What's Goin' On With Oak Ridge Football Off Season

Cactus Jack

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It starts with the coaches and as long as they are cursing and acting a fool the kids won't ever improve. I laugh when I remember how the new staff was going to get all of the great athletes that Lussier never could get to come play. They would have much more talent and greater numbers and score large amounts of points. Tell me which of those things came to pass. I NOW hear a bunch of excuses about a lack of talent. I agree....at the coaching level...not the players.

Ole Dad

Oak Ridge[/url]r' post='826303009' date='Dec 13 2006 - 08:20 PM']

I know that they started this past Monday. The term discipline is being thrown around alot...but is anyone catching???

Edited by Ole Dad

Oak Ridge[/url'>r' post='826303009' date='Dec 13 2006 - 07:20 PM']

I know that they started this past Monday. The term discipline is being thrown around alot...but is anyone catching???

This past Monday? What in the world have they been doing since the season ended? They should have been in the weight room the Monday after their last game working HARD for the next season!

This is NOT the Oak Ridge I have known and respected for SOOOO long.

They should fire the 2 idiots, Bailey and Green, that got us into this mess. They are the problem with OR football because they don't want it to be successful and have done what they need to do to ensure it isn't. Chucky is too busy watching "The Chuck Dome" rise from the ashes. Next election is should start with the school board and get the ones that are anti athletics off the board once and for all. The problem is that the population is getting so old that there is a bunch of OLD, Liberals on the board that don't care about sports...especially football.

Ole Dad

are any changes being made at Oak Ridge

Edited by Ole Dad

Ole Dad... I have a question. Are you dissatisfied at Stevens or Green and Bailey? Is it because the political game that has been played for so long in Oak Ridge backfired? I can't see anyone more qualified than Stevens. He has been a head coach in a tradition rich program. So he is used to the pressure. He has turned a program around AE went 1-9 before he got there. And most important no one more qualified wanted the job. I hear of a coach Gray or Grace I don't know him but I heard his only head coaching job was at a junior high school. I also heard that he was always at odds with the head coach lusier. That is just specualtion I don't know if true. But out of the qualified coaches you have to go with Stevens. A home town kid who still lives in Oak Ridge. Therefore the adjustments will not be as much. When you don't get the other big name coaches you either hire within or someone very familiar with your program and Stevens was very familiar and to add the fact that he was a successful high school coach. And if you bring up it was in 3A. Ask Farragut, William Blount, Heritage, Karns, not to mention the Bradley County or the other teams if they would like to play in region 2AAA. I would bet the only teams that would make the playoffs are Oak Ridge and Ooltewah.

He can't even get the coaches to show up for the meetings.

I will agree with you on that. It is Stevens responsibility as the head to get his coaches in order. I guess he didn't worry about things like that at Austin East. He had a couple of coaches that he worked well with. I still think he was the most logical choice though. But you are exactly right something fell apart internally this year. I'm learning as I read. Just a note I remember after AE won the state they had a lackluster year. Maybe Stevens needs a little humbling.

I wish any coach at OR well. A fan would be a lunatic to wish their own team bad luck. Do I think the correct choice was made in coaching changes? Heck no! I can tell you from people very close to the program that it is a disorganized mess. I can also predict that OR may go 3-7 next year and be real close to correct if things don't change right away.

Ole Dad

I will agree with you on that. It is Stevens responsibility as the head to get his coaches in order. I guess he didn't worry about things like that at Austin East. He had a couple of coaches that he worked well with. I still think he was the most logical choice though. But you are exactly right something fell apart internally this year. I'm learning as I read. Just a note I remember after AE won the state they had a lackluster year. Maybe Stevens needs a little humbling.

I am a huge Stanton Stevens fan. Lusier had many more athletes for many more years, but could never get to the big game. Yet Stevens comes in and takes them all the way. I don't think the tallent level was near what Lusier had had in previous years. I do agree that something needs to be done, and believe me Stanton will take care of it. As far as working out the week after the season ends, could be a way to lose several players from burn out. You have to give the kids a couple of weeks off to gather themselves and get back in the mode. It also gives a coach a chance to spend a couple of weeks with his family he hasn't seen in 18 weeks. Remember they are off for 2 weeks for Christmas. Many teams take a couple of weeks off. It also becomes a time when coaches go visit teams still playing in the playoff and championships games to pick up on some ideas, habits, and additions. I was able to view AE before the Stevens era, and afterwards. It has slipped since he left, not to the extreme it was before he got there, but not a disciplined team that he required.

Edited by LEONARDSLOSERS