Rutledge Girls

boxn1

So you think they'll sweep Union Co. :thumb:

I'm aware that Rutledge has swept the Lady Patriots over at least the last five seasons, but sooner or later all streaks have to end, right?

You just never know. . .

---rSquared

The Only the thing for sure is death and Taxes, but I would have to say I like thier chances. But that is why they play the games to find out for sure.

Edited by grsports63

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Only the thing for sure is death and Taxes, but I would have to say I like thier chances. But that is why they play the games to find out for sure.

Rutledge won an ugly game today against Washburn. Looks like Stone Memorial and Cumberland Gap were definitely the strongest two teams in the Union Co. tournament. Losing to Stone Memorial was not any type of suprise to most who know anything about basketball. They are definitely a strong AA team. Their only loss has been at the hands of Clarkrange...need I say more. Although the win against Washburn was not pretty, right now any win is good. The post players did a good job holding down a big frontline from Washburn. Coach Roach challenged them before the game started and I believe they answered his challenge well. It was a total team effort with some key free throws down the stretch. Hopefully a win tomorrow against Grace Christian will give the Lady Pioneers a 2-1 tournament record as they head back to school after break and into a tough district run.

• 2 weeks later...

Look what happens when you don't have hometown officials, and what happens when a college coach is there watching Peterson. One she isn't as dirty and two she couldn't get by with it without hometown help. Rutledge beat Seymour 51-50. That's a big change from the last game wouldn't you say???? What do you think about Rutledge now??? Just wondering??? Peterson was basically shut down, and they definitely got into alot of foul trouble. It was a whole different game tonight. Congrats on the big win ladies!!!

Agitating and loving it!!!

Look what happens when you don't have hometown officials, and what happens when a college coach is there watching Peterson. One she isn't as dirty and two she couldn't get by with it without hometown help. Rutledge beat Seymour 51-50. That's a big change from the last game wouldn't you say???? What do you think about Rutledge now??? Just wondering??? Peterson was basically shut down, and they definitely got into alot of foul trouble. It was a whole different game tonight. Congrats on the big win ladies!!!

Ah Junior......... The drive over the mountain was well worth the trip in the old "redneck" van. Both teams played well, and hard. Lots of knocking and pushing.... and of course lots of scoring. There were enough bad calls to go around, but with both teams playing on a pretty "level" field of play... the outcome was much different tonight than is was in Seymour. I believe someone commented earlier in this string that Rutledge needed to stop being Seymour's "step-child". I think they did just that tonight! Good game Seymour and Rutledge! Way to go Pioneers.

Agitating is my game!

Poor old "Sarge". He should take a hint sometime, even the home town guys don't think much of him. He just likes to be seen and heard. Good job by the Lady Pioneers. They have improved alot. Good luck the rest of the season. I am glad I don't have to practice with Lady Eagles today. WSCC was there to see another Lady Eagle and not Meagan. She is looking elsewhere.

Did the upperclassman post player play for Rutledge? Or did they have a girl out? I heard she was ejected from a game last week and would miss Monday and Tuesdays games. This is quite a win for Rutledge even if she did play, but without her, that is huge, wasn't she their most experienced post player? Congrats to Rutledge and I am sure Coach Moore will have the Seymour girls back on track soon, I feel sorry for whoever they play next.

Did the upperclassman post player play for Rutledge? Or did they have a girl out? I heard she was ejected from a game last week and would miss Monday and Tuesdays games. This is quite a win for Rutledge even if she did play, but without her, that is huge, wasn't she their most experienced post player? Congrats to Rutledge and I am sure Coach Moore will have the Seymour girls back on track soon, I feel sorry for whoever they play next.

Orbit4213 you are correct. Kendall Brabson and a Gibbs player were ejected from the game on a controversial call (Imagine that!) and is sitting out this week. Brabson showed some real class Tuesday night when Rutledge and Seymour played. Dressed to kill, hair fixed, and pretty as a picture, she sat the bench with her team instead of sulking up in the bleachers pouting. Classy kid there - real good attitude. It's a shame good kids get caught up in the poor officiating we are ALL getting right now. Let me pause and thank the officials who are doing their best dealing with the "dead weight" that they get assigned to officiate with. The game made the trip across the mountain in the old "redneck van" worth the trip! Sure was cold though! Got to get some windows in that old van. Seymour's ladies seemed a little frustrated in not being able to handle the Lady Pioneers. The girls really stepped up to the plate on that one. Coach Combs had to run the show solo as Coach Roach had duties in Nashville and couldn't be there. The game was rough. The ladies left the floor with scratches, bruises, pinches, and about anything else that could be done and not get arrested! Well, right now I'll have to pull for the Lady Pioneers until they cross the mountain on our side. Great bunch of ladies! Great team! All I can say for the Lady Pioneers for tomorrow night with Pigeon Forge is "Git-er-done"! Ye haw! Fire up the old van honey and let's cross the mountain for a "good-un". Agitating is my game!

Born to "stir the pot"!

Agitator Jr, you're right this game was way different than the last one with Seymour. If you ask me they got a little taste of their own medicine in our house. It was great seeing them in foul trouble because now they know what we felt like at their house. I also noticed that their coaches, players, and fans wasn't complaining near as much as we were at Seymour because I think they knew exactly what was going on. I not saying I like seeing referees give stupid calls to players whether on Rutledge's team or not, I just think they really got what they should've got because of the way we were treated by the referees at their house.

I have to agree with agitator53, Brabson did show alot of class Tuesday night against Seymour especially after what she went through in the Gibbs game. She should have never been ejected from this weeks games because technically she did nothing wrong. i heard the reason she was ejected was because she drew her fist back to punch the Gibbs player wwhich is totally incorrect. All she done was push the Gibbs player because she wouldn't let her jersey go while they were coming down the floor. This however should have not even made it to the point of where they could come to blows with each other. The referees should have done something about the Gibbs player during the game when she kept running her mouth to Brabson trying to stir up trouble, but the refs never could get a handle ion the girls which led to the problem. I believe Brabson is their most experienced post players, but they also have good post players in Acuff, Crews, and Waldroup. But for some reason they want to take spurts on stepping up and playing to their full potentials. Acuff especially needs to step up. I know she's just a freshman but at 6'2" and playing against teams that are shorter she should be hard to stop in the post area just like she was during middle school ball. I know there's a big difference between high school ball and middle school ball, but if you can play ball like most people know she can then that shouldn't make a difference. She just needs to step up and play ball like she knows how to play ball and quit playing timid. Take it to them in the post area. If Acuff and Crews would play like they know how every game just think how awesome the team would be with Acuff, Brabson, and Crews playing at the top of their games every game. I don't think anyone would be able to touch Rutledge with them and Roach, Stratton, and Johnson on the outside. I'm just gald that Crews decided to be the one to step up aginst Seymour in the fourth quarter with Brabson out and Acuff on the bench with four stupid fouls she comitted. Had it not been for Crews in the fourth quarter the Lady Pioneers would've been sending the Lady Eagles back to Seymour with a win. Go Lady Pioneers!!!!!!!!

Agitator Jr, you're right this game was way different than the last one with Seymour. If you ask me they got a little taste of their own medicine in our house. It was great seeing them in foul trouble because now they know what we felt like at their house. I also noticed that their coaches, players, and fans wasn't complaining near as much as we were at Seymour because I think they knew exactly what was going on. I not saying I like seeing referees give stupid calls to players whether on Rutledge's team or not, I just think they really got what they should've got because of the way we were treated by the referees at their house.

The refs at both games left alot to desired on both ends, but that wasn't the reason either team lost the game. Seymour outplayed Rutledge at home and got outplayed at RHS. Fouls at SHS were 23 RHS and 18 SHS. Last game was about 27 SHS and 17 RHS. Seymour plays a much more physical game and has more fouls that most teams. If you don't play physical in our district, A-E. Fulton, Alcoa, etc, you get left behind VERY quickly. Players have to learn to adjust to different types of refs. We have had Sarge on many occassions and he likes to be seen and heard. I think most in Rutledge would say the same. As for Megan, she is a very nice lady that plays very hard and intense. She doesn't deserve the bad wrap you may have. Coach Moore doesn't need defending. Good luck the the Lady Pioneers and Coach Roach.

I have to agree with agitator53, Brabson did show alot of class Tuesday night against Seymour especially after what she went through in the Gibbs game. She should have never been ejected from this weeks games because technically she did nothing wrong. i heard the reason she was ejected was because she drew her fist back to punch the Gibbs player wwhich is totally incorrect. All she done was push the Gibbs player because she wouldn't let her jersey go while they were coming down the floor. This however should have not even made it to the point of where they could come to blows with each other. The referees should have done something about the Gibbs player during the game when she kept running her mouth to Brabson trying to stir up trouble, but the refs never could get a handle ion the girls which led to the problem. I believe Brabson is their most experienced post players, but they also have good post players in Acuff, Crews, and Waldroup. But for some reason they want to take spurts on stepping up and playing to their full potentials. Acuff especially needs to step up. I know she's just a freshman but at 6'2" and playing against teams that are shorter she should be hard to stop in the post area just like she was during middle school ball. I know there's a big difference between high school ball and middle school ball, but if you can play ball like most people know she can then that shouldn't make a difference. She just needs to step up and play ball like she knows how to play ball and quit playing timid. Take it to them in the post area. If Acuff and Crews would play like they know how every game just think how awesome the team would be with Acuff, Brabson, and Crews playing at the top of their games every game. I don't think anyone would be able to touch Rutledge with them and Roach, Stratton, and Johnson on the outside. I'm just gald that Crews decided to be the one to step up aginst Seymour in the fourth quarter with Brabson out and Acuff on the bench with four stupid fouls she comitted. Had it not been for Crews in the fourth quarter the Lady Pioneers would've been sending the Lady Eagles back to Seymour with a win. Go Lady Pioneers!!!!!!!!

I thought Crews really stepped it up down the stretch for the Lady Pioneers. Also, Johnson, Stratton and Edde handled the pressure well over the last three minutes after PG Roach fouled out. I'm afraid Acuff just isn't ready for the challenges at the High School level yet. Maybe after another year of AAU she will bounce back stronger next season. Right now she looks phyiscally weaker than most Jr. / Sr. post players that she is having to compete with. I do think she will be a lot better next year.

Unfortunately the Lady Pioneers could not score against a well coached Pigeon Forge team Friday night. I didn't think this was an extremely talented PF team, but they played hard on defense. The Lady Pioneers could have used some help from Brabson with the scoring. Does she get to play Tuesday? I think Roach has done a good job running the point this year, but she is not a true PG. She really needs to be getting more of the shots from the outside that some of the others are taking. This is a hard working team that seems to have a much better chemistry than their last few teams. They will still beat some good teams and have a shot at a Region berth. Finally.

I thought Crews really stepped it up down the stretch for the Lady Pioneers. Also, Johnson, Stratton and Edde handled the pressure well over the last three minutes after PG Roach fouled out. I'm afraid Acuff just isn't ready for the challenges at the High School level yet. Maybe after another year of AAU she will bounce back stronger next season. Right now she looks phyiscally weaker than most Jr. / Sr. post players that she is having to compete with. I do think she will be a lot better next year.

Unfortunately the Lady Pioneers could not score against a well coached Pigeon Forge team Friday night. I didn't think this was an extremely talented PF team, but they played hard on defense. The Lady Pioneers could have used some help from Brabson with the scoring. Does she get to play Tuesday? I think Roach has done a good job running the point this year, but she is not a true PG. She really needs to be getting more of the shots from the outside that some of the others are taking. This is a hard working team that seems to have a much better chemistry than their last few teams. They will still beat some good teams and have a shot at a Region berth. Finally.

Your right, Crews really did step it up down the stretch and Johnson, Stratton, and Edde did handle the pressure after Roach fouled out. As for Acuff, she is right now physically weaker than most Jr/Sr post players because don't know if ya know but she is still trying to bounce back from knee surgery done in October. I know that's been almost 3 months ago but these are not the type things that your back to full speed the next day, even though she is way ahead of where many expected her to be. As for what I here some saying around the games, she has been ready to play at high school for quite awhile. But the sad truth is that after breaking her middle school record, maybe us die-hard Rutledge fans have expected her to play through this injury like she played through her middle school injuries, but I guess if I had suffered an injury that required surgery I wouldn't be back to the top of my game either. I believe your are right she will be stronger next year after fully recovering from her knee surgery and switching AAU teams. So yes I believe Acuff will be a whole lot stronger come next year, and she may even start coming into her own before season is said and done, but she is only one player on a team of talented young ladies that are working together to reach their goals. The Lady Pioneers are a talented, hard-working team that does have better chemistry than past teams. GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!!!