Intentional Fouls

58Indians22

Tonight in the Jackson North Side - Middleton Girls game there was a very obvious intentional foul...well, to everyone but the officals. When going in for an uncontested, fast-break lay-up and the trailer for the other team pushes you in the back without even making a move on the ball - that is intentional. If this is never going to be called in the right situation, then why have the call in the first place? :thumb:

I've seen three intentional fouls called this year. All three were called when girls were fouling to stop the clock and only one was a bad foul. It seems to me that the refs are calling more intentionals because the coaches are screaming to foul, but when a REALLY bad foul happens during the game its not called intentional. :thumb:

Tonight in the Jackson North Side - Middleton Girls game there was a very obvious intentional foul...well, to everyone but the officals. When going in for an uncontested, fast-break lay-up and the trailer for the other team pushes you in the back without even making a move on the ball - that is intentional. If this is never going to be called in the right situation, then why have the call in the first place? :thumb:

Girls games are just called different from the men's game. Proof positive: How many charges have you seen called in girls games? I've seen 3 the past four years. Refs just call girls games different.

In twelve years of coaching, I saw plenty of intentional fouls committed, but cannot recall a single one being called. It is the bad no calls you remember. The worst I ever had was in a close JV game on the road. We were playing our biggest rival on their home floor in a close game. One of our players went in for an uncontested layup and was undercut and upended landing on her forearm and head. The ball went in and I immediately jumped up calling for an intentional foul. The referee didn't call an intentional foul, he didn't even call a foul! My player was clearly injured and my team stopped playing. The opposing team had inbounded the ball and was racing to the other end. I went on to the court to attend to my injured player and was hit with a technical foul for leaving the bench. Then I turned to tell the referee what I really thought of his no call and was promptly hit with my second technical and ejected from the game and the gym. I later learned my undercut player's arm was broken on the play. Needless to say we won the game anyway and took the conference JV title that season, despite the worst 15 seconds of officiating I ever saw. The intentional foul is in the rules to prevent incidents like this from occuring, but it won't work if it is not called.

Edited by coachh17

Guest dare_2_dream

All I can say is just be glad that this intentional foul did spark things like they did New York a couple of nights ago whenever an intentional foul was made on JR Smith. Intentional fouls are very dangerous to the players who is being fouled. When they are not called, the refs are doing nothing more than putting the players in danger.

All I can say is just be glad that this intentional foul did spark things like they did New York a couple of nights ago whenever an intentional foul was made on JR Smith. Intentional fouls are very dangerous to the players who is being fouled. When they are not called, the refs are doing nothing more than putting the players in danger.

You are right, we were lucky that the situation did not erupt. I'll admit it was all I could do not to go after that referee. I did give him a pretty good tongue lashing after the second technical, though!

Girls games are just called different from the men's game. Proof positive: How many charges have you seen called in girls games? I've seen 3 the past four years. Refs just call girls games different.

In my experience, following my alma mater, it has been just the reverse: they'll call their fair share of charges in the girls game, but its a block every time in the boys game.........

Oakland[/url]Grad' post='826311498' date='Dec 21 2006 - 10:25 PM']

In my experience, following my alma mater, it has been just the reverse: they'll call their fair share of charges in the girls game, but its a block every time in the boys game.........

My observation is the boys are playing a quicker game and do not move their feet quick enough to get out from underneath the goal to legally call a charge. Girls are able, due to the pace of the game, to get out from underneath and position themselves for the charge. I really don't see how many charges can be called in a boys game right now.

The point is that there is no purpose for the rule if it is not being called. It is the officals job not to let games get out of hand. Their calls affect how physical the game will be played which can effect the chance of injury for players. I am waiting for the day when the officals get sued for letting games get out of hand causing some player to get hurt. Since most teams film their games, there would be evidence to support such a claim. Don't get me wrong, I am all for the girls game being played more aggressively and I in no way want to go back to the old 3 on 3 days. But the intentional foul is to try to keep players from getting hurt and it is not being called in those situations. Whether it is a boys or girls game, this call is for the players protection.

I'm with coachh17....I can remember alot of no-calls....I was watching a game, and one girl went up for a lay-up to take control of the game with around 1 minute to go, and the girl was pushed from behind...Everybody thought it was a foul, so everyone stayed still, but the official put the ball down and started the five count....One of the worst calls ever seen made

I'm with coachh17....I can remember alot of no-calls....I was watching a game, and one girl went up for a lay-up to take control of the game with around 1 minute to go, and the girl was pushed from behind...Everybody thought it was a foul, so everyone stayed still, but the official put the ball down and started the five count....One of the worst calls ever seen made

The best way I have seen the situation handled was lately when a foul was made, obviously flagerant, the referee got the other two referees together, discussed it at length the foul was called intentionally and the penalty was called. This gave everyone a chance to get involved and the coaches were notified.