Harrison Smith

o21putt

If he (or his daddy) doesn't want to go to UT then I could care less. I wish him the best at ND. Honestly, I don't think UT will not miss having him. I think once he gets to college and other athletes who has the same potential but have not had the same chance to develop it (read - $$$$) get a chance to develop it, he won't be missed that much.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Harrison on finally getting the burden off your shoulders of picking a school. I have no doubt that you will be extremely successful and made the right decision for you. Both you and your dad have been unfairly villified for not picking UT. P*ss on 'em! I think you will be able to play earlier at ND. Has there been a white DB at UT since Jason Julian that saw the field? Academics are first-rate at Notre Dame which is probably more in line with your Honor student status. I'm a former Vol and would haved loved to see you in Orange and White but I guess I can at least cheer for one Irish player now! UT won't suffer from your choice, they just reload too.

Congrats Harrison on finally getting the burden off your shoulders of picking a school. I have no doubt that you will be extremely successful and made the right decision for you. Both you and your dad have been unfairly villified for not picking UT. P*ss on 'em! I think you will be able to play earlier at ND. Has there been a white DB at UT since Jason Julian that saw the field? Academics are first-rate at Notre Dame which is probably more in line with your Honor student status. I'm a former Vol and would haved loved to see you in Orange and White but I guess I can at least cheer for one Irish player now! UT won't suffer from your choice, they just reload too.

I have yet to hear one negative word about Harrison in the city of Knoxville - from UT fans or UT haters. I just wish I could say the same about his father. Whatever respect he had in this city is gone. At least let your son make up his own mind - and no, my sources are not sports talk radio.

You are apparently a Catholc fan - ask Harrison himself where he wanted to go.

I don't see how you can go to another college than Tennessee. Charlie W. is good coach, don't get me wrong, but I'm not a Charlie W Fan. He doesn't have a good attitude with his fellow coaches.

"I don't see how you can go to another college than Tennessee...." That is certainly a strange statement, since there seem to be several talented young men whose vision is different from yours.

I have yet to hear one negative word about Harrison in the city of Knoxville - from UT fans or UT haters. I just wish I could say the same about his father. Whatever respect he had in this city is gone. At least let your son make up his own mind - and no, my sources are not sports talk radio.

You are apparently a Catholc fan - ask Harrison himself where he wanted to go.

Steve Smith is being unfairly blasted. I've talked to the whole Smith family about this whole recruiting thing for 1.5 years now. I've known Harrison since his older brother started playing basketball at Catholic. One of the hard and fast rules that they had during the whole process was NO HOME VISITS! That applied to all schools and coaches. UT said that they were refused a home visit which is very true but so was every other school that wanted to come to their house-not just the Vols! My entire family has talked to Harrison as well as the rest of his family throughout the entire recruiting process. Dad didn't make the determination where he went. He visited numerous schools on his own this past summer to see where everyone stacked up. He was really impressed with Stanford but wasn't sure about the distance and level of play. Great facilities, academics and campus setting. I think his dad was just trying to deflect some of the heat once he had decided to go to ND. Asking the UT coaches to stop calling wasn't out of line. I might question some of your sources that are saying otherwise. My son is with him for football and basketball everyday and my wife is one of his teachers. I talk to him at least twice a week after basketball games. I even threatened to take his picture with my phone after the basketball game Saturday night last week with a Virginia Tech hat on. Told him it would make great internet fodder.

Who doesn't think he'll see more immediate playing time at ND?

Steve Smith is being unfairly blasted. I've talked to the whole Smith family about this whole recruiting thing for 1.5 years now. I've known Harrison since his older brother started playing basketball at Catholic. One of the hard and fast rules that they had during the whole process was NO HOME VISITS! That applied to all schools and coaches. UT said that they were refused a home visit which is very true but so was every other school that wanted to come to their house-not just the Vols! My entire family has talked to Harrison as well as the rest of his family throughout the entire recruiting process. Dad didn't make the determination where he went. He visited numerous schools on his own this past summer to see where everyone stacked up. He was really impressed with Stanford but wasn't sure about the distance and level of play. Great facilities, academics and campus setting. I think his dad was just trying to deflect some of the heat once he had decided to go to ND. Asking the UT coaches to stop calling wasn't out of line. I might question some of your sources that are saying otherwise. My son is with him for football and basketball everyday and my wife is one of his teachers. I talk to him at least twice a week after basketball games. I even threatened to take his picture with my phone after the basketball game Saturday night last week with a Virginia Tech hat on. Told him it would make great internet fodder.

Who doesn't think he'll see more immediate playing time at ND? Certainly you irish thinks he'll get to play quicker at ND because he is white. Since you are so quick to point out about white db's not playing at UT, name me let's say 7 white db's right off the top of your head. Past your boy Zbikowski, I doubt you can name 1 more. You make it sound as if UT is the only college that doesn't have a lot of white db's. As I said in an earlier post, this kid seems to be a class act, so I wish him the best. But, playing in the SEC battles would be something special to me if I was a kid good enough to play at that level.

He certainly made the right decision because according irish b-ball you can only play db for UT if you are black. I bet past the Irish boy Zbikowski, irish can't name 5 white dbs right off the top of his head. I saw Harrison play 3 times as I said earlier and good luck to him , but I do not understand a kid that has d-1 ability right in the UT backyard could pass up a chance to play in the SEC wars but I guess that is just me.

Congratulations Harrison! I can honestly say, even in my extreme bias towards UT, that you made the best decision you possibly could have. As stated earlier, you will get immediate playing time in that Irish secondary that sorely needs a safety opposite Tom Zbikowski. UT has great players at the safety position, as well as a few waiting in the wings, and it would have been extremely difficult not to be redshirted. Also the fact that because of your size, Chavis would love to turn you into one of his patented speed demon linebackers, further delaying the chance to play, you and your family have made a great decision for the future. Those are reasons enough, but having a degree from a university like Notre Dame will look pretty favorable when compared to a degree from Tennessee. I am sure you found even more reasons to go on the visit up there, from the pure beauty of the campus to the traditions at that school that will forever be etched into the consciousness of your average football fan. Good luck in everything you do, and make Knoxville proud!

Congratulations Harrison! I can honestly say, even in my extreme bias towards UT, that you made the best decision you possibly could have. As stated earlier, you will get immediate playing time in that Irish secondary that sorely needs a safety opposite Tom Zbikowski. UT has great players at the safety position, as well as a few waiting in the wings, and it would have been extremely difficult not to be redshirted. Also the fact that because of your size, Chavis would love to turn you into one of his patented speed demon linebackers, further delaying the chance to play, you and your family have made a great decision for the future. Those are reasons enough, but having a degree from a university like Notre Dame will look pretty favorable when compared to a degree from Tennessee. I am sure you found even more reasons to go on the visit up there, from the pure beauty of the campus to the traditions at that school that will forever be etched into the consciousness of your average football fan. Good luck in everything you do, and make Knoxville proud!

Californiastars, you are right on the money. I would be ashamed of a degree from UT. Secondly, the UT campus and football facility can no way compare with Notre Dame. A mere 107,000 to play in front of every Saturday at "UGLY" Neyland Stadium. Hey, there is no way the Vols can compare with ND. And lastly, there is absolutely no tradition at UT. They have always kind of been like a Boston College or Michigan St. when it comes to tradition as well as not putting many players in the NFL. I really can't see how UT could compare to ND in any shape, form, or fashion. Oh, I almost forgot their basketball team and facility is far above UT's as well. No recruits out there should ever make the mistake of choosing UT over ND.