TSSAA officals & Bruce Pearl

WaCoJaCo

If it was not Bruce Pearl then he wouldnt have been kicked out. Im sure they were parents and students yelling things 50 times worse. And I know that he should be held to a higher standard and yall that junk, but his name got him kicked out not his actions.

And he may not be the poster boy for being classy but what has he done that was not classy?

Have you ever heard of a college coach getting ejected while scouting a high school game?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever heard of a college coach getting ejected while scouting a high school game?

OK, he didn't really get ejected. The Ref. wanted him ejected but school officials ask him to calm down. He went out and came back in later. All this because he yelled "let them play". He clearly did nothing wrong as many fans were yelling far worse things, as they do at every game. The Ref. singled him out because of who he is, plain and simple.

Pearl must not have been ejected since he later returned and watched the rest of the game.

No he was not ejected I was there watching the game and later talked to him while he was signing others autographs... All they did was have a administrator talk to him in the concession stand area for just a min. it was not a big ordeal or anything and he didnt do nothing wrong.. I heard much worst that night I promise and the refs did not budge a bit to even think about saying something to them people.. There was a Indiana recruiter there to I wonder what his thoughts were lol

Even though this is not a big deal AT ALL, I still believe the ref in the game wasn't going to get shown up by Bruce Pearl, and I don't believe his intention was to get his name known. When Coach Pearl was hired at Tennessee, I for one was pretty worried about how he would be received by Vols fans, after watching how animated he was in interviews. He is the type of coach that would be extremely popular up north at a school like Syracuse or Pitt, or at one of the Florida schools (Steve Spurrier at UF comes to mind), but I honestly believed because of his animated antics on the sidelines UT fans would be turned off, having been accustomed to, FOR YEARS, coaches that are more catatonic than explosive (i.e. Jerry Green, Buzz, and to a lesser extent, Kevin O'Neill, and on the football side, of course, Philip Fulmer). His wins transcended that thought, and I notice at games that fans, especially older ones, are quietly amused by his outbursts, as if it's a case of, "Well, that's Bruce." His appeal to these fans is that these fans, probably living in or around Knoxville for years, and the laid-back Southern scene that comes with it, have never come across a public figure in the area like Bruce Pearl. I am not the oldest guy on this message board to be sure, but I don't know if there has ever been anyone around this program even close to the intensity level Pearl has displayed over this past year plus. So, with that in mind, this ref, thinking along these same lines most likely, was probably a tad intimidated by the thought of this big-time coach coming into his gym. And when said big time coach starts to yell at the ref, the ref and his already wary awareness of Coach Pearl comes to regard it as a personal challenge rather than a normal fan yelling during a normal game, leading to his itchy trigger finger in the case of ejecting him. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter...

Also, if UT does start to lose some, watch for how fans treat Bruce if he gets, say, a technical in the second half of a close game. This is definitely going to be one of the more interesting b-ball seasons in recent memory.

Bruce Pearl is doing justtttt fine....atleast he's recruiting in-state talent and not going to other states...he is making tennessee into a competitor now.. :thumb:

Unless an official is physically threatened or cursed at - audibly in the range of many - he or she needs to keep his/her attention on the court.

I dont care if its Joe Schmoe, Bruce Pearl or George Bush doing the heckling....thats the way it should be.

Exactly, and the bad thing about TSSAA officials is most of them are too soft-skinned to be doing ANY form of officiating. I was at a game just last week and a fan yelled out "that's a walk" on a blatant travel, and the official starting looking in the stands for this "evil person." That in itself is officiating 101. Never look in the stands unless all Hades is breaking out. But unfortunately what you get is a bunch of men that have either the "short man syndrome" with a whistle and feel important, or you have the social rejects that have no clue what is going on but are out there because they feel like they belong to something. I have always said I would never say anything to an official unless one they are completely out of position, which happens about 100 times a game. Or two they are blatantly bad, or initiate something with a player. Which happens about 10 times a game. Heck in the same game a shot was made and ALL 3 officials watch the ball. Don't get me wrong, there are a few officials that are respectable and do a decent job. But the TSSAA needs to re-evaluate the officials and go from there.

And as for whoever said that Bruce Pearl was alot like Bobby Knight and was more about show I would ask have you ever played any sport in college? To me there was nothing better than knowing that I had a coach that cared, and a coach to where if we felt like we were getting shafted would stand up for us. I can promise you that if you go to a UT basketball game you won't see many players showing up officials or arguing calls. That IS the coach's job and Pearl does it wonderfully. And whatever it is he is doing to the UT basketball program, he needs to continue it.

Edited by JHITE7

Even though this is not a big deal AT ALL, I still believe the ref in the game wasn't going to get shown up by Bruce Pearl, and I don't believe his intention was to get his name known. When Coach Pearl was hired at Tennessee, I for one was pretty worried about how he would be received by Vols fans, after watching how animated he was in interviews. He is the type of coach that would be extremely popular up north at a school like Syracuse or Pitt, or at one of the Florida schools (Steve Spurrier at UF comes to mind), but I honestly believed because of his animated antics on the sidelines UT fans would be turned off, having been accustomed to, FOR YEARS, coaches that are more catatonic than explosive (i.e. Jerry Green, Buzz, and to a lesser extent, Kevin O'Neill, and on the football side, of course, Philip Fulmer). His wins transcended that thought, and I notice at games that fans, especially older ones, are quietly amused by his outbursts, as if it's a case of, "Well, that's Bruce." His appeal to these fans is that these fans, probably living in or around Knoxville for years, and the laid-back Southern scene that comes with it, have never come across a public figure in the area like Bruce Pearl. I am not the oldest guy on this message board to be sure, but I don't know if there has ever been anyone around this program even close to the intensity level Pearl has displayed over this past year plus. So, with that in mind, this ref, thinking along these same lines most likely, was probably a tad intimidated by the thought of this big-time coach coming into his gym. And when said big time coach starts to yell at the ref, the ref and his already wary awareness of Coach Pearl comes to regard it as a personal challenge rather than a normal fan yelling during a normal game, leading to his itchy trigger finger in the case of ejecting him. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter...

That's not a bad assessment of what probably happened. I spoke with a guy from Wisconsin (who actually bought season tickets to Tennessee basketball when Pearl was hired to make money off them.) who knew Pearl would turn things around quickly. He told me that most fans would fall in love with the guy because of his intensity and passion for the game. One and a half seasons later you can tag me guilty as charged! He's a player's Coach and he's been a salesman for the Team since joining. Remember the pep rallies before the Florida game last year? I attended the Vandy game last year and happen to run into Coach Pearl before the game. I'm not a big donor to the University, but Coach Pearl took the time to stop and speak with me and my wife and truly listened to what we had to say. My wife and I were fortunate enough to get a picture made with him and we have it proudly displayed in our game room.

Basically, all you Pearl haters need to reserve judgment before you cast stones. He isn't looking to draw attention to himself. He whole-heartedly loves the sport and may at times go a bit overboard, but it is his personality and I personally have no problem with it! Keep up the great job your doing at Tennessee, Coach; you have far more fans than you do haters here in Tennessee! :thumb: