Science Hill Coach?

HighSchoolFanatic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen.

Amen 2.

Like anything else, you make the changes, you get used to the challenges, and you move on. Boone used to play with DB and the other big boys before the TSSAA reclassification shenanigans. Will it take time, yea, Boone is just now getting on their feet after having a terrible coach after coach Greene and before Coach Jenkins.

Boone ain't alone though, Crockett could move up as well. With the reclassification throwing in teams like Cherokee and Crockett.........Boone wouldn't be so bad off. Yea, playing a team like DB right now is just a bad idea for Boone, but that doesn't mean they will lose every other game they play in the conference. Adjustments will be made, teams will get used to the challenges they are playing at when they play the big schools every week.

You have to admit...........South moving up (lets just say it happened) would be good since they would have more experience every week playing against big teams..........like DB.

The difference in Science Hill and Alcoa is money. Science has made some unbelievable offers to coaches in the past. A former Knoxville coach was offered $60,000 to coach only 10 years ago. I do know that the Hill Toppers can easily double the pay that Rankin is currently making at Alcoa. Do I think he will leave ---NO. He did say he was wanting his sons to grow up in a smaller school setting. Alcoa is a dream job. He would constantly be pressured by the politics of Johnson City. Something that Rankin doesn't take litely. Rankin stays at Alcoa.

Double the pay??? As I said before, Rankin is at the top of the salary list in the highest paid system in the state, has his Ed.S., is getting administrator's pay, plus bonuses for being in the playoffs and winning state. Do you have any idea how much that is??? The man must be making at least $80K at Alcoa, at least. If they doubled his salary, he'd be making more than the superintendent. I've been in JC's schools; I don't think they have that kind of $$.

Double the pay??? As I said before, Rankin is at the top of the salary list in the highest paid system in the state, has his Ed.S., is getting administrator's pay, plus bonuses for being in the playoffs and winning state. Do you have any idea how much that is??? The man must be making at least $80K at Alcoa, at least. If they doubled his salary, he'd be making more than the superintendent. I've been in JC's schools; I don't think they have that kind of $$.

Alcoa is not the highest paid system in the state...Oak Ridge and Maryville are ahead of them.

Alcoa is not the highest paid system in the state...Oak Ridge and Maryville are ahead of them.

I stand corrected:

Alcoa is the SECOND highest paid system behind Oak Ridge, but Maryville is very close, if you're going by average teacher salary. If you're going by entry level, then Maryville is ahead of Alcoa:

http://www.blountchamber.com/business/relo.../education.html

Edited by tornadogold

I stand corrected:

Alcoa is the SECOND highest paid system behind Oak Ridge, but Maryville is very close, if you're going by average teacher salary. If you're going by entry level, then Maryville is ahead of Alcoa:

http://www.blountchamber.com/business/relo.../education.html

Got my info from TEA

http://www.teateachers.org/informationcent...lassroomavg.htm

Just so everyone knows yes Johnson City could easily pay it coaches double what Alcoa pays. Believe me The Hilltopper AD is not worried what credentials the Head coach has as a teacher. Many have their Ed.S. now. They are looking for a football coach. Although I don't think that Science Hill would double his salary, they very easily could. Pitts the former Basketball coach only had one more school that would pay a higher salary other than Science Hill, and if you know where he is you would know why. Pitts the best basketball mind in Tn. They must have seen something in Smith.

Johnson City has money don't let anyone fool you.

I do think that Overbay would have done a good job had he been given the opportunity. The others do have experience as Head Coaches though.

Good luck to the Hilltoppers. The right coach their is sitting on a goldmine.

"I do think that Overbay would have done a good job had he been given the opportunity. The others do have experience as Head Coaches though."

I'm not so sure what it is you see in Overbay. Name the different schools he has coached at to gather his coaching philosophy and how many different coaches has he worked under? Not trying to be negative by any stretch. I'm sure he could be a good receivers coach under Smith, if he extends the offer.

"I do think that Overbay would have done a good job had he been given the opportunity. The others do have experience as Head Coaches though."

I'm not so sure what it is you see in Overbay. Name the different schools he has coached at to gather his coaching philosophy and how many different coaches has he worked under? Not trying to be negative by any stretch. I'm sure he could be a good receivers coach under Smith, if he extends the offer.

From what I am told, Overbay will be Smith's defensive coordinator. This should make a lot of the boys on the team happy because he is a popular coach among the players (particularly the defensive players).