Rudesill

Rade Butcher

Burdine is the head coach there now? I did not know that. That guy could play.

Nope he's the assistant. But having him involved should help Hardin Co. He brings a lot to the table.

And I agree with truhoopsfan

I don't know how many games he would win. But, his kids would learn fundamentals and get better in his program.

Edited by montague1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudesill can sit during games because his teams are coached during practice and not games. He really does a good job of teaching the game and his teams are usually in great shape physically.

Excelent point.

I know that all sports require a lot of pre-game practicing, planning, and training, but to me at my limited experience in rec league coaching, there is very little a coach can do on game night in basketball. All the coaching is done befoe the game. Maybe change from a man-to-man to a zone or make sure the hot shooter is in, but it doesn't take a firey guy on the sideline on game night to necessarily be a great coach.

Rudesill can sit during games because his teams are coached during practice and not games. He really does a good job of teaching the game and his teams are usually in great shape physically.

Part of what makes him a great coach. Some coaches like to stand up and bark orders(i.e. pass! shoot!) the whole game. The good coaches teach their kids what to do in certain situations and let the kids play the game.

Part of what makes him a great coach. Some coaches like to stand up and bark orders(i.e. pass! shoot!) the whole game. The good coaches teach their kids what to do in certain situations and let the kids play the game.

Absolutely. David Russell (Bradford/Gibson Co.) is the same way during games - a few instructions here and there, but no barking the whole time and he rarely gets out of his seat. See if you can get into one of these guys' practices if you want to hear their voice or see them up moving around. (Both have laid claim to more than one gold ball by the way.)

I guess I'm kinda partial, since he's a friend of mine, But Rick is a great coach who truly cares about the kids-players and his students. And I also agree with truhoops that he teaches the fundemantals.

Anyone who doubts him should go back and look at his record over the last several years...not just while Willie and Wayne were here. He's had some talent, but he taught them the game also.

And he doesn't really like the spotlight...and that is what helps him to be a good coach.

But I'm not going to knock the other two schools. I don't know that much about them really.

Absolutely. David Russell (Bradford/Gibson Co.) is the same way during games - a few instructions here and there, but no barking the whole time and he rarely gets out of his seat. See if you can get into one of these guys' practices if you want to hear their voice or see them up moving around. (Both have laid claim to more than one gold ball by the way.)

You're right...it's a rare thing for Rudesill to get fired up during a game.

But practice is another matter sometimes! :unsure:

Edited by firefulmer

Rudesill, Russell, Steve Patterson, Willie Tyson and others all for the most part did their work before the season started, much less the night of the game. Their teams for the most part play hard, loose and are physically and mentally pretty tough. They depend on each other and themselves when on the court.

These guys will always be successful. Others put on a show because they want attention. Others call every play off. & def. every time down the court. Those are on a power trip. Neither will be highly successful as they will not mold leaders and the coach doesn't evidently show enough trust in his players or have enough confidence in his practice coaching to trust anything they do in games. Kids see through this and it takes away from the team.

I've been in many of their practices...he makes them WORK..he teaches everything from fundamentals to what to do in game situation...and this is in practice EVERYDAY...not just one thing every other day but everyday

Some coaches sit down and some coaches are up all the time. There are some quality coaches who are up and barking. It mostly has to do with personality of the coach. Coaches who do their work in practice usually reflects in their team's play. Just take a look a college games to see if the majority are up or sitting down. Sometimes coaches give their teams what they need - times to sit down and shut up and times to get up and bark. I personally like the ones who are up and into the game with the kids but some do take it to far.