Coaches Humiliating Players

papatiger

papatiger

you started this topic. and yes i was there. there has been many complaints about actions like this. the one that looses is the kid. and mountain man hit the nail on the head. politics of a small town rate higher than a childs self esteem.

Coaches do not have the same accountibility as teachers, they can humiliate, curse, and demoralize. They cannot be questioned. Parents should not talk to them. Make your 16 year old talk to a person twice their age. Don't you know, "Coaches are Gods".

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the child or parent humilated in this situation? If the coach is out of his or her control with the players then go to the Athelitic Director or Principal with the situation. I've been on both ends..Player and Coach. Sometimes attitudes with the players will push you to the end of your rope. A good coach will maintain control even if he has to step on a few parents toes along the way. If he is verbally abusing the players then higher authorities will step in. As far as humiliating goes though Pat Summit probably humiliates some of her players in someones eyes but that don't mean she isn't a great coach of the game...

Pat Summit is a College Coach, the players are getting paid in the form of scholarships. The players are older and more mature. Disipline, yes, but humiliation and embrassament in front of team mates and fans just shows the ingorance of the coach.

I will say this, Dickson County has some very talented players and they should be winning many more games than they are, it is not those kids to blame. It is 100% coaching, the talent is there, coach is not. A Coach is a motivator,teacher, counseler, you have to be able to recognize talent and fit into your layout as it will benefit the program. I hate to bash this guy , but he has no program, he has no direction, he does not know how to effectivly communicate with these kids to get the results and motivate these kids to believe they can acomplish a goal . This Coach ( if you want to call him that) has been there for several years now and the end result is failure, not on the kids part, It is obvious to me that he does not posess the skills that are required to be called a Coach..I have seen several games this year and cannot figure out what he is really doing out there,what is his game plan? Nepotism holds strong and if Dickson county will ever get on the map as a Basketball county, Some changes need to be made.

What's your opinion of this:

Team loses horribly, some say they quit during the game. Coach says they are "humiliated by the team." Next practice, constant running, no drills, no teaching, no basketball, all running.

What's your opinion?

Waste of everybody's time and energy, sounds like a lazy coach!

Edited by jeffjoe

I agree a waste of time. Here we have the same thing again. The coach is not taking the time to teach the skills needed to make the team better. But maybe the coach does not have the skills or the personality to reach a child. There are a lot of coaches that take the job for the additional money which is not much. There are coaches that have never played the game. It is ashame that coaches dont have the guts to admit they dont want to coach. There are a lot of people out there that love the game and would love to coach.

First of all, a coach's job is to teach the game and make the kids understand what they do right and what they do wrong. Sometimes, just telling a player doesn't make things sink in. When you tell someone and tell someone to do something (and it doesn't get done) sometimes the yelling and the screaming is the only way to get through to them. Also, we can't forget that these are kids we're dealing with (and sometimes they need to be taken down a few notches in their confidence level)...because to be honest there aren't that many kids that I've seen lately that don't have a little too much confidence in their ability.

Plus, you have to put yourself in the coaches shoes...and if you've never coached, you won't understand. Humiliation sometimes is the only way to make someone wake up and realize that they're doing something wrong. Because trust me, when you get embarrassed once bad enough, you won't let it happen again!

And everyone should quit being babies. People think that you can't say anything to their kids anymore. You better get used to the real world. If you're going to play sports, you better get used to people getting in your face.

And imagine, if the coach is that bad on the court, imagine what that kid heard in the locker room! That's just part of it.

All I say is don't judge until you know what it's like to coach. I played and coach, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the yelling and screaming.

First of all, a coach's job is to teach the game and make the kids understand what they do right and what they do wrong. Sometimes, just telling a player doesn't make things sink in. When you tell someone and tell someone to do something (and it doesn't get done) sometimes the yelling and the screaming is the only way to get through to them. Also, we can't forget that these are kids we're dealing with (and sometimes they need to be taken down a few notches in their confidence level)...because to be honest there aren't that many kids that I've seen lately that don't have a little too much confidence in their ability.

Plus, you have to put yourself in the coaches shoes...and if you've never coached, you won't understand. Humiliation sometimes is the only way to make someone wake up and realize that they're doing something wrong. Because trust me, when you get embarrassed once bad enough, you won't let it happen again!

And everyone should quit being babies. People think that you can't say anything to their kids anymore. You better get used to the real world. If you're going to play sports, you better get used to people getting in your face.

And imagine, if the coach is that bad on the court, imagine what that kid heard in the locker room! That's just part of it.

All I say is don't judge until you know what it's like to coach. I played and coach, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the yelling and screaming.

Did I hear you say you used to coach? Past Tense.

I will say this, Dickson County has some very talented players and they should be winning many more games than they are, it is not those kids to blame. It is 100% coaching, the talent is there, coach is not. A Coach is a motivator,teacher, counseler, you have to be able to recognize talent and fit into your layout as it will benefit the program. I hate to bash this guy , but he has no program, he has no direction, he does not know how to effectivly communicate with these kids to get the results and motivate these kids to believe they can acomplish a goal . This Coach ( if you want to call him that) has been there for several years now and the end result is failure, not on the kids part, It is obvious to me that he does not posess the skills that are required to be called a Coach..I have seen several games this year and cannot figure out what he is really doing out there,what is his game plan? Nepotism holds strong and if Dickson county will ever get on the map as a Basketball county, Some changes need to be made.

You may be right. have you ever talked to this coach about your thoughts?

The same conduct that is expected of a teacher in a classroom each and every day should be the same kind of conduct that is expected on the court. Why should a coach be held to a different standard than a teacher? What changes from the classroom to the basketball court? If a teacher is not allowed to say those kinds of comments in a classroom, then a coach should not be allowed to say those kinds of comments on a court. We have had a double standard far too long.

You know what? You are 100% correct.

There is indeed a double standard that has been in place for far too long. Teachers should be able to employ the same comments and/or actions to get through to problem students.

There, takes care of that. :lol: