AAU vs. High School Ball

philtenn

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that any player would be benifitted best by doing things, workouts, camps, activities, etc. with the team members they will be playing with. If it so happens that they can be on a team together, then AAU is time well spent, because the more time a team spends on the court together the better they learn to play together.

First, you shouldn't have to make a choice.......the two should go hand-in-hand....

Second, it would be hard for me to believe there is a situation where you could earn a college scholarship without playing high school basketball, could be wrong, but I don't know of anyone where this was the case......

Never should have to choose between the two in my opinion.

First, you shouldn't have to make a choice.......the two should go hand-in-hand....

Second, it would be hard for me to believe there is a situation where you could earn a college scholarship without playing high school basketball, could be wrong, but I don't know of anyone where this was the case......

Never should have to choose between the two in my opinion.

That is exactly right. First, kids get scholarships based on performing on the high school level and their academics. The AAU program should be an enhancement to the work they get in high school. But both coaches should be understanding, but I do believe AAU should be a slight 2nd to the high school program. Cause in most every case that high school coach is going to know a lot more about their players than an AAU coach, cause they are at the same school everyday for a 180 days, plus all their practices, etc. AAU is great to help players get better, and improve their game.

A high school player should not have to chose between her team and AAU. They should go hand in hand. AAU does give a player a chance to play in front of college coaches. The reality is that most high school coaches do not promote their players like our former coach, Coach MacMillian, did during his tenure here at Westview. McMillian would call/write college coaches on behalf of his players and the reply letters from the coaches would come to the high school to be opened in his presence. Since there are few coaches like McMillian, AAU is very important if playing on the next level is important to that particular player.

A high school player should not have to chose between her team and AAU. They should go hand in hand. AAU does give a player a chance to play in front of college coaches. The reality is that most high school coaches do not promote their players like our former coach, Coach MacMillian, did during his tenure here at Westview. McMillian would call/write college coaches on behalf of his players and the reply letters from the coaches would come to the high school to be opened in his presence. Since there are few coaches like McMillian, AAU is very important if playing on the next level is important to that particular player.

This poster is 100% correct on the issue: if you want to play at the next level you must play AAU for the exposure.

ALSO, the player/family must be active in the process of getting their athlete's name out there (sending tapes, attending camps at colleges of interest, etc.)

Some AAU coaches I know are much more active than many high school coaches in getting players looked at.

That is exactly right. First, kids get scholarships based on performing on the high school level and their academics. The AAU program should be an enhancement to the work they get in high school. But both coaches should be understanding, but I do believe AAU should be a slight 2nd to the high school program. Cause in most every case that high school coach is going to know a lot more about their players than an AAU coach, cause they are at the same school everyday for a 180 days, plus all their practices, etc. AAU is great to help players get better, and improve their game.

This is a very good post and I am not sure there is one correct answer here but let me try to explain. If the high school coach is good and knowledgeable and has the right connections with Colleges/Universities and can get players exposure then there is no question he fills all of the roles needed and AAU is just for skills and the exposure it can give. High School Tournaments can somewhat give the same exposure. But the answer to that is how many HS Coaches have those creditentials. The better ones may but how about the others. The player may need both to achieve her goals but what if the AAU program if not as far along with those techniques, then, great care needs to be taken if playing AAU has that goal for the player.

AAU can give skills training and if they are fortunate enough to be positioned enough to attend AAU events, then the time is well spent.

It appears to me, if you look at the bottom line, that the whole effort will cost money. It is beginning to appear that no one does these things without a cost involved, however, the HS coach and staff have a better chance of being a more economical route to take.

So on one hand you have the AAU process which with joining and travel and exposure time is generally well worth the money along with skills training and on the other hand, if a HS Coach is good at what they do, has good connections, has great staffs and is known for training and knowledge of the game and promoting the players is the other side of the situation. Being in a situation that a player is associated with both and both are great, it is the best of all worlds if a player wants to play at a higher level or just wants to excell. But both will cost money whether it be supporting your high school or supporting your AAU program.

I think it would take both but with a shade toward the HS experience because it seems many HS recruiters are just as interested in the player as a person representing their school as just the basketball skills a player might have yet cannot deal with entrance exams, social compatability, etc.

Isn't it great that there are both and isn't it sometimes distressing that cooperation might not be evident as the player and family winds up having to make the final decision.

This is a very good post and I am not sure there is one correct answer here but let me try to explain. If the high school coach is good and knowledgeable and has the right connections with Colleges/Universities and can get players exposure then there is no question he fills all of the roles needed and AAU is just for skills and the exposure it can give. High School Tournaments can somewhat give the same exposure. But the answer to that is how many HS Coaches have those creditentials. The better ones may but how about the others. The player may need both to achieve her goals but what if the AAU program if not as far along with those techniques, then, great care needs to be taken if playing AAU has that goal for the player.

AAU can give skills training and if they are fortunate enough to be positioned enough to attend AAU events, then the time is well spent.

It appears to me, if you look at the bottom line, that the whole effort will cost money. It is beginning to appear that no one does these things without a cost involved, however, the HS coach and staff have a better chance of being a more economical route to take.

So on one hand you have the AAU process which with joining and travel and exposure time is generally well worth the money along with skills training and on the other hand, if a HS Coach is good at what they do, has good connections, has great staffs and is known for training and knowledge of the game and promoting the players is the other side of the situation. Being in a situation that a player is associated with both and both are great, it is the best of all worlds if a player wants to play at a higher level or just wants to excell. But both will cost money whether it be supporting your high school or supporting your AAU program.

I think it would take both but with a shade toward the HS experience because it seems many HS recruiters are just as interested in the player as a person representing their school as just the basketball skills a player might have yet cannot deal with entrance exams, social compatability, etc.

Isn't it great that there are both and isn't it sometimes distressing that cooperation might not be evident as the player and family winds up having to make the final decision.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I agree.

Although,I do play AAU basketball along with my high school basketball team. We are about to start up in Jan. The 15th to be exact. So I'll be playing for two different teams and my HS team isnt nowhere near finished. Some people will find out whats going on and will start rumors such as pick or leave. One or the other. You can't pick one or the other unless things get too difficult. AAU is the top choice for athletes going to the next level to play. Some athletes won't make it to college ball on just AAU. Its required by all rules you must have HS experience.

If your daughter had to make a choice, which would be better time spent: playing AAU during the summer or going to her high school's camps and workouts? I'd like to hear from people who have been through it as well as anyone else who can make a contribution.

If a choice had to be made then i would question the coaches motives(EGO)

what if your daughter plays ....lets say basketball and volleyball at high school and their camps and workouts conflict? Long story -short AAU is a tool for exposure and a high level of competition. To reiterate what one of the other posters said ......high school and AAU should go hand -in-hand. Also some uninformed school coaches are not educated on what AAU is exactly....i've talked to a few who thinks its just traveling rec-league..

I still feel that High School is more important and should be the priority. With that said, there is no doubt that the competition at the AAU level makes them a better player. This is not going to be popular though, but my observation is that, I think the players learn more fundementals with the High School coach, in most cases. I think some AAU coacheds excel with the good talent they get to pick from. Now I do not believe this is true in all cases, but I think it is true in most cases. This is the conclusion I have come to, having observed many games over the past few years.

Now I would like to add though, there is no question that the best players generally play aau, and I think the good players have an aau background in grade school up. I am just not impressed with most of the coaching I see in aau ball. There are some coaches that I think are very good, but not that many.

If a choice had to be made then i would question the coaches motives(EGO)

what if your daughter plays ....lets say basketball and volleyball at high school and their camps and workouts conflict? Long story -short AAU is a tool for exposure and a high level of competition. To reiterate what one of the other posters said ......high school and AAU should go hand -in-hand. Also some uninformed school coaches are not educated on what AAU is exactly....i've talked to a few who thinks its just traveling rec-league..

It has been my experience if you have a daughter that has multiple interest whether athletic or not and you have a coach or teacher trying to dominate her time for focus on one activity, get away from them as fast as you can. We all need to remember that a small percentage of HS kids get athletic scholarships even with Title 9. I have heard parents of sixth graders telling their kids to improve their jump shot so they can play in college. It is really sad to see a kid that can shoot but can't run fast later in high school fall behind and not play at the next level. It compounds the situation when his or her high school career is judged by the college interest. Let the kid enjoy high school! The goal of HS athletics and AAU should not be playing at the next level but developing a well rounded kid who will have multiple options for their future. AAU and Travel teams are a great way to do this because it teaches them to perform at a high level and get a long in a team/work atmosphere. However, it is not a guarantee of college offers that parents expect with the $$$$'s invested. In my opinion the question is not AAU or HS Ball, but it should be basketball or any other activity that enables your kid to prepare for college and beyond. There are many ways to pay for college and it starts with a kid that wants the education. If the kid works hard enough at any activity trust me either a college or employer will take notice.