Does Middle School Prepare Players for High School?

WinWhenItCounts

I have noticed that the fundamentals of the game are leaving us because at a younger level a lot of coaches in rec league ,etc... are more worried about teaching the kids plays and passing it to the best player rather than working on the things that really matter. What's everybody's take on it?

I believe you should go cuss those coaches out.... :thumb:

• 1 month later...

I have noticed that the fundamentals of the game are leaving us because at a younger level a lot of coaches in rec league ,etc... are more worried about teaching the kids plays and passing it to the best player rather than working on the things that really matter. What's everybody's take on it?

I agree. There are some coaches who still teach kids how to play, but some are just concerned about the win/loss ratio. To me, middle school isn't about winning and loosing, it's about getting them ready to win on the high school level.

I agree. There are some coaches who still teach kids how to play, but some are just concerned about the win/loss ratio. To me, middle school isn't about winning and loosing, it's about getting them ready to win on the high school level.

A large part of learning the game is learning to win. I will agree, winning is not the priority, but it has to be the goal. Sometimes teaching kids to become concerned about the team is the best you can do, unselfish players are harder and harder to come by.

The problem that you run into when you try to teach fundamentals and not just plays is the fact that parents/school administration expect to win. There are not many coaches that can just coach good fundamentals and get kids ready for high school and not worrying about winning because the parents would be out to find a new coach. It's a sad but true thing! I think you have to find a good balance.....

The problem that you run into when you try to teach fundamentals and not just plays is the fact that parents/school administration expect to win. There are not many coaches that can just coach good fundamentals and get kids ready for high school and not worrying about winning because the parents would be out to find a new coach. It's a sad but true thing! I think you have to find a good balance.....

It has always been my philosophy --

If you teach them to play, and play correctly, winning will take care of itself.

Very true, but shouldn't you be able to teach the fundamentals well enough to be competitive and beat the teams that are centered around one player?

• 3 months later...

As a former middle school coach and current high school head coach, it is extremely important to teach the fundamentals. I've always believed that teaching the fundamentals is how you win the game. The game is won and lost in practice and you must have those fundamentals in place to be able to compete at a high level.