Rutledge Girls

boxn1

Easy there grsports63, I have never claimed to know everything about Rutledge sports. I only asked a question about whether or not they are improved. Just by looking at their record they seem to be. You make good points about their opponents record thus far, I was not aware of that. I am out of pocket and don't get to see many games anymore. Most of my info is second hand. If you are correct about defense and rebounding then it will catch up with them eventually. I guess I was just hoping they had improved but you have shot me down on that one. I will need to stop listenening to my sources and get my info from someone more knowledgeable in the future. :blink:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grsports,

It looks like you were right. Saw on the scoreboard that they lost to WG last night, I thought they would win that one for sure. Defense must have been bad. They better bring their best tonight. I'm going to be there hopefully if all goes well at work today and I can get out on time.

Grsports,

It looks like you were right. Saw on the scoreboard that they lost to WG last night, I thought they would win that one for sure. Defense must have been bad. They better bring their best tonight. I'm going to be there hopefully if all goes well at work today and I can get out on time.

boxn1, You'd better get there early 'cause the gym will be full. I'm planning on crossing the mountain early to get a seat. Was there last night for the game. Rutledge girls played great, as did WG. The refs took it on the chin for some calls, or missed calls as WG thought. Calls went both ways. WG just wanted a little "edge". Sometimes it just doesn't pay to "over-do" a foul. It can be costly as some found out last night. Good game at Rutledge!

BORN TO AGITATE!

I saw the Rutledge vs Seymour girl's game tonight and before I say anything else...Seymour has a great team. They are well coached, play ferocious defense, and have several talented players. If they play Rutledge 100 times they would beat them 100 times.

With that being said, I saw a couple of things that really appalled me tonight. One...the three gentlemen that refer to themselves as referees were possibly the most inept at officiating a game as I have ever watched. Sometimes I think when TSSAA went to three officials many of them saw this as an opportunity to be lazy. They were often out of position, could not report the correct # to the scorers table several occasions, allowed the physical nature of the game to get out of hand, and sometimes I feel they just turned their head so they would not have to make a call.

Two...I never like reading posts that belittle players because they are just kids. But, I saw some of the most flagrant cheap shots tonight by #50 (of Seymour) that I have ever witnessed. Three plays tonight she could have and should have received technical fouls and did not receive anything. One she delivered a shoulder and forearm to a Rutledge player's chest that lifted her off her feet and sent her crashing to the floor. (No call). The second was on the next trip down the floor and she intentionally tripped the same player and shoved her to the floor...again without any call from Larry, Moe or Curly. A few plays later, she obviously had lost her cool and was out of control, she was entangled with another player and got called for a foul. After the scramble for the ball ended up on the floor, she intentionally kicked the girl while they were on the floor. The Rutledge player got up a slung her off of her and got called for a technical. Again, I have never posted (and will never) if a student athlete has a poor game or is just not a good player. Let me say that #50 was arguably the best basketball player on the floor. Although these actions tonight, I feel were intolerable. I will say that another Rutledge player later received a technical. The call was warranted, because she obviously chopped a player out of frustation after another (no call).

Players make mistakes because they are kids. They take bad shots, turn the ball over, foul when they are out of position. But there is no place in High School basketball for cheapshots. This looks like a golden opportunity for Rutledge to end their step child relationship with Seymour and stop putting them on the schedule.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Number 50 (Peterson I believe it is) has been this way since beginning high school. Not only should the referees be able to do something about it, but her coach should take some control/responsibility for it. Possibly the most dirty player I have seen in a while, even though she is a very good player.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Number 50 (Peterson I believe it is) has been this way since beginning high school. Not only should the referees be able to do something about it, but her coach should take some control/responsibility for it. Possibly the most dirty player I have seen in a while, even though she is a very good player.

Couldnt agree with you more. This is not new news to teams that have been playing Seymour for years. Although the referees should be able to do something about this on the floor I think all the fault should lie with Coach Moore and the young ladys parents. There is no excuse for the "cheap shots" and play of this nature. She is a very good high school basketball player and should realize that when college coaches see this kind of stuff it tends to turn them off towards a player because it shows the kind of character and integrity a player has. Play hard and play to win, but don't play dirty.

Couldnt agree with you more. This is not new news to teams that have been playing Seymour for years. Although the referees should be able to do something about this on the floor I think all the fault should lie with Coach Moore and the young ladys parents. There is no excuse for the "cheap shots" and play of this nature. She is a very good high school basketball player and should realize that when college coaches see this kind of stuff it tends to turn them off towards a player because it shows the kind of character and integrity a player has. Play hard and play to win, but don't play dirty.

I can't pass this one up. Traveling over the mountain to watch Rutledge and Seymour was an eye-opener. Larry, Moe, and Curly? Please, don't insult the Stooges that way! I've seen a lot of basketball over the last 40+ years, and these "so called" officals were the absolute worst. Someone should send a tape to TSSAA of their total lack of knowledge of the rules. When questioned by the coaches on the floor about some of the calls, their only response was a "SO". Rutledge got a raw deal, that's no question! I'm not sure if the game was football or basketball. When a team can trip, elbow, and in general make most every foul know, and get by with it, no one could win. Coaches CAN control their players if they want to, and that didn't happen either. This "win at any cost" mentality has to go! I won't single coaches out, but everyone knows which ones subscribe to this mentality. The Seymour fans were pretty nasty to some of the Rutledge fans/parents. It will be interesting to see how the Rutledge Rowdies respond to that when Seymour comes to Rutledge in a couple of weeks. Shoud be interesting. I think I'll cross the mountain again to see that one. By the way, Rutledge is not, never has been, and never will be the step-child of Seymour. Hopefully the coaches will continue scheduling games. It's a good rivalry! We'll see how things go with the "football plays" when Seymour comes to Rutledge. Think I'll fill the old van up with my redneck buds and drive on over!

BORN TO AGITATE & LOVE IT!

Freshman name is Ashlee Acuff...She has the potential to be a very good player. Saw her play as an 8th grader just needs to be used in the right way..didn't see that last year...

Boxout your correct Acuff is a good player who's potential is finally being utilized by Coach Roach who is the only coach that sees her all around potential. If needed she can play inside or out and that has been seen this year by the 3's she's pulled up when needed in the last minute crunch. I did hear she is recovering from knee surgery and still isn't back to full speed but when she is full speed i think the opposing teams will feel her presence. Rumor has it that she is moving AAU teams can anyone confirm or deny that? Just curious who she played previously for and where she's going so i can watch her contiinue to grow during the summer. Acuff is only one of a very talented high school team.....GO Big Blue.

FYI: i'd say after seeing her up close she is 6'2" she almost towers her coach.

orbit4213 i agree totally she is the dirtiest player i've seen in years but the sad part is she's a good player but her antics over power that. I can't see many colleges wanting a player like that unless it's "Meano Geno" but hey i hear UConn likes their apple bad.......agitator53 man you've got me going redneck....can i join your carpool... oh ya i think the refs should be named Dumb, Dumbier and Dumbest. yee haw.

orbit4213 i agree totally she is the dirtiest player i've seen in years but the sad part is she's a good player but her antics over power that. I can't see many colleges wanting a player like that unless it's "Meano Geno" but hey i hear UConn likes their apple bad.......agitator53 man you've got me going redneck....can i join your carpool... oh ya i think the refs should be named Dumb, Dumbier and Dumbest. yee haw.

Dumb, Dumber, & Dumbest. Pretty good one. It fits. Come on over and join the van ride. Hey, once you go "red", you never go back! I don't blame players for pushing the envelope. That's what they are supposed to do, and do all they can in the process. In high school, the coach is supposed to hold the "chains" tightly, and keep the players focused on doing what needs to be done. If a player is "out of line" consistently, it's the coach's fault more so than the player. I'll save you a seat on the "redneck express"!

AGITATING IS MY LIFE!

Boxn1, I think we now have the answer to your Question. Rutledge has played the first part of the schedule and now I think we can say that the Team has not improved from last year. A three point loss to a West Greene team that only had one girl in the post that could match up we Rutledge size but she had 34 points. Rutledge played Claiborne a good game but their two post player had 17 and 11 points. And a good Seymour team just man handle the lady Pioneers. As I said I think Rutledge will have problems as long as they can not defend the post and do not Box out as a Team. If things do not change I see them finishing with a 15 wins & 16 losses at Years end, if every thing goes well the second part of the year and I see them finishing 4th or 5th in the district.

I think they will sweep Union county and splitting with Pigeon Forge and they may not be able to beat Cumberland Gap, Gatlinburg Pittman or Claiborne County

I sure hope I am wrong but I don't see them making the region Tournament again this year.

It is kind of sad they have a lot of good kids this year.