Jefferson County Position by Position

PatriotMan

I guess Grindstaff has made an impact off the field too. Football only talk please. :)

Did Long or McFall scrimmage? I know they have been in baseball.

Both scrimmaged. Neither initially worked with the first team. Will Darby was the starting QB. It is his first year playing football. A good natural athlete that throws the ball well but had a hard time running the veer. The veer is a very difficult offense to QB, especially if you don't have any football experience. Long came in a little earlier than the coaches had planned and did an adequate job. A good job considering he has no experience with the veer and had just put the pads on the day before.

The veer is about speed and timing and the Pats don't have either as of now. I look for vast improvement during the scrimmage next week. The QB is what makes the veer go.

McFall had about 8 carries and looked OK. Will Brooks and Devon Allen started. Both are 200lbs that are good runners but need to get faster. Brooks looked leaner and faster but he had 2 fumbles after good gains. Allen also starts on defense. The offensive line continued to have breakdowns and it disrupted the timing of the entire offense. Offense needs alot of work. It will be interesting to see how McFall is utilized.

He will certainly have less carries than he had last year....just due to the nature of the veer vs I.

My personal opinion is that he is the PERFECT QB for the veer. Quick, tough and smart.

The defense looked good. There was a more stunting and overall better speed. With the exception of a couple of breakdowns in the secondary, the defense has good potential. Our defensive lineman need to make a committment to lose some weight this summer and gain some speed.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both scrimmaged. Neither initially worked with the first team. Will Darby was the starting QB. It is his first year playing football. A good natural athlete that throws the ball well but had a hard time running the veer. The veer is a very difficult offense to QB, especially if you don't have any football experience. Long came in a little earlier than the coaches had planned and did an adequate job. A good job considering he has no experience with the veer and had just put the pads on the day before.

The veer is about speed and timing and the Pats don't have either as of now. I look for vast improvement during the scrimmage next week. The QB is what makes the veer go.

McFall had about 8 carries and looked OK. Will Brooks and Devon Allen started. Both are 200lbs that are good runners but need to get faster. Brooks looked leaner and faster but he had 2 fumbles after good gains. Allen also starts on defense. The offensive line continued to have breakdowns and it disrupted the timing of the entire offense. Offense needs alot of work. It will be interesting to see how McFall is utilized.

He will certainly have less carries than he had last year....just due to the nature of the veer vs I.

My personal opinion is that he is the PERFECT QB for the veer. Quick, tough and smart.

The defense looked good. There was a more stunting and overall better speed. With the exception of a couple of breakdowns in the secondary, the defense has good potential. Our defensive lineman need to make a committment to lose some weight this summer and gain some speed.

So what would you do with Long if you made McFall the QB? I think Long is the QB you build the offense around and you build a group of running backs that allows you to keep people fresh and able to go both ways. I know McFall, Brooks, Allen look to be frontrunners but it appears we have some good depth at the running back position this year. My immediate concern is finding a good backup at QB and 2 or 3 receivers that can get the job done. Zach will grasp the offense but we need the OL to grasp their blocking assignments just as quickly. They have a lot to learn in a short period, but they can overcome that hurdle. They just have to build confidence and learn how to win.

I do hope that Justin makes some good hires to help the staff in some areas they need help in. Keep a positive attitude and an open mind and lets see what happens.

Geez, DZ and I take a little break and look what the thread turned into. Bashing JA , former Pats, each other, the non complete offensive system, love shout outs. This is the right thread correct? Since when did we eat our own? JA hasn`t even fully been on the job a week, and already getting critiqued.

STINKING VULTURES!

Geez, DZ and I take a little break and look what the thread turned into. Bashing JA , former Pats, each other, the non complete offensive system, love shout outs. This is the right thread correct? Since when did we eat our own? JA hasn`t even fully been on the job a week, and already getting critiqued.

STINKING VULTURES!

JC4life,

Don't you think GUT needs atleast three more assistants, minimum?

JC4life,

Don't you think GUT needs atleast three more assistants, minimum?

3 or more sounds about right, plus a freshman staff. This late in the year, where are they going to come from is the question. Corrections, where are good, experienced, assistants going to come from? A mostly green staff, with a completely green HC may not work too well.

Edited by JC4life

• 2 weeks later...
Have any new coaches been hired yet? Hope everybody is getting excited about this team. Workouts going well?

Congrats to Tyler Stepp on his HJ State Championship.

I understand that Coach Anderson is trying to add an assistant coach out of Nashville. He will also bring his son with him, if he comes, who is huge senior lineman.