Coaches Humiliating Players

papatiger

The same conduct that is expected of a teacher in a classroom each and every day should be the same kind of conduct that is expected on the court. Why should a coach be held to a different standard than a teacher? What changes from the classroom to the basketball court? If a teacher is not allowed to say those kinds of comments in a classroom, then a coach should not be allowed to say those kinds of comments on a court. We have had a double standard far too long.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To many coaches today just want to yell and scream at players some players can take it for awhile but coaches needs to understand that they also need to tell players that they are doing a good job not just just point out the bad always some players can handle being the coaches yell board but after awhile the coach needs to understand that these are just kids and when they baby some players and treat players differently that will only tear the team apart.

I think all coaches should be looked at just like teachers are if a coach needs to be talked to then it is the school system that should look at them most of them are at some of the games through out the year anyway. Just my thought on the subject.

I think it is disgraceful for coaches to humiliate kids especially at games. I experienced the coach at Dickson County in a game with Waverly when the DC coach publicly verbally abused a player that did something he didn't like or was supposed to do. The humiliation continued for several minutes with the coach in his face. He sat him on the bench and every minute would turn and yell at him some more or look at him, like he shot his dog or something. I was embarrassed for the kid and this was not my home school. I am from Waverly.

This coach's action was classless and I think he should be reprimanded or even fired for his action. There is no room for things like this. Yell if you want, correct if you want, but don't humiliate. These are kids.

What do ya'll think?

You know . . . public humiliation is being used, and being considered, more and more by judges as part of sentencing for certain criminal convictions. Abuse is never a good thing whether it is done privately or publicly. But does humiliation equal abuse? A kid might be humiliated simply by a coach loudly pointing out how poorly they are performing. On the other hand a kid might be humiliated just because a coach takes them out of a game and benches them for the remainder of that game, or longer. People get emotional in competitive sports. I would never condone the abuse of a player, verbal or otherwise. Maybe "humiliation", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Kids almost always know when they have made mistakes; and simply need correction, not being berated publicly. Some kids respond positively to this kind of challenge of being verbally chastised, and some don't. :D

Edited by hedgehog

"You know . . . public humiliation is being used,

and being considered, more and more by judges

as part of sentencing for certain criminal convictions. "

hedgehog,

i surely must have misread your post...

are you comparing mistakes in basketball to criminal convictions???

at least those criminals did have a trial and were convicted...

some coaches don't give players that luxury...

i'm sorry if this offends you...but you must be out of your mind...

i also believe that coaches should be held to the same standard as teachers...

that is what they are after all...

teachers of the game...

if a coach is out of line it is the responsibility of the administration (principal)

to reel them back in...

i promise you, they would a classroom teacher...

players shouldn't have to be subjected to bad behavior...

parents shouldn't have to ...

It is apriveledge to play ...

but it is also a priveledge to coach...

just something to think about...

Edited by amazing_chik

The same conduct that is expected of a teacher in a classroom each and every day should be the same kind of conduct that is expected on the court. Why should a coach be held to a different standard than a teacher? What changes from the classroom to the basketball court? If a teacher is not allowed to say those kinds of comments in a classroom, then a coach should not be allowed to say those kinds of comments on a court. We have had a double standard far too long.

Don't say that. A coach is a teacher. A teacher is in the class room, a coach's class is in the gym. A teacher has 15 to 20+ students in confined area. A coach has 15 to 20 students in a gym. A teacher has just her/him and his/her students in the class. A coach has his players, referees, the other team, and 500 to 600 people in the stands hooting and hollering. And you are sitting there telling me that the same conduct is expected? Get real. Especially in today's society you better win, great teachers, who coach get fired every year for not winning games. All i am saying that it is a different environment, more emotion, and you have to be vocal because of the crowd. The conduct ya'll talk about is crazy, most coachs challenge their players. it would be alot easier for them to do their jobs if dad and mom would stop breast feeding and be honest.

Yes, sports are going to get very emotional and loud, and I understand yelling and correction, but being a player, I think that a little encouragement goes a long way.. There's a difference when my coach yells at me and tells me what I'm doing wrong and when he screams that I'm stupid and not a ballplayer and I'll never amount to any kind of player on his team in front of everyone.. Criticism is understandable and expected, but there's a difference between helping someone learn and killing any self esteem that they may have..

Don't say that. A coach is a teacher. A teacher is in the class room, a coach's class is in the gym. A teacher has 15 to 20+ students in confined area. A coach has 15 to 20 students in a gym. A teacher has just her/him and his/her students in the class. A coach has his players, referees, the other team, and 500 to 600 people in the stands hooting and hollering. And you are sitting there telling me that the same conduct is expected? Get real. Especially in today's society you better win, great teachers, who coach get fired every year for not winning games. All i am saying that it is a different environment, more emotion, and you have to be vocal because of the crowd. The conduct ya'll talk about is crazy, most coachs challenge their players. it would be alot easier for them to do their jobs if dad and mom would stop breast feeding and be honest.

I love it, love it, love it! Talk about a double standard. First and foremost, it's been my experience that humiliation to any child at any time doesn't help. There are ways to challenge a child that do not involve humilitation. I also find it contradictory that in today's politically correct seeking society we still allow coaches to conduct themselves in such a manner. It's also been my experience that those that say "quit breast feeding your child", are also those who are quick to hoot and holler when their child is repremanded outside of sports. I mean "get real". Just my opinion.

Yes, sports are going to get very emotional and loud, and I understand yelling and correction, but being a player, I think that a little encouragement goes a long way.. There's a difference when my coach yells at me and tells me what I'm doing wrong and when he screams that I'm stupid and not a ballplayer and I'll never amount to any kind of player on his team in front of everyone.. Criticism is understandable and expected, but there's a difference between helping someone learn and killing any self esteem that they may have..

My point exactly. The situation that I described to start this topic was more than yelling and correcting. He stood nose to nose to the kid, downgrading him in front of everyone and then after that, would turn to him every minute or so and yell some more or look at him like he shot his dog or something. It wasn't like he lost the game for him either, they were up by 30. Kids are kids, correct them and go on. I thank God my kid has already graduated.

Very good quote. As I have said before, if a coach cannot coach without humiliation, embarrassment, and inducing fear of retaliation, he or she needs to find another profession.

BINGO! You nailed it. I couldn't agree more. I saw a girls' team this season that has had its spirit broken, and now you can't get a consistent run of games out of them.

A good coach is a person who prepares his team for the upcoming game during practice. Practice is a time to discuss/teach/go over every possible thing that might happen during the upcoming game. Most good coaches that I have seen do not have to hardly get off his seat during a game. If he does have to yell, then it is yelling over the crowd what defense/offensive play to run. A good coach does not have to yell necessarily at any individual player, that is, if he/she has does their job during practice.

A coach who has to yell at individual players have either not prepared them for the game or the coach has already lost respect from that particular indidivual player.

Edited by westviewman