MBA

Footballfan15

At the same time, I cannot overlook the fact that he let Ricky Bowers, the best coach in the state and MBA alumnus, walk away. Under his watch great people like Edd Caudill, Damon Regen(alumnus), and Tom Weaver(alumnus) have also left or been asked to leave. I also cannot overlook the fact the he has applied for jobs elsewhere during his time at MBA, the McCallie job being one of those. To me, the thing keeping Gioia at MBA is his ability to raise money. He is an unbelievable fundraiser. He has also continued to improve MBA's facilities substantially(although, not always asthetically pleasing to some). These are just my opinions and surely, there is more to the story than this. I can tell you this: There is a sense of unrest in the MBA community and it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

The biggest disapointment out of all those people you mention is Damon Regen. Ricky - while a great coach - did not run the program with the school's true mission at heart. If he'd had his way he'd have changed the motto to athlete athlete athlete.

Gioia genuinely cares for the students. He's done a few things wrong and he's ticked off his fair share of people, but in his position it is positively impossible to please everyone. I don't know what jobs Gioia has interviewed for but I know that there have been at least as many or more that he has turned down.

Well after speaking with someone on the Hill, my intital assumptions werecorrect. Big red Big Blue is also correct in saying that there has not been one specific event to set the events of today in motion. Remember that, Coach Rutledge wore more hats than just the football coach and a lack of attention to some of these other reponsibilities initially set things in motion. I don't feel a need to spell out the details but the bottom line is that in a sit down meeting Coach Rutledge and Mr. Gioia came to the agreement that it is time for a fresh start in a new direction.

I also agree that the Gioia bashing is getting a bit tired and drawing more negative light towards MBA than anything Mr. Gioia has ever done. Members of the Board were the first to become wary of how things in the Athletic department were being handled. If anything, Gioia was over cautious in his deliberations before acting. It's about time that some of the people who are constantly grumbling grow up and look at the big picture. Academic acheivment is up, the facilities are constantly being improved upon, alumni giving is at an almost record high. Things at 4001 Harding Rd are just fine.

Edited by Redtwin

I know the coach rubbed some of the multi-sport athletes the wrong way at MBA. For instance, if an athlete was a very good baseball athlete as well as football athlete and the athlete future is in baseball, the coach would have very little patience with the athlete during the baseball season. It was his way or the highway attitude. In this case, one of the better football athletes is not playing football. Is this right or wrong, I don’t know but it left some bitter feelings.

Man, with Rutledge resigning, Flatt retiring, Potter changing schools, Baylor's first year head coach Massey, Briarcrest's fairly new coach?, Father Ryan's second year coach, BGA's first year coach, Ensworth's third year in exsistence, who has the most tenured H.C. in DIIAAA for next year. DIIAAA is looking more and more like the DI colleges and the NFL carousel.

Well after speaking with someone on the Hill, my intital assumptions werecorrect. Big red Big Blue is also correct in saying that there has not been one specific event to set the events of today in motion. Remember that, Coach Rutledge wore more hats than just the football coach and a lack of attention to some of these other reponsibilities initially set things in motion. I don't feel a need to spell out the details but the bottom line is that in a sit down meeting Coach Rutledge and Mr. Gioia came to the agreement that it is time for a fresh start in a new direction.

I also agree that the Gioia bashing is getting a bit tired and drawing more negative light towards MBA than anything Mr. Gioia has ever done. Members of the Board were the first to become wary of how things in the Athletic department were being handled. If anything, Gioia was over cautious in his deliberations before acting. It's about time that some of the people who are constantly grumbling grow up and look at the big picture. Academic acheivment is up, the facilities are constantly being improved upon, alumni giving is at an almost record high. Things at 4001 Harding Rd are just fine.

RedTwin, I agree with most of your post. I think alot of this decision was based on the big picture at MBA, as you alluded to. However, I spoke with a few people tonight at the Vandy game that seem to think not all is well. I don't want to stir it up, but I have a hard time agreeing that everything is fine on The Hill. When something like this happens at MBA, where expectations are so high...its a big deal, just as it was when Ricky left. Things will calm down and be fine eventually, put there are two, if not three, sides to this whole issue. I'm confident that everything will be fine. Hopefully, they can make this hire quickly. I also wouldn't be surprised if they hire a seperate athletic director and football coach.

Have you ever heard of the phrase, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"? Well, the heat was coming and the Headmaster is gone. Not just gone, gone out of the country regarding the exchange program. Do you think the timing is ironic? The Headmaster will be out of the country for over a week while all of this blows over.

See BigRed BigBlue, this is not knee-jerk as you have stated. There are more people in the know than YOU know. I am not saying I know everything, however, if you read my earlier post, you will see I stated what would happen over an hour prior to it actually happening. Also, I even stated who I thought would be the next coach.

The deal with Coach Rutledge was not just the interview with BA, however, Coach Rutledge did not do enough to lose his job. My problem is with the way it was handled. Coach Rutledge was to come in late on Wednesday, meet with the coaches, then meet with the players and than a press conference would be held for the Headmaster to have the spotlight. However, in you know who's fashion, he met with the coaches prior to school starting. This is one of many of these types of situations that have occured at MBA in the last few years.

See the problem with Coach Bowers and Coach Rutledge, they could not be controlled. There is a "Little Man" syndrome going on here and if you can't see it, than you can't see the forrest for the trees.

Yes there will be negative things said about MBA and there should be. A coward has reared its ugly head again on the hill and taken down a good man.

See, there are more people who know what's going on than you think!

Best of luck to the rest of the staff for they have many good men and women who work for this fine institution. However, do not cross the "Man" and make him feel as though he has control of you or you might find the same demise.

P.S. The Hill has been tainted.

Best of luck Coach Rutledge, you certainly deserved better than this. Just remember this, what goes around comes around. The Day is Coming!!!!

Have you ever heard of the phrase, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"? Well, the heat was coming and the Headmaster is gone. Not just gone, gone out of the country regarding the exchange program. Do you think the timing is ironic? The Headmaster will be out of the country for over a week while all of this blows over.

See BigRed BigBlue, this is not knee-jerk as you have stated. There are more people in the know than YOU know. I am not saying I know everything, however, if you read my earlier post, you will see I stated what would happen over an hour prior to it actually happening. Also, I even stated who I thought would be the next coach.

The deal with Coach Rutledge was not just the interview with BA, however, Coach Rutledge did not do enough to lose his job. My problem is with the way it was handled. Coach Rutledge was to come in late on Wednesday, meet with the coaches, then meet with the players and than a press conference would be held for the Headmaster to have the spotlight. However, in you know who's fashion, he met with the coaches prior to school starting. This is one of many of these types of situations that have occured at MBA in the last few years.

See the problem with Coach Bowers and Coach Rutledge, they could not be controlled. There is a "Little Man" syndrome going on here and if you can't see it, than you can't see the forrest for the trees.

Yes there will be negative things said about MBA and there should be. A coward has reared its ugly head again on the hill and taken down a good man.

See, there are more people who know what's going on than you think!

Best of luck to the rest of the staff for they have many good men and women who work for this fine institution. However, do not cross the "Man" and make him feel as though he has control of you or you might find the same demise.

Best of luck Coach Rutledge, you certainly deserved better than this. Just remember this, what goes around comes around. The Day is Coming!!!!

If you really believe that the reason he was fired is that "he can't be controlled" then you have no idea what's going on. Not a clue. That couldn't be further from the truth. Whether people like you approve of the job Gioia's done is up to you. But to get in a public forum and write these third grade level diatribes about a good man, and publicly embarass our school like this...it's shameful. I'm embarassed to have people like you in our fold. I would expect a little class and dignity, but I guess that all went out the window with CBG's favorite graduation banner.

I fully expect to hear that from the legions of Gioia bashers over the next few weeks. Anyone who knows at all what has gone on--again, I believe Big Red Dog was the one who identified it early last season--knows that there have been problems all around. To attribute it to the fact that "JR can't be controlled" just shows how far from the truth you are.

The G-MAN has done it again!!!!! It is public knowledge that as the present headmaster he has interviewed for the headmaster job at other schools but he is going to terminate a coach for doing the same. This man is out of control and has ZERO people skills. Everyone wanted to jump on Carlton Flatt and Brentwood Academy for the stunt that they pulled with Tom Moore but this bonehead move by the G-MAN even tops that.

There seems to be a pattern forming at Montgomery Bell Academy with both Ricky Bowers (alum & former coach) being pushed out the door and now Coach Rutledge being forced to leave. I have only ever been around Coach Rutledge one time but for a man to have won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP & 2 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONSHIPS he was a very humble individual. His prep coaching accomplishments are second to no one and he was considered by most to be the best high school coach in Tennessee.

When someone hired a plane to fly over the graduation ceremonies at MBA pulling a banner that said Remember Your Past/Hire Mike Drake everyone should have known that all was not perfect in the ivory tower. I feel confident that the G-MAN will now go and hide behind the three board members that have been protecting him since he first walked onto the campus. What kind of propaganda will the Big Red Machine start to spread to protect not only their image but the image of their so called leader?

With Bowers gone & Rutledge now out of the way what high profile coach is next? Who will the coward target as a threat to his playground?

Gentleman Scholar Athlete: Which one of these does the headmaster represent? He has proven himself to be less that a gentlemen. The education he received must be great or MBA would not have hired him. Does he have the ability to run and chew gum at the same time? Should adminstration be expected to live by the same standards as the student body?

Is the brain trust @ MBA anything more than a group of men that rubber stamp everything that this child (I say child because that is how he conducts himself) wishes to do?

Should some of the alumni wakeup the echos and continue the early spring cleaning by removing the real problem at MBA?

Mr. Carter would turn over in his grave if he knew how this man was conducting himself.

This is the second time that the plane/banner incident has been mentioned. In Ridely Wills' book, he addresses this matter; as I recall the banner said "Call Mike Drake". The issue at hand was the admission of minority students, and Gioia's efforts to insure some level of diversity at MBA. According to Wills, Dr. Drake was contacted, and offered his full support for thsi effort.

This is the second time that the plane/banner incident has been mentioned. In Ridely Wills' book, he addresses this matter; as I recall the banner said "Call Mike Drake". The issue at hand was the admission of minority students, and Gioia's efforts to insure some level of diversity at MBA. According to Wills, Dr. Drake was contacted, and offered his full support for thsi effort.

you're right KW. The banner--a HUGE embarrassment--was in response to an interview with BG in the Nashville Scene in which he said "our past is our greatest strength and our greatest weakness," referring to the racial make-up of the school and his efforts to change them. Considering that when I graduated, there was one Afircan-American in all grades, 7-12, in the entire school, I'd say it was a fair assessment. The banner said something like "Our past is our greatest strength/Ask Mike Drake." Supposedly it was sponsored by some alums, one of whose kid didn't get in into school and was angry at BG's "affirmative action" policies.

I'm a very proud MBA alum. I still wear my class ring, and have the school emblem tattooed on my leg (hurt like the devil, I don't recommend it). I have loved MBA football since the Jeff Peeples era. I'd trade 5 years of my life to play one more game for MBA, and I only made it through 9th grade football.

I've said that basically to prove the point that I'm certifiably nuts over MBA football. I even follow the 7th and 8th grade teams. It's an illness.

However, despite my insanity and general "addledness", even I understand that the headmaster has to be in charge out there; somebody does have to control the football coach. I'd rather all be sweetness and light in the athletic department, with the football team running roughshod over everybody, especially Father Ryan. But as long as the academic side of the house is in order, I'll be happy, and continue to send in my yearly contribution. MBA is first and foremost an academic institution of the highest order, and sponsors a football team because there is a belief that it contributes to the development of the students there.

As to Mr. Gioia, I've seen the man speak twice. I couldn't pick him out of a crowd. Nor does he know me. As alumni go, I'm pretty anonymous. My contribution is relatively small, I graduated in the middle of my class, and was a decent enough athlete to get three letters in track because I tried hard, but had limited talent. In other words, I was very average there, and don't stand out at all. But on three occasions I've emailed the man, once for some educational advice, once because of a Tennessean chat board comment that suggested student behavior at athletic events was less than gentlemanly, and once to mention how pleased I was to see a certain new member of the faculty. In all three cases he emailed me promptly and in a helpful manner.

I'm a long distance away, but I really doubt that the situation is as dire as some seem to think it is. We've weathered worse.

The headmaster is a major problem and has been for some time. He has done many very good things for the school but his PEOPLE SKILLS are less that desired. Quite honestly he does not treat people the way that he would wish to be treated.

The reason that alumni and others are vague with their statements regarding him is that they fear he will hold it against their kids and family as he has done to others. Let's not forget that even though these people dislike the G-Man they still respect the schools mission and what the school stands for.

Someone ask the question of what Mr. Francis Carter would have done? Mr. Carter would have never allowed the situation to get to the point where the two men could not stand to be around one another. He was a matter of fact MAN that would let you know where you stood from the first day you walked on campus. While he dished out heavy doses of "TOUGH LOVE" he didn't run to Europe and hide from problems or get a few board members to cover for him.

Living down here in South Florida I still keep up with some of my MBA friends in Nashville and out of twelve alumni that I speak with on a regualar basis only one claims to like the man but all of them have had their kids educated at MBA.

While it is great to show support for Montgomery Bell Academy and what they are trying to do, you should not throw your support towards a man that is not truthful and does not treat his employees with respect.

If you really believe that the reason he was fired is that "he can't be controlled" then you have no idea what's going on. Not a clue. That couldn't be further from the truth. Whether people like you approve of the job Gioia's done is up to you. But to get in a public forum and write these third grade level diatribes about a good man, and publicly embarass our school like this...it's shameful. I'm embarassed to have people like you in our fold. I would expect a little class and dignity, but I guess that all went out the window with CBG's favorite graduation banner.

I fully expect to hear that from the legions of Gioia bashers over the next few weeks. Anyone who knows at all what has gone on--again, I believe Big Red Dog was the one who identified it early last season--knows that there have been problems all around. To attribute it to the fact that "JR can't be controlled" just shows how far from the truth you are.

Amen, BRBB! "Control" was not the problem. In fact, it had little to do with CR's role as football coach at all.