarantee there are public schools with parents who are just as dedicated as private school parents.

Taking privates away from the publics based on that public/private criteria, only allows the publics who have the "dedication" advantage to be that much more dominant against the publics who don't have the "dedication" advantage.

Pujo---did you stop to think about what you have done? You are upset that this was posted on a football board and you consider it advertising. Did you not think that when you posted this that kids wouldnt be on here reading it. So really you did the exact same thing that you are upset over. hmmm....

I think Lake Co said they had 22 players and FA had 60, seem like JCS had 50. You are not going to find the same amount of dedication in the different types of schools.. Someone on here said you can't seperate the rich from the poor and the blacks from the whites, but you can ,all you have to do is send um to private schools.

I think Lake Co said they had 22 players and FA had 60, seem like JCS had 50. You are not going to find the same amount of dedication in the different types of schools.. Someone on here said you can't seperate the rich from the poor and the blacks from the whites, but you can ,all you have to do is send um to private schools.

Why do the rual D1 A schools not have kids that wish to participate in athletics? What are they doing after school (hey we know they are all not working because there are not that many jobs in rual communities/their parents often travel for jobs) if they are not playing sports.

What I have seen is that rual D1 A girls basketball is vey good and the girls are dedicated and work to win, so what is wrong with the guys? Are you saying that they are just lazy?

Why do the rual D1 A schools not have kids that wish to participate in athletics? What are they doing after school (hey we know they are all not working because there are not that many jobs in rual communities/their parents often travel for jobs) if they are not playing sports.

What I have seen is that rual D1 A girls basketball is vey good and the girls are dedicated and work to win, so what is wrong with the guys? Are you saying that they are just lazy?

Truth is the coach and community make the difference. The good rural programs have a large participation just like the good small private ones. The poor programs don't...and neither do the poor performing small privates.

Watch out, Pujo likes to compare successful private programs like FCS and JCS with not-very-successful small publics. Notice he hasn't said how many kids TC had out this year, or Gordonsville, or South Pitt, or Smith County, or Alcoa, or Milan etc.

Truth is the coach and community make the difference. The good rural programs have a large participation just like the good small private ones. The poor programs don't...and neither do the poor performing small privates.

Watch out, Pujo likes to compare successful private programs like FCS and JCS with not-very-successful small publics. Notice he hasn't said how many kids TC had out this year, or Gordonsville, or South Pitt, or Smith County, or Alcoa, or Milan etc.

Wrong Baldcoach, I have used Trousdale as an example. For the last two seasons they have had around 30. Hampton has been fairly successful for the last two seasons, they have around 40, The better private schools with alot less enrollment have more kids playing. Its also my guess,they all attend the workout programs. Just not that way in public schools. You can kick them off the team ,which is against the rules, or lose alot of kids.

I am comparing Lake Co and the private school who put them out of the playoffs, Lake Co had 22 players and JCS had around 50.